Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork '08 - New Spreadsheet App

iWork '08 - New Spreadsheet App
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 01:57 PM

I spy a new spreadsheet app coming with iWork '08.

It's to the right of the Pages icon in the Dock.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:12 PM

...and it's called Numbers.
Vandelay Industries

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 02:20 PM

w00t!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:28 PM

Can I get a hell f***ing yes?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 04:35 PM

Sure theo, Have at it.

Looks cool. I hope that it can really take on excel.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
...and it's called Numbers.
Apple info here

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 06:05 PM

I'm just installing it....

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 06:35 PM

If you have AppleWorks can you import an AW spreadsheet with Numbers?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 06:48 PM

It supports appleworks 6.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 06:51 PM

It looks pretty cool. I mean, it's a spreadsheet. But it's beautiful.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 06:51 PM

I haven’t gotten to play with it yet, but it certainly looks like an interesting app.
The notion of a blank canvas with specific tables dropped into it certainly makes sense.

The rigmarole of laying out a bunch of little bordered regions in an Excel sheet, then making named ranges, etc. etc. is a little tired. Of course, casual users don’t have to worry much about this, because of the intelligent tracking on cut-and-paste and so on.

Nonetheless I think Apple’s correctly identified that for most people, the reason one column of numbers is in B10:B40, and another in F15:G47, is about formatting rather than any logical relation...

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 7, 2007, 10:34 PM

Been testing the 30-day trial and this thing puts Excel to shame.

Excel is, what, on its 20th version? Numbers is on its first version and blows Excel away like Keynote blew PowerPoint away.

Excel is still more powerful in some sense. But its power is very niche. I can count the people I know that make intricate macros on one hand. Numbers, on the other hand, isn't frightening. It's actually going to lure people that were afraid of spreadsheets to it.

Microsoft sucks...I can't believe Apple is trouncing Microsoft at its own game...AGAIN! This is a sad day for Microsoft. I mean, Office is MS' bread and butter.

freudling
Banned
Aug 7, 2007, 11:32 PM

Horespoo!!!

You are so right. Numbers is fxxking awesome. I have not been this excited about an app for a while. And the new versions of Pages and Keynote... awesome. Man, things are really evolving. With Leopard, computing is just going to be so amazing. I am totally addicted to my Mac. Everyone, all business people, this is THE suite of apps we have all been waiting for.

Drop your crappy, universal Account Edge and other finance programs. Numbers is just remarkable. It is so nice to be able to move your spreadsheet around on a canvas and take complete control of the layout. It opens the door to making your layout and data make much more sense. You can tell they really put a lot of work into this. For a first release, just... awesome.

Oh, track changes in Pages!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 11:51 PM

I have been test driving numbers as well and I can't agree more with you. This makes the latest office look so lame and lazy. There are just so many nice and intuitive touches going on here.

The MacBU is now rethinking january 08. Maybe January 09....

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 12:14 AM

A few questions on Numbers. I don't use 99% of Excel's features but I do use a few things:

1) Is there a SubTotals feature? This is where you take say a sales CSV report you get from a distributor with 10000 items and simply select the whole dang thing, select "SubTotals" in the menu and you tell it to group everything by Column C (Product Name or ID) and subtotal everything in Column G (Royalty). It then takes the existing info and simply groups and sub-totals each group so I can see how much each product sold easily.

2) Well that's it. I only use Excel for that one thing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Drop your crappy, universal Account Edge and other finance programs. Numbers is just remarkable.
Uh…what? Numbers isn't a bookkeeping app. It doesn't do invoices, account management or payroll.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

freudling
Banned
Aug 8, 2007, 01:52 AM

Chuckit:

I should have qualified my statement. I have a business, and looked for the killer app for accounting. I tried about a dozen or more accounting programs for the Mac: Inuit's crap, Account Edge, several others from Apple's download page. I hated them all. I ended up just designing my own custom spreadsheet complete with the formulas I needed. This from the advice of an accountant in London who really summed it up. He made the point of how accounting programs suck, because they are shoe box solutions that offer the user far too many options that they will never use.

Case in point. If you walk into any finance/economics department in major companies/governments, it is almost a given that you will never see these shoe box accounting programs. They use SAS, Excel and a few others. If you are serious about accounting, you won't use Account Edge and the like.

That is my point.
( Last edited by freudling; Aug 8, 2007 at 02:01 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Aug 8, 2007, 01:53 AM

Oh and payroll, people write their own programs for that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules