Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Export to iDVD sound skipping

Export to iDVD sound skipping
FatBastard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2002, 05:05 PM

I've composed a movie in iMovie 2.1.1 on my G4/933 256M ram. Every time I export it into iDVD the soundtrack skips even on the burned DVD.

The music is straight of the original CDs and imported and cut in iMovie. There are still photos (pict files) and DV files (rendered from AfterEffects 5.5 into Quicktime 6.0 and exported from Quicktime into DV then imported into iMovie) that all run fine in iMovie with no skips. It seems like in the export is where the skipping is being generated.

I've taken the entire iMovie project to another machine with the exact same configuration (with the exception of Quicktime 5) and it is able to export the project to iDVD and burn without any problems.

Please help,

FB

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 06:33 PM

What format was the audio in when you imported into imovie? exactly how did you move it from the cd? Did you use itunes?

My quess is there is something wrong with the audio file before it is imported into imove. Did you convert the file to an "aif" file or just do a finder copy of the cd data. You could try and convert the aif file to an mpg file before importing into imovie.
( Last edited by climber; Oct 14, 2002 at 06:38 PM. )
climber

FatBastard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2002, 07:20 PM

Through iMovie, I inserted the original cd and went to the audio tab and click and dragged the track from the cd list to the project. From there I believe, iMovie converts it to an aif file. Still, I get the skips.

I also re-cut the entire project track using MP3 file format and got the same results.

The part that kills me is, I take the entire iMovie project to my external firewire drive and move it to another machine with the exact same configuration (with the exception of Quicktime 5) and it is able to export the project to iDVD and burn without any skips.

Is Quicktime 6 having bug issues?

I've exported the project to iDVD format many times over and I get the skipping in different areas every time. It is not consistantly in any certain spot. I went as far as getting a power conditioner to make sure there aren't any fluxuations in current and got the same result.

Please help, my hair is turning silver by the minute.

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 07:55 PM

Try using itunes to convert the cd file into a aif file before importing into imovie. If that does not work, try deleting the preferences for quicktime and imovie.

It may be you have a problem with either quicktime or imovie on this mac. If this is the case a reinstall of both applications may be needed. Are you using OS9 or X?

I doubt that there is a bug with quicktime 6, I use it myself with none of these issues.
climber

FatBastard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2002, 08:05 PM

I'm in OSX 1.x and am not to sure how to delete the preferences and/or reinstall in OSX. I'm very comfortable in 9.2 but OSX is new to me.

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 10:19 PM

In your user folder/library/preferrences is a file with the extension .plist (FYI there is also a preference folder in the main library folder, this is where system wide preferences are stored)

The imovie preference file is named: com.apple.imovie.plist

Did you try using itunes to make the aif file yet? Also do you have any trouble with any other types of audio files you might have?

The method you describe for importing the audio file is new to me, I don't know if it is even supposed to work this wayt (It is possible there might be some copy protection by apple preventing a direct import from the cd) . The way I have always done it is to use itunes to create the aif file on the desktop, then import that into imovie.
( Last edited by climber; Oct 14, 2002 at 10:26 PM. )
climber

FatBastard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2002, 04:14 PM

Well Climber you did it!

I cannnot thank you enough.

I went as far as using Norton System Works to diagnose and fix the disk directories and de-frag the entire HD. I then deleted the pref. files for iMovie, Quicktime and iDVD. Please make sure you have your Quicktime Registration information and any other Key(s) you may have before deleting the prefs. You will need to reconfigure the programs back to the way you had them.

First try on exporting the project to iDVD ran fine and my project is now burned to a DVD and being enjoyed at the client's.

Thanks again Climber,

FB

P.S. Apple support asked if I have had sucess with a previous project (yes) and then proceeded to inform me that, "all Apple products seem to be fine and it has to be an external source such as the audio cd." I got no where with them on attempting to find a solution. Thank you MacNN for providing a great resource and information exchange. I hope to be able to assist someone else with their troubles in the future.

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 05:42 PM

Glad to hear you got it working

PS. your user name is driving me nuts though, the visualization of that charactor still gives me chills.....
climber

Forum Links
Forum Rules