Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to change from PREVIEW to ACROBAT READER?

how to change from PREVIEW to ACROBAT READER?
abbasmuraj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 06:48 PM

I wish to change all my pdf files so that they open in acrobat reader instead of preview in mac os x. How can I do that withiout having tio manually select and change which application to open with.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 06:56 PM

Get info on any pdf file in the Finder, go to the "Open with" section, choose Acrobat Reader, click "Change all." This will change all pdfs to open with acrobat.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2005, 08:43 PM

to change all pdf files to open with Acrobat Reader, select a pdf, do a get info (under finder menu), under the "open with" triangle select Acrobat Reader from the drop down list, click the change all button. It will take a few minutes to run, but now you should be able to double clickk the pdf's and have them open in Reader.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barry
to change all pdf files to open with Acrobat Reader, select a pdf, do a get info (under finder menu), under the "open with" triangle select Acrobat Reader from the drop down list, click the change all button. It will take a few minutes to run, but now you should be able to double clickk the pdf's and have them open in Reader.
Echo, echo, echo.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 03:19 PM

Simply get info on a PDF file and use the "open with" option and select Acrobat Reader from the pop up.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 03:25 PM

To add a little more to the explanations that have already been put up (though TheSpaz's only would work for one file and not for all of them), you might have to enter an admin password after you press the Change All... button and sometimes logging out or rebooting can help to make sure that all of the other files open in Acrobat. Otherwise it might be a bit spotty for a few minutes while the Finder sorts things out.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 04:29 PM

Why? Preview is better than Reader in almost every way. I just have it when I run into a PDF that Preview doesn't read, which hasn't happened in a year.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 04:51 PM

Well, one advantage that Acrobat has over Preview is that it allows you to enter values into fields in the PDF. For instance, I remember when I was filling out college applications a few years ago that Acrobat allowed me to enter my name, birthdate, etc. into some of those fields and then print it out after that. Preview displayed it as a static document that couldn't be edited. That may have changed since then (and quite likely it has), but that's the only thing that comes to my mind. Most of the other features that Acrobat has seem like bloat to me.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

So does Preview in Tiger.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Why? Preview is better than Reader in almost every way.

Agreed.

abbasmuraj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks a lot for all those who help assist me in this matter. Thank You

Forum Links
Forum Rules