Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > *** I've had it!! Cannot see or ping Wireless Ti from wired IBM laptop on ABS***

*** I've had it!! Cannot see or ping Wireless Ti from wired IBM laptop on ABS***
speedraycer
Nov 7, 2003, 10:38 PM

This is the easiest damn setup.

1. TiBook 800 (OSX 10.2.8)-- Wireless to ABS (10.0.1.2)

2. Snow Airport (dual ethernet) (10.0.1.1)

3. IBM ThinkPad (XP Pro) -- Wired to ABS LAN port (10.0.1.3)

All I want is to be able to "see" my PowerBook from my IBM ThinkPad. I want to be able to get into my public folder on my Ti from the ThinkPad.

I can "see" shared folder on the ThinkPad from the TiBook and move files from the TiBook into the ThinkPad using "Connect to Server."

I can ping the ThinkPad from the TiBook.
I can ping the ABS from the TiBook and ThinkPad.
**I cannot ping from the TiBook from the ThinkPad.**
I did a port scan w/ OSX Network Utility and 10.0.1.3 is open on ports 135 and 139.

All settings are set up for sharing. All items have the latest updates. All are set up with automatic config (DCHP = on), and all are on the same subnet. I have "windows file sharing= on" the TiBook (ports 135 - 139).

Where I am going wrong? I have been reading this forum for tips for the past 3 nights and cannot find a similar situation. I have checked all the basics that I have learned.

Can XP talk to OSX?

Should I manually set DHCP? If I do, what DNS should I use?
( Last edited by speedraycer; Nov 7, 2003 at 10:47 PM. )

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by speedraycer:
This is the easiest damn setup.

1. TiBook 800 (OSX 10.2.8)-- Wireless to ABS (10.0.1.2)

2. Snow Airport (dual ethernet) (10.0.1.1)

3. IBM ThinkPad (XP Pro) -- Wired to ABS LAN port (10.0.1.3)

All I want is to be able to "see" my PowerBook from my IBM ThinkPad. I want to be able to get into my public folder on my Ti from the ThinkPad.

I can "see" shared folder on the ThinkPad from the TiBook and move files from the TiBook into the ThinkPad using "Connect to Server."

I can ping the ThinkPad from the TiBook.
I can ping the ABS from the TiBook and ThinkPad.
**I cannot ping from the TiBook from the ThinkPad.**
I did a port scan w/ OSX Network Utility and 10.0.1.3 is open on ports 135 and 139.

All settings are set up for sharing. All items have the latest updates. All are set up with automatic config (DCHP = on), and all are on the same subnet. I have "windows file sharing= on" the TiBook (ports 135 - 139).

Where I am going wrong? I have been reading this forum for tips for the past 3 nights and cannot find a similar situation. I have checked all the basics that I have learned.

Can XP talk to OSX?

Should I manually set DHCP? If I do, what DNS should I use?
Sounds like a firewall problem. My guess is because you can see the machines and send files that the Mac firewall is blocking ICMP packets. Open Terminal.app and try this.

sudo su -
[enter your password]
ipfw -f flush

now try to ping. That last command clears the firewall rules, opens you wide open. Sould be able to receive ICMP packets.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

speedraycer  (op)
Nov 8, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Partisan01:
Sounds like a firewall problem. My guess is because you can see the machines and send files that the Mac firewall is blocking ICMP packets. Open Terminal.app and try this.

sudo su -
[enter your password]
ipfw -f flush

now try to ping. That last command clears the firewall rules, opens you wide open. Sould be able to receive ICMP packets.

Nate

Nate,

I appreciate your quick response. I neglected to mention I am running Norton Personal Firewall, although that is open for ports 135-139 also.

I do have a question:
Will this reset all firewall settings? Will this work even w/Norton Firewall. Should I uninstall the Norton?

James

speedraycer  (op)
Nov 10, 2003, 07:48 PM

Thanks a lot.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by speedraycer:
Thanks a lot.
Did it work? Any firewall you might have running could potentially be blocking pings that you might want to let throught. The command I gave you will not reset your norton firewall settings. What it will do is clear the default apple mac firewall, you can get your normal settings back by restarting your computer. I would try running that command, and turning the norton firewall off, if pings can get through then turn them back on one at a time. If you want the ability to ping the add the rule in the norton firewall. Hope this helps you out.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules