Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Duplicated Menu Bar Problem

Duplicated Menu Bar Problem
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2011, 10:31 PM

For the past month or so I've had a duplicate menu bar, and I can't seem to figure out why. Each item works just fine, but I've got two of everything. Does anyone have any idea where I ought to look to resolve this?

Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

P
Jan 31, 2011, 05:54 AM

Seems like all the menu extras have been duplicated. Interesting - check the the Menu Extras folder both in /System/Library, /Library and ~/Library to see if any files exist in more than one folder.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 31, 2011, 01:47 PM

That may not explain why they appear in two sets, instead of each item duplicated in filename order. I'd suspect two running instances of the menu extras daemon. Which I'm not thinking of the name for.

Try opening Activity Monitor and sort by process name. Look for duplicates. It would be under your user, so you can limit processes to your own.

P
Jan 31, 2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
That may not explain why they appear in two sets, instead of each item duplicated in filename order. I'd suspect two running instances of the menu extras daemon. Which I'm not thinking of the name for.
SystemUIServer, isn't it?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 31, 2011, 02:58 PM

Force-quitting SystemUIServer did indeed cause my menu extras to vanish, then reload when SystemUIServer restarted.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Try opening Activity Monitor and sort by process name. Look for duplicates. It would be under your user, so you can limit processes to your own.
It actually seems I have a double set of SystemUIServer running on this user (only one copy for another user). Good thought! Any idea how that might happen? Of course the better question is "how do I get only one to load?" Quitting one of the instances causes it to re-load, while quitting the other makes it dissapear until restart/login. Hmm...
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules