Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleCare- Good or Bad

AppleCare- Good or Bad
speedraycer
Dec 31, 2002, 09:40 PM

I have a serious complaint about paying 350 bucks for applecare a getting a senior rep on the phone that wants to be a smartass and tells me her manager will agree with everything she has said and the issue won't go any further- Yeah - I have no job and decide to drop 4000 into apple products and i have to deal with this? I would like stories that i can forward to this young ladies manager that show i'm not alone. BTW all i need is a power adapter- not much like a NEW FREAKIN LAPTOP or anything.

macmike42
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 10:36 PM

My personal opinion on tech support is to never, ever, *ever* depend on it except for comic relief. I would *never* pay for tech support. This doesn't sound like tech support, though...

I *love* my extended warranties. If someone tries to f*ck me out of warranty, they are in for a scene. You do *not* want to be the guy at the Nextel service center who tried to tell me that I broke the AC adapter plug on a phone with a 3 year extended warranty. He handed me a bill for $55 for NOT FIXING a $60 phone, I handed it back. I left with a new phone (who knew they could activate them that quickly?), a new car charger, and a $50 desk charger, plus (most importantly) an apology and a reciept.

If you didn't tell them you are unemployed, I would call them back and go for the jugular. If you *did* tell them you are unemployed, I'm sorry, but you just threw away $350.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by speedraycer:
I have a serious complaint about paying 350 bucks for applecare a getting a senior rep on the phone that wants to be a smartass and tells me her manager will agree with everything she has said and the issue won't go any further- Yeah - I have no job and decide to drop 4000 into apple products and i have to deal with this? I would like stories that i can forward to this young ladies manager that show i'm not alone. BTW all i need is a power adapter- not much like a NEW FREAKIN LAPTOP or anything.
Just keep bothering them with it. Sometimes they'll eventually cave. This is why I hate extended warranties. In many cases the warranty provider tries to blame the customer for the damage so they don't have to pay for the repair. I would ask to speak to the manager too. Sometimes you have to cause a ruckass to get things done...sad but true.

Good Luck

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
Just keep bothering them with it. Sometimes they'll eventually cave. This is why I hate extended warranties. In many cases the warranty provider tries to blame the customer for the damage so they don't have to pay for the repair. I would ask to speak to the manager too. Sometimes you have to cause a ruckass to get things done...sad but true.

Good Luck
I agree. Be sure to write down the names of the customer rep and the manager. I have had alot of success writing letters, especially complaint letters. Be as DETAILED as you can and remember to be professional in your letter. If you come across as one professional (you) trying to reason with another (Apple), then it usually will be in your favor. I would try calling back and explain: 1) that you had a very "unhelpful and rude" person; 2) that you really need this new person's help. Yes, tell them your situation (you're a student & have spent $4K of your student loan getting this PowerBook). Keep them talking, even if they say they can't help. Don't believe them. When they pull that, be firm and ask them to put themselves in your position. There are two basic approaches: 1)Go for the jugs (as someone said) aka be mean & tough; 2) be nice and reasonable. I have found that you do #1 FIRST, then tone it down and do #2. Tell them you appreciate their help because no one else seemed to be very helpful. Good luck.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 06:28 AM

"Discussion, support and speculation relating to Mac OS X."

speedraycer  (op)
Jan 1, 2003, 01:37 PM

I talked to the young ladies manager and finally got the response that i wanted- that he would look into the issue and personally TRY to ship out a new power adapter himself as soon as the Apple databases came back online. However, I should have recieved this at the first person i talked to, not the third, and much less not a manager i'd been talking to for 20 mins.

You know, the best laugh i've gotten out of this are these quotes:

"I don't have a photographic memory,"
-in response to my asking the Young Lady why she would have to walk across her call center to see if her manager was in his office when she could just call. Turns out she didn't even have her manager's phone number.

"If this was such a mission critical application, why didn't you have a backup power adapter,"
-The Young Lady to which I replied, "It's a $3200 computer that's only 6 mos old, I SHOULDN"T NEED a backup power adapter."

I did suggest to the Manager that he include a .Mac box with my adapter or a 100 gift certificate to the apple store, both which i don't think are out of line esecially when i was the one who had to do all the calling and deal with the frustration of Apple's Database update (which I shouldn't) and rude employee's.

Lets see what happens...

Forum Links
Forum Rules