Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 17)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2009, 05:09 AM

I miss Ninja and Cold Blooded SOOOOOOO much, that I may never Prestige again.

Cheers for the link Dakar. From that info I can't see anything that would help me confirm that its harder to kill people in std TDM for MW2 than CoD4.

Kill streaks : Predator, Air Drop, Chopper Gunner. Not getting too many 11 in a rows atm though.

Fav maps : Terminal and Afghan. Enjoyed a pretty good round last night where we played for a while outside in Terminal. New experience there.
Hated maps : Rust, Rust and Rust

On std TDM one can really do well with silencers.

Peter Harrison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2009, 08:23 AM

I'm alternating between [Harrer - Pave Low - AC130] and [Pave Low - AC130 - Tactical Nuke].

Use a mixture of guns, but mostly the second-last shotgun you get access to and also the M16 I think (it has a burst fire). I use silencers, scopes and occasionally the grenade launcher depending on map.

I actually like Rust. Great for Free For All. Map I'm not enjoying at the moment is Wasteland.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Harrison View Post
Map I'm not enjoying at the moment is Wasteland.
I don't particular care for Wasteland and for Karachi. With Wasteland, it's hard to know how the map is going to go - it could play the sniper way, the king of the hill in the center way, or try to get around the bush way.

Usually, I play Wasteland with silenced weapons, a M4A1, FAMAS, or M16, this way I'm set up for medium range snipin' or playing king of the hill in the underground middle bunker. I prefer to stay out of the bunker though, and instead creep around the outside (keeping low) and see how many people I can surprise.
( Last edited by Leonard; Dec 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 11:06 AM

I've read a ton of Karachi hate on the infinityward forums. I don't understand it. What's so bad about the map? It's really not all that different from Invasion.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 11:06 AM

BTW, Javelin Glitch path is supposedly live this morning. Just in time for the weekend.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 11:12 AM

Strange. Lately I haven't unlocked any new killstreaks. I should count how many I have unlocked, because it can't be more than 5-6.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I miss Ninja and Cold Blooded SOOOOOOO much, that I may never Prestige again.
Yeah, I imagine they're twice as vital in HC.

On std TDM one can really do well with silencers.
Silenced RPDs are sneaky dangerous.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I've read a ton of Karachi hate on the infinityward forums. I don't understand it. What's so bad about the map? It's really not all that different from Invasion.
I was going try to describe why I don't like it, but, I couldn't think of what it is. It's kinda small, got alot of dead ends, kinda too open in spaces. It seems to have some ambush points (or choke points?).

Invasion, I love. A nice square city. Some nice camping/sniper spots. A known spawn and hunt path - you know where the teams are going to spawn and attack from.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

Speaking of known spawns, I realized that outside of the start of the game on Sub Base, no one ever spawns on the far side of the map, for any reason. No wonder half of it is unplayable (or is prone to ****ed spawns).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 12:07 PM

So, I tried out akimbo SMGs last night. Probably not the best test as I've been awful this week, but my review: Worse than solo. The big benefit, you'd think, is being able to dole out twice the damage in the same amount of time. Not likely. I had one encounter where I laced into a guy and he made it to a door without dying. Unless it was lag, the lack of accuracy just is too crippling (SMGs were already suspect at medium-long range. Now? You're lucky to hit something at medium to medium-short). Oh, and I was still using SP.

Conclusion: If you really want put out bullets, compromise and use rapid fire. Not an exact match, but the added accuracy plus the ability to look down sights should more than make up for it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 12:08 PM

Oh, I found the next level of evil akimbo 1887s - the lightweight ninja.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2009, 12:19 PM

Silenced RPDs are sneaky dangerous.
I have neglected the light machineguns completely. I shall have a play.

Apparently Marathon, plus lightweight, plus a shield and a shottie is THE capture the flag outfit this season. Semtex is the solution.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 12:22 PM

LMGs might not be the best thing for HC. Even with a grip their accuracy on at medium+ range will net you assists more than kills (assuming you have teammates that can clean-up).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 12:29 PM

I forgot to mention the epic adventure that was trying to get a match with boycookie and sek last night.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2009, 12:34 PM

LMGs might not be the best thing for HC. Even with a grip their accuracy on at medium+ range will net you assists more than kills (assuming you have teammates that can clean-up).
I'm playing less and less HC atm. No special reason why, just seems to happen that way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2009, 12:38 PM

I've been toying with trying some of the other game modes out. This is definitely related to my sucking at the moment.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2009, 12:44 PM

I tried to get into cage 3rd person last night - no luck. I tried some of the other really unpopular gamestypes - no luck. When I did finally get into a lobby, it had something like 50 secs before the next game.

Hopefully that patch had other stuff besides the Javelin and resupply glitches - like for MATCHMAKING !!!! Terrible sometimes.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2009, 03:01 PM

As much as I appreciate the game for putting me into a match, I'd like it if it didn't shove me into a game that's been gone on for a few minutes.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2009, 12:41 AM

Ran into Dakar, tonight in TDM. Had some great games with him and against him. I think I got him once. I know he got me at least once.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2009, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I'll occasionally jump into you guys' games when I'm bored. I thought I had a few good cross-map FAMAS snipes on you on Rundown.

---

Last night I stole 4 enemy carepackages, I think. That's about as many as I've done up to this point, it was crazy. Most fun was I stole two on Rundown, probably from the same guy given their location. Got a Harrier the first time, and a Chopper Gunner the second, which I managed to get the game-winning killcam with. I can only hope he was the guy in the killcam.

---

I had one dude last night, who's connection was so awesome that twice my client went through with the actual stabbing animation and nothing happened host-side.

---

I've been using the M4 on my Runner class. The thing fires soooo fast, but even with SP it feels weak. I still lose a lot of straight-up battles. I'll move on to the SCAR after mastery, I guess.

---

Crosbie is destined to be on the opposing team.

---

RDS or Holographic? The actual sights aren't very different, but I think the holographic blocks an unholy amount of your view.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 05:28 PM

RDS or Holographic? The actual sights aren't very different, but I think the holographic blocks an unholy amount of your view.
Holographic usually, the reason is with RDS i feel it actualy blocks less space but all in one section,when someone is snipping from a hidden area or through a window i sometimes block a small portion of available shooting area as they move in and out of sight and don't notice them, with the holographic i have better results in that situation.

Last night was quite a good run for me actually, i felt almost unstoppable for a while. My new killstreak loadout is 10x better than my old and adding at least 5/6 kills to each of my games.

But now that i finally completed my Collateral Damage challenge (i just wanted that damn black skull emblem) my sniper class is gathering dust.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 05:29 PM

---

I had one dude last night, who's connection was so awesome that twice my client went through with the actual stabbing animation and nothing happened host-side.
At first that looked like a FAIL killcam but i knew it was the connection.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2009, 09:23 PM

Crosbie is destined to be on the opposing team.
Killing you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2009, 05:11 AM

Saturday, I was the best MW2 player on the planet. Pure pwnage, loads of points, challenges, different weapons used, levelling up nicely. Sunday I played with my feet. After having a few toes amputated.

The Aug Hbar is a class weapon. The iron sights are great, it packs a pounch, good ammo capacity, great for short bursts. With a silencer on during Invasion I got 30-2 IIRC, only got killed right at the beginning and with a predator. Great gun. I imagine the RPD that Dakar raves about behaves the same. I shall be continuing with the light machine guns for a bit.

Standard TDM moan : I just don't get the black magic that is CoD. I hit a guy 4 times using a silenced 50 from quite a distance in Estate. 4 times over about 5 seconds and he doesn't die. A few seconds later I get that little 20 popping up for the assist. I had Stopping power on and I didn't go through a wall.

Tried the marathon, light weight, commando setup with a throwing knife, MP5K and Striker. Quite fun, very hard to shoot from certain directions. Works well in Underpass.

Peter Harrison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I was going try to describe why I don't like it, but, I couldn't think of what it is. It's kinda small, got alot of dead ends, kinda too open in spaces. It seems to have some ambush points (or choke points?)

All these sound good to me! Good mix of open and closed areas, indoors and outdoors and, as you said, clever ambush areas that you can use to your advantage if you are a devious individual

I find it a greap map. I like it a little more than Invasion, but I'm not saying anything negative about Invasion, it's a really good map too.

My vitals!

Best rank: 130,000th for accuracy (23.5%) and bear in mind the first tens of thousands are people who just started the game, have taken one shot and have 100% accuracy!

Best killstreak: 29

Best kill/death ration in free for all: 29:1

Best kill/death ration in team deathmatch: 29:2

Pretty much only using Shotgun and M16 now.
( Last edited by Peter Harrison; Dec 14, 2009 at 08:41 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 08:46 AM

The Aug Hbar is a class weapon. The iron sights are great, it packs a pounch, good ammo capacity, great for short bursts. With a silencer on during Invasion I got 30-2 IIRC, only got killed right at the beginning and with a predator. Great gun. I imagine the RPD that Dakar raves about behaves the same. I shall be continuing with the light machine guns for a bit.
I love the HBAR, it's my main weapon class for TDM. Great stopping power, great accuracy with the grip, and it doesn't take a decade to reload like the other LMGs.

In other news I unlocked the Raffica last night, sweeeeet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I love the HBAR, it's my main weapon class for TDM. Great stopping power, great accuracy with the grip, and it doesn't take a decade to reload like the other LMGs.
You tried the other LMGs? I find the LSW no better than throwing stones. Very weak, even with SP.

In other news I unlocked the Raffica last night, sweeeeet.
You going through this level the same as the last one? I'm going to widen my weapon usage a bit more, while always having one 'comfort' class that I can go back to if the game gets a bit painful.

Might even give CoD4 a blast again

Peter Harrison : whats your gamertag?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2009, 01:30 PM

You tried the other LMGs? I find the LSW no better than throwing stones. Very weak, even with SP.
I've had good luck with the LSW on Terminal and Highrise, but other than that it's a little inaccurate for most uses. The HBAR with grip has FAMAS-like accuracy. The RPD is about the same, for me, as the LSW. It takes forever to reload, but it has pretty damn good power, it's another weapon I'll use for Terminal and Highrise.

You going through this level the same as the last one? I'm going to widen my weapon usage a bit more, while always having one 'comfort' class that I can go back to if the game gets a bit painful.
I'm actually set on using less weapons this time. Instead of using each AR as I unlock it I'm staying with the SCAR and FAMAS until I unlock the ACR. I'm only using the HBAR as my LMG now that it's unlocked. I'm not using the SMGs at all, I'd rather get a few titles for 500 kills with other weapons instead. My classes are either Sniper/Raffica, AR/MIssile Launcher, or HBAR/Raffica. I also have a stabbing class, Marathon/Lightweight/Commando with Akimbo G18s.

I found I wasted to much time getting kills with the TAR21 and M4A1, which spread my AR kills thin. I also had between 150 and 200 kills with each SMG, I'll be putting those kills to use elsewhere this time.

For my second prestige I plan on exploring the other weapons more, hell I might even use a Pistol!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2009, 11:36 PM

Had a 17-0 run to start a game with Dakar this evening, decided to take a seat to eat some dinner and take the perfect game only to get killed twice by a harrier in the last 20 seconds

Side Note: I was pretty hot and cold as usual tonight but the next game i played after Dakar got off i went 44-9 (new best for me)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2009, 07:27 AM

Having toooooo much fun with a crazy commando class : marathon, light foot, ninja, silenced ump and the striker.

Might mix up the weaps a bit. Really really good in the city/town maps.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2009, 09:43 AM

I got the challenge of staying alive for five minutes. It was in underpass and managed to get an 10 kill streak.

I had a 19-2 and a 23-3 game last night.
The 23-3 was after I changed my killstreak rewards to 7, 9, 11. Harrier, Pavelow, Chopper Gunner. I was playing Rundown and late into the game I got my 7 kill streak -- after a fairly slow, low kill, game -- called in the Harrier, which gave me two more, then I called in the Pavelow which took me to 23 kills.

In the games that I used the Harrier and Pavelow there weren't any people with rocket launchers since my air support stayed in the air for a long time. I tried to call in my Chopper Gunner but whenever I opened the briefcase it said something about the air being too crowded.

I've changed from the M16 to the ACR and I'm enjoying it. While I like the three burst of the FAMAS and M16, the ACR's full automatic is very handy when you see the entire enemy team coming at you. During my last game last night I unlocked the heartbeat sensor.
After I unlock the rest of the ACR attachments I might try the LMGs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
At first that looked like a FAIL killcam but i knew it was the connection.
No, it didn't happen on a killcam, so that was probably a legit fail. One of the down-sides of the burst-fire weapons is they suck short range, so often times I'll do desperation knifing to compensate.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Killing you.
The original Crosbie. The one that actually plays this game and matchmaking seems so intent on dropping for our party.

Great gun. I imagine the RPD that Dakar raves about behaves the same. I shall be continuing with the light machine guns for a bit.
It's not a real LMG. It's an assualt rifle classed as a LMG. It also has a tiny clip.

If you're haing to reload with the RPD often, you're either really good or doing it wrong. If its the former, use One Man Army, as it takes less time to change classes than reload the RPD.

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Had a 17-0 run to start a game with Dakar this evening, decided to take a seat to eat some dinner and take the perfect game only to get killed twice by a harrier in the last 20 seconds
I was laughing that all that hard work went to naught. I figured you were trying for the perfect game achieve (and at 17-0, why not).

---

Notes from the weekend

• Is it me, or is martyrdom way less deadly now? This plays towards my "the fuse is really long" angle.

• Not that I was having too much trouble with it, but I figured out that whatever class you use on Skid Row is meant for Sub Base too. Similar playing styles required.

• HBS on Terminal is perfection.

• Speaking of Terminal, I ran out of ammo on my RPD and found some dual 1887s lying around so I picked them up. Ran out, dual-fired across a room at some guy - HEADSHOT. Ridiculous.

• I saw Favela once this weekend. That's out of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I am extremely happy.

• Finally went negative on Rust last night (with Bogues). Combo of a good team and my shots just not counting.

• While we're on Rust, Fatty and I got dropped into one of the glitched games Sunday night, a 9 v 9 affair on Rust with no score.

• ...and speaking of glitched, this ones spreading like wild-fire: I got into a game last night with infinite ammo. Which means your noob tube fires like a machine gun. I was petrified but it sounded hilarious.

• Finally: Remember how wI used to say that consoles are less prone to hacking/cheating, etc.? I think MW2 is gonna break that thought once and for all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 12:26 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 01:02 PM

Finally bought the game on Amazon for $44.99.
...on PS3

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 01:05 PM

• Speaking of Terminal, I ran out of ammo on my RPD and found some dual 1887s lying around so I picked them up. Ran out, dual-fired across a room at some guy - HEADSHOT. Ridiculous.
Quite hilarious how antique shotguns with no range or accuracy can get a headshot at all.

• While we're on Rust, Fatty and I got dropped into one of the glitched games Sunday night, a 9 v 9 affair on Rust with no score.
That match was berserk. I was a terrorist, yet I was on the 141 Team. Other people were on the terrorist team, but were 141 characters. This made for lots of accidental team killing and just general mayhem.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 01:07 PM

Oh, word from 402 is there is a 1887 patch on the way. Maybe I'll wait til it arrives to prestige.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2009, 10:50 PM

I saw the unlimited ammo glitch with the grenade launcher. Ran into it in 2 TDM games. Worst games I ever played. I quit the second game as soon as I saw the glitch again. Why do people have to ruin a good game.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2009, 05:47 AM

Played quite a few glitched games last night, until a headache from all the noise sent me to bed. I actuallt thought that it was quite fun.

Simple things, simple minds I guess.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2009, 12:32 PM

Anyone here try SitRep? I managed to kill some dude on Estate last night by shooting a glowing claymore inside the house while I was just outside the boathouse.

I wonder what the killcam for that is like.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 01:00 PM

Thats a title challenge as well, but I think you also need FMJ equipped.

I used it on my sniper class, because sometimes I'd be able to see one through a wall way across the map and get a penetration kill. Also my sniper class is a sniper killer class, so it can be helpful since most snipers have Claymores equipped.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2009, 01:05 PM

FMJ not necessary, I got the title and emblem after that game.

It makes a lot of sense on my Sniper Class. It plays on maps where claymores are prevalent. Really, the only other perk to use would be Ninja, and HBS isn't that prevalent on my sniping maps (Estate & Derail). That I'm sick of having it on every class.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 01:12 PM

Hmm, no Sniping in Afghan?

I alternate between my AR class and Sniper class on Estate, some games are either snipe-fests or rush-the-house fests.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2009, 01:18 PM

I'm only an amateur sniper. Afghan requires more effort and skill. I'm quite happy to constantly repel those who would take the bunker. Also, no one uses claymores there.

From a weapons standpoint, I'd say Afghan is the perfect burst weapon map. You need the accuracy for long distances, but much of it plays medium-long to medium range. Any close quarters combat is usually reliant on explosives. Actually, my main class was crafted from playing in Afghan. It just so happens it plays well on the majority of maps.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 01:24 PM

I do my best sniping on Afghan, probably accounts for most of my Sniper headshots too.

Either it's the map or my SDTV, but Derail is just about impossible to snipe on, I can't see a damn thing with all the snow in the way. Even starting on the single floor building side, I can't see people in the windows of the two-story warehouses across the way, it's really frustrating. My best game ever on Derail (23-6) was me with a Raffica on the stairs of the warehouse. Besides that game I usually end up about even with less than 10 kills, I really don't like Derail very much, I actually prefer Underpass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2009, 01:32 PM

I've really come to detest Derail. It's just so much work for such a slow game. There's two buildings. That's it. One side is completely barren. And there's too much cover on the other side, so sniping is limited to idiots in the windows of both buildings. Anytime I travel, I feel defenseless since I couldn't possible scope fast enough to thwart an attack, and while the shotgun is quite useful, you could get ****ed on range easily.

I almost got the AFK Accolade on it the other night (when I was playing with Bogues). I finished the game with 1 kill, and by a large stroke of luck, that kill netted me the Denier Challenge (kill someone right before they get a killstreak of 10 or higher). Me finishing there with 3-5 kills (but positive) is getting to be a pretty regular event.

I really can't figure out what the right class/strategy for the map is.

Edit: I've come to embrace Underpass. I originally defaulted to my Ninja class because I was getting brutalized on there, but I'm pretty sure I could cut it even with a normal class on there. 'Course I have a pretty lock-down strategy where my entire goal is to pick of people from a few spots that the area I patrol affords me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

You should see Derail on HC TDM, I've played games that only went as high as 3500 points.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2009, 01:42 PM

Oh, I believe it. That's part of the allure of SitRep. I might be able to figure out where some people are without UAV.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2009, 04:27 PM

I've used sitrep a couple of times. I'm trying to go through a few of those perks.

I used scavenger on the ACR and that was fairly successful.

For derailed, I like to use a silenced assault rifle, and a claymore to protect one of the stairs in the main building, if I get in there.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2009, 10:04 AM

I've really come to detest Derail. It's just so much work for such a slow game. There's two buildings. That's it. One side is completely barren. And there's too much cover on the other side, so sniping is limited to idiots in the windows of both buildings. Anytime I travel, I feel defenseless since I couldn't possible scope fast enough to thwart an attack, and while the shotgun is quite useful, you could get ****ed on range easily.

I almost got the AFK Accolade on it the other night (when I was playing with Bogues). I finished the game with 1 kill, and by a large stroke of luck, that kill netted me the Denier Challenge (kill someone right before they get a killstreak of 10 or higher). Me finishing there with 3-5 kills (but positive) is getting to be a pretty regular event.

I really can't figure out what the right class/strategy for the map is.
I call it the 'Don't give a sh1t about your k/d ratio' class. Marathon, Light foot, Ninja, Silenced UMP, Striker, Semtex, flash bangs, Martyrdom. Don't stop running, ever. Don't take cover, don't look around, just go where the red dots are.

To really get on people's nerves, usage of smoke grenades is highly recommended. If you die enough you can basically block all vision between the two sides by always throwing smoke into the canal/damaged trains.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

I call it the 'Don't give a sh1t about your k/d ratio' class. Marathon, Light foot, Ninja, Silenced UMP, Striker, Semtex, flash bangs, Martyrdom. Don't stop running, ever. Don't take cover, don't look around, just go where the red dots are.
I use Bling Pro, Cold-Blooded, Ninja, Silenced FAMAS or M16, Silenced P2000, Martyrdom or Last-Stand. Claymore and stun grenades.

If I start on the side with the train engine and two buildings, I head for the main center building. If I start on the town side, I head either of 2 ways - around the left staying in the bushes and heading to the power station beside the train engine, OR head as fast as possible to the center building keeping an eye out for any enemies.

And Mattys right, you have to keep an eye all around. It's easy to pick up a tail.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules