Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > In need of 12" Powerbook Advice

In need of 12" Powerbook Advice
JVB_2112
Mar 1, 2003, 09:24 PM

I need some advice. Several months ago I bought a 12" iBook with combo drive. I bought the iBook to fill a need I had for a portable mac. The iBook seemed like a good choice since I already had a MDD 867 and a FP iMac 800, and thought the iBook would be plenty fast enough.

After several months of use the iBook has pretty much become my main machine, mostly due to its portability. However, I find myself wishing it was faster or had altivec.

I recently contacted my local Apple dealer to see how much I'd have to fork over to trade up to the new PowerBook 12". Basically I will only have to pay the difference between the two minus a small amount.

Have any 800 MHz iBook owners upgraded to the 12" PowerBook? Did you notice a large difference in speed? Battery life? Is there any reason why I shouldn't trade up? Can any 12" PowerBook owners post their xbench scores.

Thanks,

JVB

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2003, 10:44 PM

check out the xbench site for 12" scores.

If your Apple dealer is letting you trade up and pay the difference, they're being very generous to you.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
check out the xbench site for 12" scores.

If your Apple dealer is letting you trade up and pay the difference, they're being very generous to you.
Agreed!

Go for the 12" PowerBook!

Sarah31
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2003, 02:56 AM

though i agree it is a good deal to upgrade any speed the extra 67MHz adds will not even be noticed as that is likely milliseconds in time.the real benefit, imho, come from having a G4 processor as opposed to a G3

jeffcoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 09:00 AM

I dislike relying on Xbench and other benchmarking tools, because it's not clear how well they correlate with real-world performance. But MacSpeedZone posted some real-world benchmarks, using common tasks on common programs, this past week. The bottom line isn't a real surprise: there's not much difference between the iBook 800 and the 12" Powerbook, except in Altivec-enhanced programs.

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by jeffcoop:
I The bottom line isn't a real surprise: there's not much difference between the iBook 800 and the 12" Powerbook, except in Altivec-enhanced programs.
Perhaps you were refering only to performance, but I think there is significant difference:

1. design
2. external monitor support
3. G4 (altivec stuff)
4. airport extreme
5. superdrive

Discounting some of those items, I would modify you statement to say that the 12" is an ibook with superdrive and a g4

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by hamiltondj:
2. external monitor support
Just a note: this can be enabled on newer iBooks via a fairly simple hack, so it currently really comes to:

1. size/weight/design
2. Altivec
3. Bluetooth
4. Airport Extreme
(5. SuperDrive OPTION)

-s*

JVB_2112  (op)
Mar 2, 2003, 07:35 PM

Right now I think I'm leaning towards trading the iBook in for the Al Powerbook.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 09:36 PM

I have used both the iBook and currently own at 12" PB and I highly recommend the PB. I think the keyboard alone would warrant the upgrade. I'd be suprised if you found another place that would allow you to trade in your old iBook for the difference and a small fee.

I think the G4 processor and faster memory bus helps with performance a bit and you do feel an extra boost, but nothing dramatic. The AE card works flawlessly on mac and pc networks and the superdrive is very nice. The speakers are very decent especially for a laptop.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

JVB_2112  (op)
Mar 2, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
I think the keyboard alone would warrant the upgrade.
Thanks for the post. I think I have pretty much decided to get the PowerBook. I'm going to go to the store to look at it tomorrow, they just got some in last week.

As for the keyboard, how is it better than that of the iBook? Do you use Photoshop or iPhoto on the PB? I found that iPhoto on the iBook 800 was slow. I think the G4 with Altivec should help a lot since most of the programs I would be using are enhanced for Altivec.

JVB

ymmit
Mar 3, 2003, 03:44 AM

the iApps are Altivec-sensitive, so you will feel mark performance increase on the 12in PB.

As for the keyboard, the new 12" PB's kb is screwed down so you can't remove it. Previously, you'd need to remove the kb to access the ram slot etc. Now, ram slot is accessed through bottom of pb, and AE card via battery compartment.

What the screwed down kb offers is a real solid typing platform, the kb doesn't flex up and down as you'd experience some of the time with the iBook.

Go try out the 12" PB at the store; you'll see what I mean by SOLID keyboard

Kleekoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 06:56 PM

Does anyone know of any Canadian Apple Resellers (in British Columbia) that buy back hardware at a decent price. I bought an eMac about 2 months ago but am looking to sell it to buy a PowerBook.

roders
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 07:21 PM

The AluBook has a faster system bus (133Mhz vs 100) 266Mhz DDR ram available for DMA opertaions (HD, graphics, etc) but not the processor, 4X agp Vs 2X agp, ATA100 Vs ATA 66, (average/sustained read/write times will be similar, but burst rates will be higher) and a more competent OpenGL accelerator, as well as the other stuff noted in this thread.
P.S + Bluetooth and Audio in:
The ONLY thing I can think of that iBook currently has over the AluBook is 512k Level cache Vs 256K.
I.E For the deal your being offered, go get that AluBook!!!

JVB_2112  (op)
Mar 3, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by ymmit:

Go try out the 12" PB at the store; you'll see what I mean by SOLID keyboard
Went to the local Apple dealer today to test out the 12" PB. The keyboard is really nice, the nicest keyboard I have ever used on an Apple portable.

Well I've decided to go with the 12" PB after the brief time I spent with it today. Now I need to decided how much RAM to add. If I max out the RAM to 640 MBs will I notice a huge difference over just going to 384 MBs?

Thanks to everyone that provided advice in helping me make the decision.

JVB

roders
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 10:38 PM

If you can afford it, max the Ram, OSX and your AluBook will love you for it!

Mack
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2003, 12:05 AM

I maxed the RAM in mine and it runs great. Faster than my 667 (non-DVI) TiPB.

ymmit
Mar 4, 2003, 02:17 AM

spending more now to max out your ram will save you money should 256mb turn out not to be enough later on.

I too am waiting to purchase my 12" PB, and when I do I will max out the ram.

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 10:28 AM

I maxed the ram, too. I say do so, if you can afford it. From what others have said, it really does make a difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules