Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "This doc. too large to be opened by SimpleText."

"This doc. too large to be opened by SimpleText."
Barney
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 07:43 PM

I hope this is the correct forum for this problem. If not, please transfer to correct one.

I subscribed to a website from which I'm supposed to be able to download sheet music. It gives two choices of platforms from which to choose. Of course I chose Macintosh. I downloaded what I wanted and it came as a .zip file that was automatically expanded by Stuffit Expander into a folder with the name of the sheet music I was asking for. I opened the folder which showed two documents each having a suffix of .ops. I double-clicked on one of them to open it and that is when I got the message "This doc. too large to be opened by SimpleText." So I tried to open it both in TextEdit and AppleWorks. It opened ok in both but in code. No sheet of music. Any ideas? I would really appreciate some help on this.

[This message has been edited by Barney (edited 04-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Barney (edited 04-11-2001).]

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 07:55 PM

".ops" sounds like you may need a specific sheet music application to view the file correctly. It probably won't be any better, but you could try bumping up your memory allocation on Simpletext to avoid the "not enough memory" message.
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2001, 08:18 PM

you should go back to the site where you got the files from and check to see what program you need to open them. Most websites say what format the files are in.

------------------

swhitset
Apr 11, 2001, 09:43 PM

simple text has a maximum file size limit of 32K. upping the memory will not help.

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 11:09 PM

I could swear this has worked for me a couple of times in the past. I was doing stuff with making snapshot clippings of my desktop.
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2001, 11:22 PM

upping the memory might help with graphics files, but it won't do anything for the 32KB limit on text files.

-r.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 01:25 AM

The limit on text files is pretty final. Could you open the file in another application?

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
Apr 12, 2001, 01:42 AM

SimpleText uses the Systems built in text editing functions and therefore has the same limitations - 32K. You CANNOT go higher if you allocate a gig of RAM to SimpleText.

Use BBEdit.

------------------

bbreen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 01:47 AM

I had a problem like that and just increased the memory allocation to the application (close application, highlight its icon, and increase memory via the file menu). That might work for you.

Barry

------------------

Cipher13
Apr 12, 2001, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by bbreen:
I had a problem like that and just increased the memory allocation to the application (close application, highlight its icon, and increase memory via the file menu). That might work for you.

Barry
Read my above post - you CANNOT open more than 32 K of text in SimpleText!
And the RAM allocation would not be set so low as to disallow that 32K!

IT WILL NOT HELP! Get BBEdit!

------------------

VRL
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 05:00 AM

Agree - BBEdit is great (they have a freeware/lite version). I also use Tex-Edit (shareware app).
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Barney  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2001, 01:58 PM

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the input. The problem has not been resolved as yet. I am getting in touch with the people at the website. I will let this forum know the outcome. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules