Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Preview launches very slowly, please help

Preview launches very slowly, please help
idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2012, 09:53 PM

I am running 10.7.3 and Preview launches very slowly. Under Snow Leopard Preview opened very quickly, but now it takes a long time to open. Someone said I should open it with the Console open. This is the only thing that shows up after I "clear" the Console:

4/11/12 9:52:07.770 PM sandboxd: ([5599]) Preview(5599) deny iokit-open AppleGraphicsPolicyClient

Does this mean anything? I put it into Google and nothing came up. Please help.

ibook_steve
Apr 12, 2012, 01:11 PM

Can you define how slowly it launches? How many seconds or dock bounces? Slowness is in the eye of the beholder. Is the behavior the same whether you've just rebooted the machine or been using it a while?

If you were looking at files on external drives or network volumes that are no longer connected, maybe it's looking for those for the Recents menu. In Preview, go to File -> Open Recent -> Clear menu.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2012, 01:27 PM

It can take up to a minute to open a simple PDF or PNG that would almost immediately open in Snow Leopard. Files are on local hard drive, no externals or USBs.

P
Apr 12, 2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by idontlikelionosx View Post
I am running 10.7.3 and Preview launches very slowly. Under Snow Leopard Preview opened very quickly, but now it takes a long time to open. Someone said I should open it with the Console open. This is the only thing that shows up after I "clear" the Console:

4/11/12 9:52:07.770 PM sandboxd: ([5599]) Preview(5599) deny iokit-open AppleGraphicsPolicyClient

Does this mean anything? I put it into Google and nothing came up. Please help.
I think that your Preview.app is damaged and needs to be reinstalled from somewhere.

(In more detail: what I think has happened is that the Preview.app file is slightly corrupted and now fails the checksum test, and for that reason it has to fall back to some sort of failsafe mode when opening the file).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2012, 05:09 PM

I did a reinstall of Lion a few weeks ago to try to fix this but it didnt help. Where do I get another copy of Preview.app?

Forum Links
Forum Rules