Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Punk Buster and RTCW

Punk Buster and RTCW
Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 07:44 PM

Okay, what's going on with the Punk Buster Client for RTCW. I've tried to get on a few of my favourite RTCW servers this week and punkbuster is kicking me with a message about Can't Init Punk Buster or this server requires Punk Buster version A1320.

When I watch the log in RTCW I see messages like "PB Client in Distress - Cannot Authenticate with PB Server (A1320)" and "Attempting Web Update" and " Web Update Cannot Continue: WWW.EVENBALANCE.COM has not yet resolved".

I want to play RTCW and not have a hassle with Punk Buster. Isn't this thing supposed to auto-update?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 07:51 PM

Okay, I may have found a solution. I went to www.evenbalance.com and there were a couple of file downloads there for the Mac. I downloaded the PB clientA v1320 for the Mac and put it where the instructions said tto put it. I'll give that a try.
MacBook Pro

macenthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 08:22 PM

download this thing called "pbweb log". just do a search for it on google and you'll find it. Once you download it, put it in your PB folder and start it up. It will automatically update all yoru files, and then your ready to go.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 08:34 PM

Yeah, downloading that one file didn't work. I found that PBWeb application on the same web site. I downloaded it and put it in the PB folder in the Wolfenstein folder and then ran it (It took a few minutes to run) and that fixed the problem.

Thanks macenthusiast.
MacBook Pro

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Yeah, downloading that one file didn't work. I found that PBWeb application on the same web site. I downloaded it and put it in the PB folder in the Wolfenstein folder and then ran it (It took a few minutes to run) and that fixed the problem.

Thanks macenthusiast.
Worked for me too. Cool!

villa

Ldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 02:37 PM

FYI--You may need to do this manually from time to time if the problem comes back. PunkBuster used to update automatically for me, but recently, I've had to run this app in order to stay up to date.
G5 1.8 single processor, Jaguar
2 big dogs

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I've had to run it a second time already.

The little app works great though.
MacBook Pro

k2director
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 08:26 PM

Somebody at ID or Activision or Aspyr should develop a better code/punk buster update system for the game. I've never encountered a game that takes so much end-user maintenance just to play consistently over a few months. It really is pretty appaling, when you think about it, for such a mainstream title.

Forum Links
Forum Rules