Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Titanium FALLING APART! Anyone elses?

Titanium FALLING APART! Anyone elses?
AEdwards
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 09:49 PM

Am I the only one? I can find no other reference to what is happening with my Titanium. It's FALLING APART!

I bought my Titanium a little over a year ago so Apple refuses to fix it!

First, a crack appeared in the lighter-colored part of the frame (which I suspect is plastic) right above the headphone jack. This is due to stresses from the the hinge opening and closing repeatedly. I absolutely consider this a manufacturer's defect. Now, that crack is gaping wide, and others have appeared.

There's a hairline crack on the other side, below the other hinge (as you are looking at it), on that same light-colored frame (on the surface that faces up when the laptop is open.)

And today when I opened up my laptop, I heard a loud SNAP! and the two metal halves that sandwich the LCD screen in place are coming separated in the lower-right corner! Again from stress from the hinges, and again, a MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT.

I'm afraid that any more "normal use" and the LCD will crack!

What do I do? Apple refuses to help me, and third-party repair shops want something like $700 to replace the casing!

Isn't anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by AEdwards:
Am I the only one? I can find no other reference to what is happening with my Titanium. It's FALLING APART!

I bought my Titanium a little over a year ago so Apple refuses to fix it!

First, a crack appeared in the lighter-colored part of the frame (which I suspect is plastic) right above the headphone jack. This is due to stresses from the the hinge opening and closing repeatedly. I absolutely consider this a manufacturer's defect. Now, that crack is gaping wide, and others have appeared.

There's a hairline crack on the other side, below the other hinge (as you are looking at it), on that same light-colored frame (on the surface that faces up when the laptop is open.)

And today when I opened up my laptop, I heard a loud SNAP! and the two metal halves that sandwich the LCD screen in place are coming separated in the lower-right corner! Again from stress from the hinges, and again, a MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT.

I'm afraid that any more "normal use" and the LCD will crack!

What do I do? Apple refuses to help me, and third-party repair shops want something like $700 to replace the casing!

Isn't anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
Ok, here is what you do.

First, send a certified letter to Apple Corporate detailing all the problems with your PowerBook. Give them 2 weeks to respond. If you do not get a satisfactory response, then you should file complaints with the CA BBB and the CA States Attorney Generals office.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 11:02 PM

Easier......

Buy PB insurance from "safeware.com" they cover almost all damages from anything from cats to nuclear war, cokes to electrical spike, from theft to accidentialy tripping over power cord, and even from throwing it against wall after finding that the drivers for most of your external devices don't work under OSX.2!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Easier......

Buy PB insurance from "safeware.com" they cover almost all damages from anything from cats to nuclear war, cokes to electrical spike, from theft to accidentialy tripping over power cord, and even from throwing it against wall after finding that the drivers for most of your external devices don't work under OSX.2!
please don't take this idea seriously
this is called insurance fraud, and it makes it more expensive for people who REALLY need it to have insurance

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by solidage:

this is called insurance fraud, and it makes it more expensive for people who REALLY need it to have insurance
DITTO!

speedraycer
Sep 24, 2002, 05:26 PM

do you really think that ins companies do not take this into consideration when they price out their plans...? And really now... who really is gonna throw their pb against a wall? unless you backup absolutly all your data and then do it... which would be a lot smarter...

speedraycer
Sep 24, 2002, 05:44 PM

do you really think that ins companies do not take this into consideration when they price out their plans...? And really now... who really is gonna throw their pb against a wall? unless you backup absolutly all your data and then do it... which would be a lot smarter...

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by speedraycer:

The point is if you didn't do such things, insurance would be cheaper.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 07:32 PM

can you buy insurance and have it cover a preexisting condition?

This apparently is an issue with some health plans, the greedy buggers....

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by tycheung:
can you buy insurance and have it cover a preexisting condition?

This apparently is an issue with some health plans, the greedy buggers....
you cannot have insurance apply retroactively for pre-existing conditions. But here are is what the safeware policy covers and does not cover:

Comprehensive coverage, including:
- Accidental Damage
- Theft
- Power surge and lightning regardless of source
- Vandalism
- Water damage
- Natural disasters
* 30-day trial period - (Not available in Texas)
* Complete repair or replacement of computer system with no deduction for depreciation
* Optional deductibles
* Coverage at home, in the office or in transit
* Replaces preinstalled software

What types of losses are not covered?

This policy protects in so many ways, but it does not cover these major losses:

* Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or original defects
* Loss of income or interruption of business
* Any preinstalled data or media which cannot be replaced with other of like kind or quality on the current retail market
* Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction
* Loss or damage from fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts by the owner or user
* Systems rented or leased to others
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules