Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > This might be part of what's standing in the way of immigration reform.

This might be part of what's standing in the way of immigration reform.
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2013, 12:21 PM

"Is It Me Or Has ESPN Been Taken Over By Wetbacks?" Viewers React To Tonight's WBC ESPN Deportes Simulcast
MLB Network has exclusive U.S. rights to broadcast the World Baseball Classic, but those rights begin and end with the English language. Lacking compelling content for a slow Sunday night, ESPN elected to use its loophole in owning Spanish-language rights to simulcast its ESPN Deportes feed of tonight's Dominican Republic-Puerto Rico game on the network's flagship station.
So here's a sampling of what people are saying online about the broadcast, which we'll remind you cannot be shown in English on ESPN (and is being shown in English just a few channels away on MLB Net).

These are somebodies constituents. I mean they don't even call it spanish, they call it Mexican. And neither team participating is Mexico.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2013, 05:12 PM

"Mexican" is Spanish with a "****" every other word. I learned that from El Norte.

Other than that, this makes me sad.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 05:17 PM

The best way to reduce and extinguish bigotry and ignorance is through exposure and information.

As ass-backwards as it is, I believe the bigotry is largely because of the American public's dissatification with Congress's repeated failure to address the illegal immigration problem in the country, which is largely attributed to our friends down south.

Is that an excuse? Absolutely not. Is it a rationalization? No. Does it make it right? Definitely Not. Just trying to explain the cultural impact of a decade of punting the issue.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2013, 05:22 PM

You think?

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You think?

OAW
Sorry?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Sorry?
My comment was directed at the thread title ... not your post specifically. As for your comment ... I'd contend that bigotry you speak of has a longer history and is much more deep rooted than relatively recent political dissatisfaction over illegal immigration.

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 05:29 PM

The 5 Weirdest Things That Can Cause You to Be More Racist | Cracked.com

And before you comment on the #1 item, please read it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
My comment was directed at the thread title ... not your post specifically. As for your comment ... I'd contend that bigotry you speak of has a longer history and is much more deep rooted than relatively recent political dissatisfaction over illegal immigration.

OAW
I mean, its human nature to group and to oppose those you see as part of "another group." It's an unconscious us vs them syndrome that can only be deconstructed through exposure which can turn to conscious ignorance. Everyone does it. You, me, everyone. It's just a question of what issues we are sensitive towards and how sensitive we are towards those issue. So yes, I agree, it has a history dating back to the beginning of human civilization - but needs a catalyst, and I believe that today, had we gotten our shit together with the border, you wouldn't see it nearly as much.

But yeah, I believe the bigotry has come about because the general public associates illegals with mexicans, putting them in the "them" group. Congress continues to fail to address the issue, causing the bigoted minority to be the loudest and most obscene (and therefore most publicized).

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I mean, its human nature to group and to oppose those you see as part of "another group." It's an unconscious us vs them syndrome that can only be deconstructed through exposure which can turn to conscious ignorance. Everyone does it. You, me, everyone. It's just a question of what issues we are sensitive towards and how sensitive we are towards those issue. So yes, I agree, it has a history dating back to the beginning of human civilization - but needs a catalyst, and I believe that today, had we gotten our shit together with the border, you wouldn't see it nearly as much.

But yeah, I believe the bigotry has come about because the general public associates illegals with mexicans, putting them in the "them" group. Congress continues to fail to address the issue, causing the bigoted minority to be the loudest and most obscene (and therefore most publicized).
I'm in general agreement with your analysis here. My only quibble would be the ummm ... "contradiction" is too strong a term .... perhaps a better word would be the "inconsistency" between two statements you made. Namely ....

"It's just a question of what issues we are sensitive towards and how sensitive we are towards those issues".

and ....

"...and I believe that today, had we gotten our shit together with the border, you wouldn't see it nearly as much."

I say that because from the genesis of US society (and even European society since the 16th century) the predominant "issue we are sensitive towards" has always been race. Certainly there was a time when inter-ethnic strife was a major issue in America between Anglo-Saxons and later immigrant groups like the Irish, Italians, Polish, etc. But even that was trumped by the overriding issue of the color line which for most of US history would put a native-born African-American or Latino-American on a lower rung of the societal pecking order than a European immigrant fresh off the boat. So my only contention here is that "getting our shit together with the border" would make little difference to those who remain "sensitive towards such issues". Because even if we had the same level of immigrants coming from south of the border LEGALLY ... we would definitely "see it just as much" from that segment of the population because the anxiety over the "browning of America" is the larger (and often unspoken) issue more so than then "legality" of the immigration itself.

OAW

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2013, 07:55 AM

If ESPN loses enough viewers over this, maybe they'll have to lower the absurd rates they're charging providers to air their broadcasts and everyone's cable bill would drop substantially.

That said, everyone is cruel to one another and when they don't have race as an excuse, they'll turn to anything including those folks on that side of the valley. White people crackin' on Mexicans, crackin' on blacks, crackin' on lighter-skinned blacks... it never ends. You make 'em all the same color and height will be used, make 'em all the same height and location will be used, put 'em all in the same location with essentially the same languages and culture -- their family names will be used. When you commingle races, race will become a factor among mankind, but it's just one factor of many. This is not a unique trait of Anglo-Euro white people or early US history and even a casual perusal of the history of "brown" cultures would show tribes enslaving one another. It's the history of humankind and a survival instinct run amok.

Otherwise, y'all reason like a bunch of Hatfields!
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2013, 11:45 AM

And to tie it up in a little bow, there are almost certainly black people in that list of tweets.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
If ESPN loses enough viewers over this, maybe they'll have to lower the absurd rates they're charging providers to air their broadcasts and everyone's cable bill would drop substantially.
Keep dreaming.

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
That said, everyone is cruel to one another and when they don't have race as an excuse, they'll turn to anything including those folks on that side of the valley. White people crackin' on Mexicans, crackin' on blacks, crackin' on lighter-skinned blacks... it never ends. You make 'em all the same color and height will be used, make 'em all the same height and location will be used, put 'em all in the same location with essentially the same languages and culture -- their family names will be used. When you commingle races, race will become a factor among mankind, but it's just one factor of many. This is not a unique trait of Anglo-Euro white people or early US history and even a casual perusal of the history of "brown" cultures would show tribes enslaving one another. It's the history of humankind and a survival instinct run amok.
Why do I feel like all this says is "everyone's an asshole"?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2013, 01:33 PM

How does this have anything to do with illegal immigration?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
How does this have anything to do with illegal immigration?
You don't think hating Mexicans might color someone's views on immigration reform?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2013, 01:42 PM

Only for Mexicans. If you're from Guatemala it's all good, bro.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Keep dreaming.
So you're saying there's a chance.

Why do I feel like all this says is "everyone's an asshole"?
Well, to be fair, just about everyone is an asshole.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2013, 02:45 PM

I completely agree with their begin upset that their us based sports station that up to now has been 100% english programming is showing content that's not in english. I disagree with the specific terms used. I also doubt the this selection of tweets accurately reflects the majority opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules