Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > beeping banner from hell

beeping banner from hell
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 08:10 PM

please get this out of your ad cycle.

goes to:

http://www.restaurantsurveycenter.co...811aaa:185489:

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 11:35 PM

Hey, let's make a banner ad so annoying that people wish hot death upon the people who created it. That's sure to get some traffic.
It suckingly sucks.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 11:40 PM

Just run an ad blocker. It doesn't hurt MacNN as long as you had no intention of clicking on the ads in the first place.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 2, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Just run an ad blocker. It doesn't hurt MacNN as long as you had no intention of clicking on the ads in the first place.
And people only "intend" on buying a gallon of milk at the grocery store, but typically walk out with several bags.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2009, 05:48 PM

I saw it the first time last night and can confirm it is annoying. Still saw it just now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And people only "intend" on buying a gallon of milk at the grocery store, but typically walk out with several bags.
Not the same thing. I have never once clicked on a banner ad in my whole life, even before I got a blocker.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 03:34 AM

OMG! I just encountered it on the FRONT PAGE! time was 2:33am EST on February 3rd, 2009

we're not alone with this. google search beeping banner.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Just run an ad blocker.
Seconded.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 11:19 AM

ummm, no. some ads I actually click to check out.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2009, 11:37 AM

You could always run something like AdBlock Pro and have it set to allow everything unless you specifically block it. Then again, that requires you to use Firefox. IMO, it makes running FF worth it, even on Mac where it's not always the best browser.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 02:31 PM

AdBlock Plus FTW.

One of my friends runs a review website. She uses AdWords and sells her own advertising space, along with using some other ad providers besides Google. Some of the ads pay per view, while others are per click. And for those who argue that it's morally reprehensible to block ads, she told me that the percentage of people running AdBlock is low enough that it doesn't really make a big dent in her ad revenue.

I run ads on my own website, although I block them myself. Since I'm not trying to make a living off my site, it's not the end of the world if people block them. A site like MacNN is big enough that it has the budget to run, even if some of the user base blocks ads.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2009, 03:34 PM

shifuimam: maybe you can update my knowledge of these business models then?

All AdBlock does is change the CSS display value from "block" or "inline" to "none". As far as the ad provider is concerned, you are still getting the ad, you are just flipping a switch to hide it in your browser - there is no way for the ad provider to know you are even doing this.

Therefore, if you are the kind of person that never, never, never clicks on ads (which I don't), where is the moral dilemma?

Now, I know that AdSense works based on click throughs... Are there any ad providers that work via product placement? If so, an ad blocker definitely will not impact the owner of the site at all - they are getting paid for you to see the ad in their coveted space, whether you see it or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules