Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is my system SO much slower than when it was new

Why is my system SO much slower than when it was new
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 05:48 PM

I ough my Powerbook 6 months ago. It seemed lightening fast. And was compared to the old PC I was using. I would click - applications, folders & files would open. Instantly.

Now there is often a momentary delay, a second or two befor the interface shows the result of my mouse click. Safari takes an age sometimes 20 bounces or more before the window appears!!!

What can I do to spped things up again? I am running a 1.5 GHz Powerbook 15" with 512 ram

Helpful advice will be GREATLY appreciated. I run repair permissions after all upgrades and Macjanitor.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

Now I get that too. Obviously I don't expect miracles - it is only a 1GHz TiBook of course, but it definitely has been getting bogged down recently.

jay3ld
Senior User
Sep 14, 2005, 06:10 PM

yea it happened to me a little. after i upgraded my ram the computer was like it was on drugs and i was zipping around. but now it acts like normal slowness.
would zapping pram help any bit? clearing caches? i wouldnt know...
maybe its something apple did to make sure we upgraded our computers now and then so we keep buying there products.
(ohh.. safari just finished loading after i typed this )

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hi!

Launching of Safari can be sped up a lot by emptying ~/Library/Icons, which contains the little icons displayed in front of the URL. I for one set the permissions to the folder in a way that there won't be any new icons saved.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 15, 2005, 12:55 PM

1ghz Rev. A PB Here... 1gb Ram. Just as fast as the day I bought it and took it home.

- Panther 10.3.9
- Safari
- TMTL

Jay: Did you do the upgraded Ram yourself? Did you test it? If not, did they give you the right Ram?

Yeah, it's a grand conspiracy to get you to upgrade your computer six months later...

Test your hard drive.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 02:32 PM

One other possible problem is that you have things running in the background. Go to /Application/Utilities/ and run Activity Monitor. Sort it by CPU%. See what comes to the top of the list. If something is eating up a disproportionate amount of your CPU% then you might want to look into quitting it if you know what it is and know you don't need it running.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 15, 2005, 02:48 PM

Delete Norton Anti-Virus... Come on, I know you need your blanky, but this is rediculous. Let it go.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2005, 05:10 PM

Done all that many times in the past, but still gradually slowing. Been forced by prudence to get myself a copy of diskwarrior, but still other than that its tricky to see things that could help.

jay3ld
Senior User
Sep 15, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Jay: Did you do the upgraded Ram yourself? Did you test it? If not, did they give you the right Ram?

Yeah, it's a grand conspiracy to get you to upgrade your computer six months later...

Test your hard drive.
yes i upgraded myself. i know how to install ram though i have put computers together. they are working because it is faster but yet it seemed to slow down.
i ran no test really. i opened many big applications (Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Virutal Pc, and others) to test the speed out... fast.
About this mac says i got 1.25 gb

Heres the 3 ram slots being used. the first one is the one that came pre installed
Code:
DIMM0/J21: Size: 256 MB Type: DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2100U-25330 DIMM1/J22: Size: 512 MB Type: DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2600U-25330 DIMM2/J23: Size: 512 MB Type: DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2600U-25330
more details on what i need to run to test the hard drive besides my monthly permissions repair and verify disk?

budster101
Baninated
Sep 15, 2005, 07:08 PM

Wait. You only have two ram slots with a powerbook.
Could be bad ram dimm. Test it.

Peace.

I didn't mean to illude that you didn't know what you were doing so don't take it that way.
( Last edited by budster101; Sep 16, 2005 at 12:05 AM. )

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 09:44 PM

do you ever leave your laptop on overnight without sleeping it (just dimming the lcd screen) ?

download onyx or macjanitor ( or any number of utilities), and run the system maintenance routines. There are daily, weekly and monthly scripts built into the mac that usually run at 3 AM. if you don't keep your machine awake, these never get run and the size of the logs grows and can bog down a computer.

if you are comfortable in terminal use the following:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

The weekly script takes a while to run.

jay3ld
Senior User
Sep 15, 2005, 11:50 PM

were you all getting laptop from??? Power Mac G4

i have never tested ram i guess so how is that done?

i am ok with terminal so i am running those... still is running...

i do leave my computer on 24/7 and im logged in 24/7 but i put it to sleep so i guess those dont run...

budster101
Baninated
Sep 15, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure
I ough my Powerbook 6 months ago. It seemed lightening fast. And was compared to the old PC I was using. I would click - applications, folders & files would open. Instantly.

Now there is often a momentary delay, a second or two befor the interface shows the result of my mouse click. Safari takes an age sometimes 20 bounces or more before the window appears!!!

What can I do to spped things up again? I am running a 1.5 GHz Powerbook 15" with 512 ram

Helpful advice will be GREATLY appreciated. I run repair permissions after all upgrades and Macjanitor.

Here maybe?

Your computer, whatever the type slowed down after you put in a 512mb dimm right? Then it is either a ram slot problem, or a ram problem. My guess. Call Applecare.

--

Just found this if you are interested. I've never used it.

http://www.memtestosx.org/
( Last edited by budster101; Sep 16, 2005 at 12:08 AM. )

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2005, 07:44 AM

Thank you for the help. Barry I think you were spot on I found MacJanitor at

http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_...acjanitor.html

And so far the results look good. Safari is loading nigh on immediately and things generally seems speedier.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 07:48 AM

If you have Autofill > Others, edit it down to a handful. Also, consider deactivating the cache. Onyx is also very good and it doesn't hurt to run Diskwarrior now and then.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 08:15 AM

Yeah, you're welcome....

Forum Links
Forum Rules