Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CCPMUG Needs YOUR Help

CCPMUG Needs YOUR Help
mTorbin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 02:37 PM

The Center City Philadelphia Macintosh Users Group is currently in need of help in maintaining their existing infrastructure. Specifically, the following areas are in need:
  • Raffle / Promotion Organization: We are currently seeking individuals to help us maintain and respond to the large amounts of email inquiries that we receive from various companies as well as contacting new companies to request help with upcoming presentations. Promotional materials are a large part of our monthly meetings and having a strong support will help us greatly.
  • Bloggers: We have an open blog available for anyone who wishes to write. Our web site, on average, receives approximately 16k to 18k hits per month (which is very good for a regional non-profit computer group). If you would like to write on any subject (so long as it's not illegal or adult in nature and has something to do with computers and/or Macintoshes) please contact me immediately.
  • Newsletter Editor(s): Our newsletter really needs to be taken to the next step and we are looking for that person who has the drive and the creativity to do it. The more available we make our content, the stronger we are as a group.
  • Web Site Content Administrator(s): Maintaining links and event dates on our web site can become quite a task for just one person so we are branching out and asking for help. As mentioned above, our web site see approximately 16k to 18k of hits per month and we would definitely like to increase that. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to get their feet wet with web development.
  • Video Tutors: This is a brand new idea that we are hoping will take off. If you would like to help create simple "novice/intermediate" level video tutorials on Macintosh-related subjects, please contact me. We have the studio and the equipment available to shoot a low-budget video and I believe this will help the members greatly.
  • Podcaster(s): We would definitely like to get a podcast started for the group, but we are unsure of the focus yet (maybe a post-meeting wrap-up?). If you would like to help get a brand new podcast started or have some great ideas to share, then we'd love to hear from you!
  • Product Reviewers: We have the potential of receiving a large amount of review products but unfortunately, we don't have anyone to review them. We need people who are diligent and time-sensitive who want to review products (that they will receive FOR FREE in most cases). If this sounds like you, please contact me.
  • Group Promotions: Obviously a large part of a non-profit group is getting our name out to the public. We are looking for ambitious people who can help us promote the name and the goal of the group using any means necessary (within the legal limitations of course). If you would like to help create advertisements, promotions and promotional materials please contact us immeadiately!
While this is a NON-PAYING gig for a NON-PROFIT group (as in nobody who works with/for the group gets paid including myself), we are offering anyone who helps us on a regular basis free access to our meetings as well as our monthly raffles (excluding yearly member raffle items). Come be part of something truly great in the Center City area. There is a LOT of potential for this group, but we need the right people to help us make that happen!
-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-
Matt Torbin
Mobile Mac Tech
www.mobilemactech.com

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 04:53 PM

yeah alright see you there. ppppphht!

[/adam sandler happy gilmore]

mTorbin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
yeah alright see you there. ppppphht!
Dude, don't knock it. We work pretty hard on our own dime to offer people a chance to learn something where they otherwise might not be able to. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest Macintosh.

- MT
-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-
Matt Torbin
Mobile Mac Tech
www.mobilemactech.com

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 07:38 PM

or Mac at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 08:13 PM

It would be a "good thing" for ANYONE to contact the staff before posting something like this. Coordinate, discuss, get permission... You get the idea. I'm "this close" to deleting this thread as spam, but I won't because others might get something out of it.

In the future, before posting any announcements of any sort, contact the staff (that's the mods and admins) and discuss what you want to post.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mTorbin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It would be a "good thing" for ANYONE to contact the staff before posting something like this. Coordinate, discuss, get permission... You get the idea. I'm "this close" to deleting this thread as spam, but I won't because others might get something out of it.

In the future, before posting any announcements of any sort, contact the staff (that's the mods and admins) and discuss what you want to post.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I certainly didn't think this would be received as "spam" if it was about a Macintosh Users Group posted in the "anything goes" section. However, I've made a mental note of it for the future.

- MT
-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-=•=-
Matt Torbin
Mobile Mac Tech
www.mobilemactech.com

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 10:13 PM

We've had enough people post all sorts of unwelcome stuff in this "not-so-anything-goes" forum that we're a bit touchy about unannounced "announcements." Not to be all prickly about it, but it really is important that we (the staff) know about this sort of thing in advance and have a chance to help with where it goes and how it's worded. Your announcement has only one thing wrong with it-nobody here on staff knew about it in advance.

Also, we've had people post "help wanted" and "testers wanted" announcements that turned out to be something else, so we basically want to be in the loop. If we vouch for such things, our users know that we've been watching out for them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:06 PM

Wow, I was pretty convinced that MUGs were extinct...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2007, 08:33 AM

There are nowhere near as many user groups of any kind as there used to be. The Internet (and sites like this one) have taken their place to some extent. I'm a member of what was once the largest computer user group in the country, and what we've devolved to now is basically a group for teaching retirees how to surf and play with their digital pictures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules