Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > pc usb 2.0 vs. firewire (or whatever they call it)

pc usb 2.0 vs. firewire (or whatever they call it)
speedraycer
Sep 26, 2002, 03:09 AM

My roomate bought a usb pmcia card and i'm wondering how much faster firewire is would be for him to burn cds

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by speedraycer:
My roomate bought a usb pmcia card and i'm wondering how much faster firewire is would be for him to burn cds
here are the theoretical maximum speeds for each standard:
  • USB 1.1 maxes out at 12 Mbps.
  • USB 2.0 maxes out at 480 Mbps.
  • firewire maxes out at 400 Mbps.

however, firewire should hit 800 Mbps and 1600 Mbps in future implementations of the standard. here's an actual benchmark comparing USB 2.0 and firewire. you would expect USB 2.0 to be faster, but it turns out firewire was since theoretical maximum speeds aren't always reliable. have a look. probably the more important issues are cost, chaining devices, and compatibility with older devices.

-r.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2002, 09:15 AM

In real time test these two technologies are very close with the edge going to firewire. Firewire uses descrete channeling which will allow you to get better performance from multiple devices were as USB 2.0 will begin to bog down significantly. Also USB seems to require more overhead thus the 480Mbs is somewhat misleading. One last point. In theory, you do not need a computer to use a firewire to firewire device. But I haven't seen anybody accomplish this task as of yet.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2002, 10:46 AM

plus you can get power out of the fire wire (6 pin plug) so you can charge the ipod and actaully use the power to drive some note book drives so its just one cable, FW is used far more, DV camera, highend Digital Cameras, HD, CDRs but costs a little more, compare the price of the CDRs USB is cheaper.

Also don't forget apple designed FW and Intel designed USB so take your pick

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2002, 09:26 PM

I've heard you can hook up a digital cam directly to a firewire HD and it will record video directly to the drive - is this true?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 04:11 AM

yes, it is technically possible, but it is still up to the camera maker to implement the feature in their hardware.

-r.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2002, 05:09 AM

Whooosh. Did people miss the actual purpose involved in the question?

The answer is of course, it doesn't make one bit of diference speed wise for burning CDs. The speed will be determined by what the burner/software is capable of. No external optical drive comes anywhere near maxing out either a Firewire or USB 2.0 connection even at the fastest burn speeds.

The Firewire interface has its advantages (as already outlined) and USB 2.0-only enclosures and devices tend to run cheaper in price. Better yet, many newer devices have both interfaces.

Forum Links
Forum Rules