Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 120)
Thread Tools
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 31, 2009, 03:32 PM
 
For cross platform gaming I see using the Wii as the lead platform leading to some very bad PS3/360 games.

EA had said they were going to be a major Mac gaming publisher and look what happened? They haven't announced a game since Macworld 2008, AND they were just cider ports of existing games. For me their credibility has been in the toilet since. We'll see what they actually do though.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2009, 10:35 AM
 
Top five selling games world wide for 2008:

1. Mario Kart Wii - 8.94 million
2. Wii Fit - 8.31 million
3. GTA IV - 7.29 million
4. Smash Bros. Brawl - 6.32 million
5. Call of Duty: World At War - 5.89 million

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
 
Patcher was predicting that WiiFit would probably outsell GTAIV, honestly...i wasn't expecting it, considering the difference in price. But MKWii at #1 ?.... color me shocked.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
EA had said they were going to be a major Mac gaming publisher and look what happened? They haven't announced a game since Macworld 2008, AND they were just cider ports of existing games. For me their credibility has been in the toilet since. We'll see what they actually do though.
What? Every time anyone has ever announced that they'd be "bringing gaming back to the Mac," it has NEVER materialized. Did you honestly expect it to be different this time?

The best you can hope for now are Cider ports. The Mac hasn't been a gaming platform since the early 90s when they actually had a large enough market share to attract developers. Nowadays there's no reason to develop games for Mac unless you're talking about small-time developers doing non-graphically intense games. If you want companies to start developing big-budget games with high-end graphics natively for the Mac platform, dream on. It'll never happen. Look at it - game developers are even moving away from making new Windows games because there isn't enough money in it compared to consoles. Mac gamers represent a teeny-tiny fraction of the total PC gaming world, partly because OS X's market share is so low, and partly because the only Macs that can play new games well are $2000 and up.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
 
Just because I'm shocked to see so many PS3 games on the list, so little 360 ones, and to actually see any PC games there.

Amazons Top 10 Current Pre-Orders

1. Mario Power Tennis (Wii)
2. Killzone 2 (PS3)
3. Pikmin (Wii)
4. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
5. Empire: Total War (PC)
6. Warhammer: Dawn of War II (PC)
7. Halo Wars (360)
8. Street Fighter IV (PS3)
9. Pokemon Platinum (DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS)
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Patcher was predicting that WiiFit would probably outsell GTAIV, honestly...i wasn't expecting it, considering the difference in price. But MKWii at #1 ?.... color me shocked.
I'm not surprised. Japan isn't that great a market for Western games... such as GTA.

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Just because I'm shocked to see so many PS3 games on the list, so little 360 ones, and to actually see any PC games there.

Amazons Top 10 Current Pre-Orders

1. Mario Power Tennis (Wii)
2. Killzone 2 (PS3)
3. Pikmin (Wii)
4. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
5. Empire: Total War (PC)
6. Warhammer: Dawn of War II (PC)
7. Halo Wars (360)
8. Street Fighter IV (PS3)
9. Pokemon Platinum (DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS)
The GTA DLC is the only thing I could think of that was noteworthy coming out for the 360.

Both Wii titles are actually GC ones with the motion controls tagged on, though, aren't they?
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Just because I'm shocked to see so many PS3 games on the list, so little 360 ones, and to actually see any PC games there.

Amazons Top 10 Current Pre-Orders

1. Mario Power Tennis (Wii)
2. Killzone 2 (PS3)
3. Pikmin (Wii)
4. Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
5. Empire: Total War (PC)
6. Warhammer: Dawn of War II (PC)
7. Halo Wars (360)
8. Street Fighter IV (PS3)
9. Pokemon Platinum (DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS)
This list came from an email Amazon sent out, and no one knows if the multiplatform games (SFIV and RE5) are really only the PS3 version or if it's across all platforms. Amazon hasn't clarified anything.

And on top of that Killzone 2 is currently the number 2 seller for all of Amazon's video games (behind Wii fit), so how could it be behind Mario Tennis in presales?

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Both Wii titles are actually GC ones with the motion controls tagged on, though, aren't they?
I can't speak for Pikmin, but Mario Power Tennis is. Just another lazy third party dev port. Oh wait...

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I can't speak for Pikmin, but Mario Power Tennis is. Just another lazy third party dev port. Oh wait...
I've never seen one of these in person, but are the graphics updated at all, or are they like that Zelda: Ocarina GC game, just slightly less jaggy?

--

It's kinda crazy that CoD made the Top 5 on less than 2 months of sales, but I guess it helps when you're released on 4 systems come holiday time.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:43 AM
 
Yea, CoD is still a surprise.

Pikmin and Power Tennis are both GC games with motion controls and now run in 16:9. I don't believe they're updating the graphics at all.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
 
Well, I'd consider 16:9 some kind of update.
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 11:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
What? Every time anyone has ever announced that they'd be "bringing gaming back to the Mac," it has NEVER materialized. Did you honestly expect it to be different this time?

The best you can hope for now are Cider ports. The Mac hasn't been a gaming platform since the early 90s when they actually had a large enough market share to attract developers. Nowadays there's no reason to develop games for Mac unless you're talking about small-time developers doing non-graphically intense games. If you want companies to start developing big-budget games with high-end graphics natively for the Mac platform, dream on. It'll never happen. Look at it - game developers are even moving away from making new Windows games because there isn't enough money in it compared to consoles. Mac gamers represent a teeny-tiny fraction of the total PC gaming world, partly because OS X's market share is so low, and partly because the only Macs that can play new games well are $2000 and up.
I didn't actually. I laughed my ass off and thought back to the last time they said this when they had ID demo Quake 3 at Macworld.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 12:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I didn't actually. I laughed my ass off and thought back to the last time they said this when they had ID demo Quake 3 at Macworld.
Remember when Bungie went to MacWorld '99 and demoed their new third person shooter/strategy hybrid game, "Halo"? On a blue and white G3 no less!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 01:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I didn't actually. I laughed my ass off and thought back to the last time they said this when they had ID demo Quake 3 at Macworld.
Wasn't Quake 3 released day one on the Mac?

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
 
Actually yeah, CoD was a surprise in the top 5, and correct me if i'm wrong here.... but it wasnt released in Japan, right ? impressive.

I've never played Pikmin, but i am kinda interested in it. I kinda like the premise. Anyone here have anything to say about it ? It seemed like a mouse&keyboard game, which is why i avoided it on the GCN. I might pick it up if priced appropriately.

Speaking of GCN->Wii ports.....Nintendo has pretty much announced a new 'label' for porting GCN games they fell would benefit from the new controller and reach the Wii audience which hasnt played these game. From what i've heard, Pikmin, MPT, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 are all getting Wii releases. The latter two with obvious controller modifications and 16:9.

It seems to me that Nintendo is taking a step back from the limelight here and maybe giving core third party titles a window to succeed, and maybe just focusing on the ports and the casual. I guess we'll find out at GDC/E3.

Lets see if the third parties step up eh ?

I was just thinking about what would get me to pick up a PS3, here's what i came up with:
-Smaller form factor
-full PS1 & PS2 compatibility
-$300
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 01:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Remember when Bungie went to MacWorld '99 and demoed their new third person shooter/strategy hybrid game, "Halo"? On a blue and white G3 no less!
Oh yeah, a year later they got bought by Microsoft, and were totally committed to the Mac still... and never released another Mac game since. (Halo ended up being a port by Westlake)

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Wasn't Quake 3 released day one on the Mac?
The online version was on the Mac first yes. We even had the GeForce 3 first. Look at us now .

--

I didn't know CoD5 was selling that well, I thought everyone burned out on the WWII games. I've still yet to play CoD 4, so no surprise.

Anyone try out Resident Evil 5 yet? The demo is up now, but I didn't get to finish downloading it to try it out.

Hawkeye_a, if you are serious hit eBay and Craigslist, you can hit 2 of those 3 reasons. Buddy of mine has been finding 60GB ones for $300, there. He's in the market with the same requirements.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 01:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It seems to me that Nintendo is taking a step back from the limelight here and maybe giving core third party titles a window to succeed, and maybe just focusing on the ports and the casual
Maybe, but they've also exhausted all their big existing IPs I can think of.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I didn't know CoD5 was selling that well, I thought everyone burned out on the WWII games. I've still yet to play CoD 4, so no surprise.
I don't know if it's the FPS or a specialized CoD crowd, but it appears the hardcore FPSers like shelling out for a new multiplayer FPS each year...
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 02:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Speaking of GCN->Wii ports.....Nintendo has pretty much announced a new 'label' for porting GCN games they fell would benefit from the new controller and reach the Wii audience which hasnt played these game. From what i've heard, Pikmin, MPT, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 are all getting Wii releases. The latter two with obvious controller modifications and 16:9.
So when third parties do it it's laziness, but when Nintendo does it it's ok?

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
 
I saw a stack of 60GB PS3's at Circuit City for $300. I was almost set on buying one but then figured I'd go home, check the net to see what was being offered, then go back the next day if it was a good deal. The next day they were all gone...

The PS3 really should have at least PS2 compatibility though. PS1 would just be an even better bonus. But I understand that its a completely different and new hardware.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 02:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Oh yeah, a year later they got bought by Microsoft, and were totally committed to the Mac still... and never released another Mac game since. (Halo ended up being a port by Westlake)
Bungie has given up computer game development entirely since Halo. Their last PC game was Myth III in December 2001, just after Halo was released. Since then it's been 100% Halo and Xbox/Xbox 360 development for them.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Top five selling games world wide for 2008:

1. Mario Kart Wii - 8.94 million
2. Wii Fit - 8.31 million
That absolutely sad. MK had nothing new it it that the last few versions didn't already have except that plastic wheel which made things harder and less accurate.

Wii Fit is stupid and studies show that after a week 75% of owners never touched it again.

It's all about the quick sell and making Nintendo money though not quality.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 06:09 PM
 
I played MK for the first time a few weeks back.

It's the exact same game as the N64 version with waaaay crappier controls. Little kids don't know anything about quality games though, which is why Nintendo still sleeps on a bed of money with all these piss-poor titles.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
EA had said they were going to be a major Mac gaming publisher and look what happened? They haven't announced a game since Macworld 2008, AND they were just cider ports of existing games. For me their credibility has been in the toilet since. We'll see what they actually do though.
What are you talking about? They totally support the Mac platform and the iPhone platform.

IGN: The Sims 3 Delayed

Read the last paragraph. Then bask in the excitement.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 06:25 PM
 
I'm going to break form and actually defend Nintendo for once.

- Mario Kart Wii: Yes, the wheel is dumb. I certainly didn't like it. But it works well with the GCN or Classic controller, and it's just as much fun as the previous games, which is all that really matters. Biggest problem is unbalanced items.
- Wii Fit: It's not Nintendo's fault that people have no self-discipline. Unless you're saying that the software itself (I'm hesitant to call it a "game") is badly written and provides no incentive for people to keep using it. Actually, that's been my experience with the Wii itself—it doesn't have much to compel you to keep playing it.

Lots of Wiis are sitting around gathering dust. Nintendo's fault? Indirectly, yes. You've got several factors that, individually, aren't that important, but put together, they make the Wii a worse platform. The poor hardware is not necessarily the end of the world (after all, the PS2 was far less powerful than the Xbox or the GCN last generation yet it did really well). The presence of really good first-party games can make it difficult for third parties to break through and make their own successful games, but by itself it's still not that big a factor. But when you combine those things with a target audience of non-gamers who can't appreciate the difference between good and bad games, it means that the Wii has relatively few games, and the ones it does have are relatively bad compared to the alternative platforms.

EDIT: The Sims is the best-selling PC game in history. Kinda sad to this PC gamer.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 06:29 PM
 
And to this one.

Wait, what? Another PC gamer? Woohoo!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I played MK for the first time a few weeks back.

It's the exact same game as the N64 version with waaaay crappier controls. Little kids don't know anything about quality games though, which is why Nintendo still sleeps on a bed of money with all these piss-poor titles.
Not just little kids, but women and families.

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
- Wii Fit: It's not Nintendo's fault that people have no self-discipline. Unless you're saying that the software itself (I'm hesitant to call it a "game") is badly written and provides no incentive for people to keep using it. Actually, that's been my experience with the Wii itself—it doesn't have much to compel you to keep playing it.
I'm not sure what you're defending Wii Fit from. I deride it for not being a game, and it being patently obvious that most people would not be using for its core purpose for long, much like people don't stick with it on gym memberships. Oh yeah, and yet another peripheral.


Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Lots of Wiis are sitting around gathering dust. Nintendo's fault?
No, it's not, anymore than someone regretting eating Taco Bell hours later is Taco Bell's fault. It's the chance you take by buying any system.


Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
EDIT: The Sims is the best-selling PC game in history. Kinda sad to this PC gamer.
I love The Sims. I'm somewhat surprised it had mass-market appeal (apparently people are into micro-managing as I am), but yeah, it's not your traditional type game.
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
What are you talking about? They totally support the Mac platform and the iPhone platform.

IGN: The Sims 3 Delayed

Read the last paragraph. Then bask in the excitement.
Let's look at the EA catalog of some their major releases for 2008 here. How many are Mac compatible? If that is total support we are all doomed.

Burnout
Battlefield Bad Company
Army of Two
Madden 09
NBA Live 09
FIFA 09
NCAA Football 2009
Crysis
Rock Band*
Spore*
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Need For Speed Undercover
Facebreaker
NASCAR 09
Fight Night
NHL 09
Tiger Woods 09

Also if you go to their website. This is their gaming platform count.

NINTENDO DS™ (28)
IPOD (4)
MAC (5)
MOBILE (13)
PC (58)
AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD (17)
PLAYSTATION®2 (19)
PLAYSTATION®3 (25)
PLAYSTATION® PORTABLE (11)
WII™ (27)
XBOX® (4)
XBOX 360™ (30)

Again if this is total support...
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Feb 3, 2009 at 07:25 PM. )
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'm not sure what you're defending Wii Fit from.
I was just referring to analogue SPRINKLES' post:

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
Originally Posted by jokell82
Top five selling games world wide for 2008:

1. Mario Kart Wii - 8.94 million
2. Wii Fit - 8.31 million
That absolutely sad. MK had nothing new it it that the last few versions didn't already have except that plastic wheel which made things harder and less accurate.

Wii Fit is stupid and studies show that after a week 75% of owners never touched it again.

It's all about the quick sell and making Nintendo money though not quality.
He seems to be attacking Wii Fit because people don't stick with it. Oh, and because it's "stupid." I still agree that Nintendo is making money because of their image, not because they make a quality product. And they have a bad case of peripheralitis.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
 
Wii Fit is awesome. There's just not much incentive for me to use it since according to it I'm absolutely perfect

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
peripheralitis
Good one. I almost lost my drink You need to patent that one.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 07:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Let's look at the EA catalog of some their major releases for 2008 here. How many are Mac compatible? If that is total support we are all doomed.
I guess you didn't catch my extreme sarcasm. And by the way, the count was one. Spore.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 08:03 PM
 
Oops, my fault. Odd day here at work.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
 
Gentlemen, please, this thread was not meant for ill-will, sarcasm or arguing.

I'm going to have to ask you to take it outside.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 08:44 PM
 
It's not?
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
 
Again, sarcasm, excalibur, sarcasm!
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2009, 08:54 PM
 
I'm not sure if he was or wasn't being sarcastic in his reply and you thought he was or wasn't being sarcastic in his reply so you were or weren't sarcastic in your post. This is all very confusing.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2009, 06:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I've never played Pikmin, but i am kinda interested in it. I kinda like the premise. Anyone here have anything to say about it ? It seemed like a mouse&keyboard game, which is why i avoided it on the GCN. I might pick it up if priced appropriately.

Speaking of GCN->Wii ports.....Nintendo has pretty much announced a new 'label' for porting GCN games they fell would benefit from the new controller and reach the Wii audience which hasnt played these game. From what i've heard, Pikmin, MPT, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 are all getting Wii releases. The latter two with obvious controller modifications and 16:9.
Well, people still play those vintage Lucas Arts games, Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, The Day of the Tentacle… under the
 
cause it is a joy to play them with the Wiimote and heck, such games still have some appeal… so to each its own, but I have no interest about playing the same game again just cause it got a new play control enhanced to fit the Wii. If you never played those then of course are worth a look.
     
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
 

Preying for another 150 pages...

Wii Fit does lose it after a short while of 'playing', and I've found it to be pretty inaccurate (I lost, gained and lost half a stone over 3 days). The fit board isn't a one game accessory though, there are other games that use the board though like Rabbids TV, Shaun White (?) snowboard game etc. Its similar to Wii Play, where what you're really buying is a remote with a few small games to show it off. Wii Fit is a peripheral with an exercise game to show it off, not a standalone game.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Well, people still play those vintage Lucas Arts games, Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, The Day of the Tentacle… under the
 
cause it is a joy to play them with the Wiimote and heck, such games still have some appeal… so to each its own, but I have no interest about playing the same game again just cause it got a new play control enhanced to fit the Wii. If you never played those then of course are worth a look.
I loved those games, in fact those LucasArts games, starcraft and warcraft3 are the only games ive played on my Mac.

Regarding the new Indy game, it's coming out for Wii, PS2, PSP, DS.... i, and probably most of Wii owners, am not interested in a PS2 up-port for the Wii..... another lost opportunity if you ask me.

Cheers
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
 
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I loved those games, in fact those LucasArts games, starcraft and warcraft3 are the only games ive played on my Mac.

Regarding the new Indy game, it's coming out for Wii, PS2, PSP, DS.... i, and probably most of Wii owners, am not interested in a PS2 up-port for the Wii..... another lost opportunity if you ask me.

Cheers
And you know it's an "up-port" how, exactly? For all you know they could be coding it for the Wii and porting it over to the PS2. In fact, there are Wii only features (such as the unlockable Atlantis game).

So why is it a lost opportunity?

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 12:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Liar! That article says it was a guy named Adam, not a guy named Dakar.

Wait... your name probably isn't really Dakar...

Dakar is Adam!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 01:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Liar! That article says it was a guy named Adam, not a guy named Dakar.

Wait... your name probably isn't really Dakar...

Dakar is Adam!
Einhorn is Finkle!

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 01:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And you know it's an "up-port" how, exactly? For all you know they could be coding it for the Wii and porting it over to the PS2. In fact, there are Wii only features (such as the unlockable Atlantis game).

So why is it a lost opportunity?
Apparently the best way to get Hawkeye to purchase a multiplatform game is to release it only on the Wii.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 02:15 PM
 
Dayum straight !!!

Actually, i'm just going by past experiences, everytime a studio develops a game for multiple platforms, they base it on the lowest common denominator.
     
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Einhorn is Finkle!
Hey look somebody caught it. That scene still kinda freaks me out.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 02:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Dayum straight !!!

Actually, i'm just going by past experiences, everytime a studio develops a game for multiple platforms, they base it on the lowest common denominator.
If that were true the PS3 and 360 versions of games would have also sucked like you claim the Wii versions do.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 04:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Dayum straight !!!

Actually, i'm just going by past experiences, everytime a studio develops a game for multiple platforms, they base it on the lowest common denominator.
Every multiplatform game I've ever seen is developed for the most powerful console(s) first and then brought down to the others. And the Wii is definitely more powerful than the PS2, DS, or PSP.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Hey look somebody caught it. That scene still kinda freaks me out.
I just want you guys to know, this really is just a bad case of 'roids.
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
 
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,