Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1gb ram good?

1gb ram good?
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 11:26 AM

tcphoto
Aug 13, 2005, 12:30 PM

Not at all, I paid $130. including shipping last month for the same chip and was thrilled.

cryer
Aug 13, 2005, 01:07 PM

i've ordered from fry's before and got 1 gb of ram for ~$100 after rebate so this sounds legit to me

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 03:02 PM

so people have bought this chip and it has worked really well. is it made by kingston like kingston kingston? Just the pic doesnt look like most kingston ram.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 04:12 PM

its not branded as kingston, i believe its OEM-ed. I got a stick of it, its been working great for 2 weeks, and my machine is running smooth as butta'

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 04:17 PM

This Kingston RAM is not Kingston's Mac-compatible RAM, it is their ValueRAM PC Generic (KVR-) series that is not guaranteed for Macintosh.

Kingston Apple RAM (the KTA- series) is good RAM; but like any PC generic, the KVR- series is a risk as to whether it will work or not.

If you are buying RAM online, especially if you are a new Mac user, my advice is to choose a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, has a lifetime warranty and offers a no-cost return for refund if it doesn't work. This would not include NewEgg, Fry's/Outpost or most PC discounters, who don't offer a Mac compatibility guarantee.

If you are in the USA I recommend Data Memory Systems who are a real Mac company.

If you are a Mac expert and want to take the risk of using PC Generic RAM to save some money (versus perhaps wasting money and time on shipping it back), that's up to you.

Keep in mind that different Powerbooks and iBooks have different requirements. So success in an AlBook 1.5 does not mean it will work in an AlBook 15" 1.0 or 1.25 or 17" 1.0 or 1.33.

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 11:55 PM

anyone have a 1.33 12'' powerbook running this. Ive put generic ram into all my macs and has been fine. i have a kingmax in there now at 512 and want to upgrade to the 1gb. I just hope that it'll be 100% compatible but that last post got me a little scared.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 02:45 AM

i bought a 1gb stick of kingmax off of newegg.com for $119 and it works great. now up to 1.5gb

more ram =
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 11:16 AM

bump

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 08:05 AM

Got the ram. Its not some samsung oem or anything its just the standard valueram. Runs like a dream. I can run around in Iron Forge in WoW without a seconds lag with my video settings turned way up from before. Ram really is the key to powerbooks.
768--->1.25gb is like a whole difft machine now. and for only $100 i couldnt ask for more esp when a friend of mine bought my old 512 for $40

BigZaphod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

I just ordered this ram for my 1.67Ghz PB. Soon I will be happily maxed out at 2GB. I can't wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules