Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Garageband - free with new macs...really?

Garageband - free with new macs...really?
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2004, 01:17 PM

so i bought a new ibook last week. i recieve it, with ilife and all that. garageband is cool but i notice that there are some os 9 apps installed on the machine so i do a clean install with the os X install cds included with my ibook. stupid me...garageband isn't included on the os X cds, probably just the restore cds...can i get garageband off there or do i have to do an install from the restore cds???? thanks.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2004, 01:22 PM

I take iLife '04 CD's are not part of the CD package that came with your iBook? If not, you can just extract GB from the Restore CD using Pacifist I am sure...

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I take iLife '04 CD's are not part of the CD package that came with your iBook? If not, you can just extract GB from the Restore CD using Pacifist I am sure...

ah yes pacifist, i have used it before...stupid apple making me do work. sons of bitches.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 04:44 PM

It is also possible to just delete files you don't want instead of erasing a whole hd.

However you should be able to navigate in the Finder with Go -> Go to Folder to /Volumes/iBook Software/System/Installation/Packages (or similar) and then just install the packages you want by doubleclicking them. No need for third-party software.

-

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 05:14 PM

I doubt you'll need pacifist for this.

Apps such as this are usually kept hidden behind the 'Applications and OS9 Installler' Icon. Which fires up software restore that has a bunch of clicky things that you can pick.

Or if you don't care for it, open a finder window to the root of the restore dvd, and then Go-> Go to Folder, and type in .images (iirc) there will be like a dozen or more dmg's for all the 3rd party and extra apps that you can install onto your system.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Forum Links
Forum Rules