Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "always open with" doesn't work...

"always open with" doesn't work...
sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2005, 06:21 AM

the macnn search isn't playing with me this evening so apologies if this had come up a billion times before. i've tried googling without any luck, so hopefully someone here can help me out...

i recently erased and installed 10.3 cos it was acting up a bit, but after reinstalling acrobat reader i can't get the thing to open my pdfs - 'preview' is set as the default app to open pdfs. so of course i try right clicking, selecting 'open with' ... 'other' ... 'always open with' adobe reader, and this file will open with adobe reader. once. but that's it.

the next time i open a pdf it'll do it with preview again, even if it's the exact same pdf that i just set to "always open" (that was air quotes, if you missed it) with adobe reader. i've got permission to read and write these pdfs if that could be the issue, so i'm at a loss. arrrrgh.

hardly the end of the world as i only rarely open pdfs but this is bugging me for some reason. any takers?

sminch

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 04:11 PM

On my G4800 iMac Acrobat7 reader took nearly 30 seconds to open, and this just to view a document! Once I discovered PDFViewCM (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21004) I trashed Acrobat for good. Now I right-click, go to 'View PDF' and let the OS do the rest. It lacks the bells and whistles of Acrobat, but this is just to read a document remember! There is also a standalone freeware app PDFViewer (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19734) that does the job. I would also recommend PDF Browser Plugin (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16527) to view PDFs right there in your browser!

sminch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2005, 04:21 PM

sweet - might give those a whirl and see how they go. cheers!

sminch

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2005, 07:52 PM

To answer your question about getting the "Open With..." to stick, click on a pdf, Get Info on it, look down at the "Open with:" section, change it to your desired application, then press the "Change All..." button. It will prompt you to see if you really want to, so just press "Continue" and you're all set. To propogate the change to all other documents immediately you either need to refresh or restart the Finder or else it'll just be spotty at first. Probably the easiest way would be by logging out or by rebooting.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

sminch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2005, 08:10 PM

there's a "change all" button? okay, i must have been suffering from a major blind spot yesterday evening... i'll check it out as soon as i get home from work. thanks for that.

sminch

Forum Links
Forum Rules