Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just Wonderful

Just Wonderful
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 05:55 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/04/12...all/index.html

Lets start sending out killer flus all over the place. Not like we had enough worries with bird flu.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 07:15 AM

they sent it out with the intent to research

chill out

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

If researchers don't have a sample of a virus, how can they develop a vaccine? The fact that there hasn't been a recurrence of this virus in the wild indicates that it is not a natural threat any longer, so a vaccine against it probably isn't needed and destroying the samples won't hurt anything.

On the other hand, researchers have used infected samples of lung tissue from people who died in the 1917 pandemic to identify close similarities between that flu virus and the current avian virus. This is very important, because it has helped provide clues to how the current virus can be fought.

As APU said, chill. The worst thing about it is that the vendor in Cincinatti didn't know what they had-I hope they're destroying all of their samples too!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lazytime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
they sent it out with the intent to research

chill out

Issue is not knowing what they are sending out. For example this flu version should be in a level 3 containment. There is no problem with this kind of reserch but if deadly viruses like this are sent out by mistake there is something wrong.

It was a mistake in Vancouver General Hospital that resulted in this being cought in Winnipeg orginally, otherwise it prob would have been left unknown and who knows what could have happened.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2005, 06:43 AM

Yeah, you definitely have to wonder how in the world this sample got inadvertently (at least officials would have us believe it was inadvertent) distributed, when it should have been in special containment. Hopefully the individuals responsible will be held accountable for this gross oversight.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 12:37 PM

"Inadvertently" my ass! There's not such thing in the medical research field... there are always security levels that this "Inadvertently" passed through.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 14, 2005, 12:54 PM

Yes sir! I'll eject the waste pod immediately! <wink, nod>

// Slips on coffee spill on floor, sending the med tech into a control panel
// buttons are pushed, levers and switches mashed...

Now, what the heck did I just press by 'accident'... <wink,nod>

population control measures... activated. OOPS!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 12:58 PM

I don't believe it was an "accident." Have you ever read Hot Zone? Those vials are under some of the most secure security precautions in the world. You don't just "accidentally mail out" killer viruses.

Gimme a break.

Did you see the other news? The one where Drudge is alluding to the fact that HIV could be spread through the bird flu?

Let's all post like mad before we die, shall we?

(Hi Athens.)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I don't believe it was an "accident." Have you ever read Hot Zone? Those vials are under some of the most secure security precautions in the world. You don't just "accidentally mail out" killer viruses.

Gimme a break.

Did you see the other news? The one where Drudge is alluding to the fact that HIV could be spread through the bird flu?

Let's all post like mad before we die, shall we?

(Hi Athens.)

If it was some massive cover up... do you think we would hear anything about it?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 01:22 PM

I was talking about this with my girlfriend last night. She works for a major University/Hospital in the Infectious Diseases Department. Their lab received the flu. The media/press should have waited until all the samples are confirmed to be destroyed before reporting to the public about the incident. A lot of the labs that received the flu sample do not have very tight security. Did anybody stop to think that these labs are now a target for terrorists?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 01:36 PM

Good point, waxcrash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules