Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can an iMac G5 display TV wireless?

Can an iMac G5 display TV wireless?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2004, 04:14 AM

OK, one of my colleagues (a faculty staff member with too much cash and no idea about hardware) at my institute wants to buy some kind of Sharp media center for over $3000. Now this thing is supposed to have a 20" TFT screen, play and record DVDs and display TV over some kind of wireless connection from a small box attached to his cable wall plug in another room.

Now, I'm wondering if he couldn't get this a lot cheaper (and better of course) with a 20" iMac G5. If he orders it with BT keyboard and mouse, he'll have a very sexy DVD player with no cables and at the same time he could record to DVDs with the SuperDrive. The question is how to get the cable TV signal from the wall plug to his iMac wireless. Any ideas? I know there are FireWire tuner boxes that get TV signals to the Mac, but is there such a solution without any cables?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 06:06 AM

Have a look here :-

http://www.elgato.com/

They may have something that can help you out.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

I don't think EyeTV or EyeHome from Elgato do what you want to do.

Though wireless firewire (google it) specification is finalized, I can't find any company coming out with any product yet.

If lucky, Apple may come out something using wireless firewire technology earlier next year. Unless your rich colleague can wait....

Personally speaking, those wireless TV technologies are fancy, but not practical yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules