Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > System architecture for MBP usage

System architecture for MBP usage
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2012, 12:50 PM

So, you get yourself a laptop, but don't want to fork out for a large Apple screen. What connectivity should one look for in a non-Apple screen? HDMI?

You have some external disks (Western Digital, USB) that you used as backup media. Should you get a Time Machine? Airport?

The wife likes a mouse, thats no prob. But she also likes a full sized keyboard - are there any decent Mac laptop compatible full-sized wireless keyboards out there (back lit would be appreciated)?

Be nice to keep the numbers of wires that connect to the MBP down to a minimum, the screen is the only thing that (AFAIK) you HAVE to have connected by physical media. Am I missing something?

There's some nice refurbs (15 inchers) atm and the iMac has hit 5 years old.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2012, 01:10 PM

A Time Machine has its own disk so if you want to use yours then the cheaper Airport Extreme would be adequate.
Wireless + backlit = crappy battery life.
Display wise, HDMI will restric the resolution to 1920 x 1200. Displayport can support more than this but its up to you whether you care about that of course.

The Apple display would mean you could connect wired keyboard & mouse and drives and display with one cable but thats a lot of extra cash to save on a few cables and batteries.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2012, 01:14 PM

Concur with War.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 07:26 AM

Nitpick: "Time Machine" is the backup architecture that works with any external hard drive.

"Time Capsule" is the Apple router with built-in hard drive that supports Time Machine over the network.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2012, 06:01 AM

Its one of those names that has permeated the public at large. Not as widespread as 'iTouch' or 'Mac Air' but still.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules