Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > wrong screen resolution when starting a macbook pro with external monitor

wrong screen resolution when starting a macbook pro with external monitor
aux
Oct 28, 2010, 09:43 PM

My setup: Macbook Pro (current model) running 10.6 with 15" screen at 1680x1050, connected to a 24" external screen (1920x1200) using mini Displayport to DVI. When restating the computer in clamshell mode (lid closed), the resolution on the external screen is incorrect, possibly 1680x150 and shifted to the left, so part of the image is outside of the viewing area and the part that is visible looks bad, because it is not the native resolution. The displays are set so that the external screen is the main one and are not mirrored.

The only way to use the computer is in clamshell mode is to start it with the lid open, log in, then close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, I need to wake it up and the external screen resolution stays correct. This is quite annoying, considering that I was using the same external screen with an old Powerbook rinning 10.4 (miniDVI-to-DVI connection) without any issues.

Any ideas how to fix this?

ibook_steve
Oct 29, 2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by aux View Post
The only way to use the computer is in clamshell mode is to start it with the lid open, log in, then close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, I need to wake it up and the external screen resolution stays correct.
This is the way you're supposed to use closed lid mode, which is why it works. Can you explain better what order of operations you used to use that is now not working?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

aux  (op)
Oct 29, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This is the way you're supposed to use closed lid mode, which is why it works. Can you explain better what order of operations you used to use that is now not working?

Steve
In each of the 2 scenarios below, the external screen resolution was correct with the old Powerbook and is not correct with the new Macbook Pro:

1) restarting the machine with closed lid (the external resolution was fine before restart, in the case of Macbook Pro, achieved by the process in my original post)

2) starting the machine and immediately closing the lid

aux  (op)
Nov 9, 2010, 08:54 PM

any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules