Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I set all of my Calendar birthdays to remind me the "day off" and not "day ...

How do I set all of my Calendar birthdays to remind me the "day off" and not "day ...
Ham Sandwich
Nov 13, 2014, 10:02 AM

How do I set all of my Calendar birthdays to remind me the "day off" and not "day before" - and not have to set them all by hand?

When I was using 10.9, I set all of my birthdays in my Calendars by hand to remind me the day off, rather than the day before.

When I upgraded to 10.10, all of my birthday reminders went back to the day before.

1. Why did that happen?
2. Is there a way to correct this for future reference, without having to fix them all by hand?

hab
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2014, 01:11 PM

Go to Calendar Preferences > Alerts and set the Birthday alert drop down to your desired setting.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2014, 05:28 PM

You mean "day OF," right? As hab says, it's one of the options in the Alerts settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Nov 16, 2014, 02:58 PM

*facepalm*

So Apple has that preference stored locally, instead of on the cloud?

No wonder things got screwed up.

I realize why... when I did a full erase-and-reinstall, my Calendars preference file was also erased, but I don't understand why the "day of" reminders are stored in .plist rather than in the cloud.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 16, 2014, 10:37 PM

Because maybe you'd want immediate notifications on one platform, early notifications on another, and REALLY early notifications on yet another. Phone, iPad, desktop, in my example, would all have different potential notification needs (they do for me). So rather than put a bunch of different preferences in the cloud, they're stored locally, where they apply to JUST the platform they're on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Nov 17, 2014, 09:13 AM

Separate question: Where is the preference file to get Calendars to open to TODAY, rather than to the last day that I was browsing? I still can't find that preference option either.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...e/#post4294052

Forum Links
Forum Rules