Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Repainting a G4 Titanium PB?

Repainting a G4 Titanium PB?
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 05:59 PM

I just received a G4 Titanium PB DVI, and the case is pretty beat up. It's got quite a few scratches. So today I decided that I'd see about repainting it to give it a personal touch and cover the scratches. So I have a few questions.

~Before I repaint, will I have to strip off the original silver paint, and if so, what's the easiest and safest product to use?
~What type of paint would I use?
~Where can I find the proper supplies?

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2007, 02:25 PM

Bump. I really need advice on this. There's a type of acrylic paints that I used to use for miniatures and model kits that I could grab a few bottles of tonight at the comic shop near where I work, but I need to know if those would work, and I also need to know if I need to pick up any other supplies.

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 10:39 AM

I think you're on your own here. People have asked before in this forum. Most people don't think its worth the painting it yourself option because it WILL CHIP in time and end up looking worse than the original scratches.

There is an *expensive option* where a company will paint your case for you (about US$200-300). Definitely not what you're looking for.

Show us some photos if you decide to do it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 9, 2007, 12:55 PM

Well, don't use acrylic, that's for sure. Acrylic= plastic, and it'll probably peel off in some of the areas that get beat up. What you'd want to do, ideally, is chemically strip all the old paint, go to your hardware store for the strippers, and for paint... it has to be DURABLE. That's the #1 thing. I know other paints provide better finishes, but in terms of durability, I'd go with an enamel, followed by baking it in hte oven at relatively low temperatures. That'd probably give you the toughest finish. On top of that, once you've baked it and let it dry for a few days, throw on a clear enamel, and bake that also. You'd need to test paint some metal to find the optimum temperature for baking.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 04:24 PM

I painted my TiBook with automotive paint. I totally disassembled the system (not an easy task), scuffed it off with some 600 grit sandpaper, laid down an epoxy primer, and then painted it and reassembled.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

Forum Links
Forum Rules