Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot log in on start up, Help!

Cannot log in on start up, Help!
klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 06:37 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm running a G4 iBook with 10.4.8 .I have a problem, today i booted safari and it froze up on me, so i force quit the program only for it to do the same thing again. After another shot at the force quit it completely froze and woulden't allow me to do anything, as a last resort i held the power button with my fingers crossed and BAM it restarted, thank god. After the gray screen with the apple logo, i got to an clean auqa interface with a login screen, asking for my name and password with options to "restart", "shutdown", "sleep", and "login". Well after trying every password/user name i've ever used since i had a mac and some i hadven't, i CANNOT log in. Either i forgot my information or something. If anyone can help me get back to the wonderful world of mac please do. Anything to keep me off this dell i'm writing you from...
( Last edited by klb5090; Mar 18, 2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: wrong os 10.4.9 should be 10.4.8)

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 06:45 PM

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 08:46 PM

Some of us would like to know where you got 10.4.9. Is it snappy?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 11:03 AM

yea woops i cannot type

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 12:41 AM

hey everyone,
so i got the 10.4 install cd and when i hold down "c" and boot from it i get a kernel panic with some crazy message, it won't boot and only lets me hold the power button to restart! i just want my mac back , this baby needs to run for a month or two more before i get my macbook pro,

Message on startup while holding c -

"No debugger configured - dumping debug information
MSR=000001030
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x000(numbers and letters)
Proceeding back via exception chain:
exception state (sv+(numbers and letters))

Kernel version:
Darwin kernel version 8.4.1: ........(date and time) root:xnu - 792.90obj~1/Resease_PPC
panic: we are hanging here...
( Last edited by klb5090; Mar 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added kernel message)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 01:12 AM

(Misunderstood problem, see below)
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 18, 2007 at 01:22 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 01:14 AM

your right, actually my ibook shipped with 10.3 i think but i bought and installed 10.4 later. Unfortuantly i let a friend borrow the 10.4 cd back when he re formatted his powerbook and never got it back, so i don't have the original disc
( Last edited by klb5090; Mar 18, 2007 at 01:36 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 01:22 AM

Oh, wait you're still on your iBook, my bad. Well, I don't know why the disc isn't working. It appears that something is wrong with the disc.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 01:34 AM

Hey,
Sorry about all the questions but thanks in advance for help again.
after tearing my apartment apart i found my original install disc its for 10.3 (i'm currently running 10.4.8) But it did boot into the install menu, so i clicked the install menu and went to "reset password" like the link above told me to and under my harddrive there are "No available users" to select so i that i can reset my password!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 02:01 AM

It sounds like there was massive damage to your directories. I don't even know if Disk Warrior would work. It may be time to think about home folder recovery followed by fresh reinstallation, unless you have a backup of your drive. Sorry man, that's an awful thing to happen because of a simple incremental update.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 02:06 AM

well if thats the case i really don't have a problem with a fresh install except for my THOUSANDS of songs on itunes. some purchased some off cds , is there any way to get my itunes folder off there and then do a fresh install?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 02:29 PM

You have bad HD. The exact same thing happened to my best friend's iBook.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 03:51 PM

so if thats true, can i save my itunes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules