Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vegans

Vegans
misc
Aug 10, 2003, 02:32 AM

So I was reading up on veganism and I was just wondering who here is like our fearless leader, Steve Jobs?

Don't be shy, I'm sure people wont bite.. too hard.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Cipher13
Aug 10, 2003, 02:35 AM

*sharpens teeth and waits patiently*

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 02:37 AM

Funny you should mention this.

I am a vegetarian and today at work we had a new guy start which is vegan. At first I thought it was cool but he got on my nerves in a real hurry.

He wouldn't eat the salad cuz it had Feta cheese on it, that is fine but he called it "Vagina Cheese".

Then someone offered him some vanilla Vodka (yes at work) and he said no because he THINKS it might have honey in it.

Oh please.

Needless to say he is short and thin.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 02:42 AM

Vagina cheese?

Not a vegan, I have a friend who's a vegan though, I took her out to lunch at Moxies once and we ordered our food, and she was like I don't know what to have, and I'm like oh their beef dip... wait uhh... club nope... chicken dexlux clu- ham bur- they have nice fries

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Vagina cheese?
I don't get it either. I think he was relating it to a yeast infection or something as it is big and lumpy

Anywho, I didn't want to eat my cheesecake after that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by misc:
So I was reading up on veganism and I was just wondering who here is like our fearless leader, Steve Jobs?

i was vegan for 3 years soon after becoming vegetarian. i sorta slipped the entire way. not eating meat and not eat dairy products for whatever reason came real easy to me at the time so i just went with it.

i started to miss nacho cheese doritos and REAL pancakes (of all things), so i went back to just normal vegetarian.

Originally posted by Cipher13:
*sharpens teeth and waits patiently*
ouch. yr dentist is gonna be mad at you.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I don't get it either. I think he was relating it to a yeast infection or something as it is big and lumpy

Anywho, I didn't want to eat my cheesecake after that.
Vaginas scare you that much eh?

Do you have nightmare where you find yourself in the audince of the vagina monolouges?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2003, 03:50 AM

I take it you missed the long and somewhat hate-filled thread about vegetarianism that we had two or three weeks ago?

I'm vegetarian but not vegan BTW.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:53 AM

oh uhh correction I think my friend is a vegitarian not a vegan... now that it seems the difference is emerging... sorry for being ignorant

And why would anyone hate a vegitarian? They're some of the nicest... and thinist... and thinist... I hate vegitarians...

willed
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 07:16 AM

I'm fine with whatever crazy people do in their own homes - it's just when you invite people round or go out to eat with them, and they can't eat what you've spent ages cooking for them, or anything on the menu ('no, it's fine, really, I'll just have a salad'). Annoying finicky people.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 07:49 AM

oh uhh correction I think my friend is a vegitarian not a vegan... now that it seems the difference is emerging... sorry for being ignorant

And why would anyone hate a vegitarian? They're some of the nicest... and thinist... and thinist... I hate vegitarians...
i might try and "get" religion, just so i can pray you die soon, you annoying turd

willed: as for "Annoying finicky people," well, they're called beliefs, and i'm willing to bet you have some too. somewhere. some people stick to theirs more than others. i'm not going to eat a steak at someone's house, just because they invited me, and didn't know i'm vegetarian.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 08:09 AM

Vagina cheese?
Clamburger anyone?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Clamburger anyone?
No thanks. Just had one and couldn't possibly fit in another.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 10, 2003, 08:42 AM

I am.

And since I know at least one person will remark with the most profound question I've never heard, you bet, all I eat are rocks and twigs.

From what I've read. S. Jobs isn't vegan as he eats sushi (fish).

And I'm not really that thin, either. Just the way I'm built, I guess. Plus, Fritos are vegan, too

willed
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
i might try and "get" religion, just so i can pray you die soon, you annoying turd

willed: as for "Annoying finicky people," well, they're called beliefs, and i'm willing to bet you have some too. somewhere. some people stick to theirs more than others. i'm not going to eat a steak at someone's house, just because they invited me, and didn't know i'm vegetarian.
Yeah, well I wouldn't be too pissed off, as anyone I invite round to eat would be a friend anyway. Fair point though. And, err, nicely put re Supercu[n]t.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Yeah, well I wouldn't be too pissed off, as anyone I invite round to eat would be a friend anyway. Fair point though. And, err, nicely put re Supercu[n]t.
You know you guys just radiate kindness... oh wait no that's just the smell of your deoderant free under arms making me delutional again...

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 11:26 AM

Vaginas scare you that much eh?

Do you have nightmare where you find yourself in the audince of the vagina monolouges?
Not terribly no, but the thought of a yeast infection when I am eating cheesecake doesn't help matters.

Are you saying you would be turned on by it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cipher13
Aug 10, 2003, 11:27 AM

You know you guys just radiate kindness... oh wait no that's just the smell of your deoderant free under arms making me delutional again...
Yes. Delutional indeed.

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 12:32 PM

Quote:"I'm fine with whatever crazy people do in their own homes - it's just when you invite people round or go out to eat with them, and they can't eat what you've spent ages cooking for them, or anything on the menu ('no, it's fine, really, I'll just have a salad'). Annoying finicky people."

Off topic (well, not really OFF but a side aspect):

I�m an allergician, and aside from the "normal stuff" like pollen and dust (at home) i�m also reacting strong when consuming certain foods like hazelnuts/walnuts/carrots/apricots/cheese containing blue and white mould....and so on

You have to live with the fact that certain folks cannot eat everything you prepared. Sad but true.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 12:36 PM

Vegans are okay. Impolite zealots come in many flavours and are never okay.

However... every vegan I have ever known personally has been an impolite zealot about their food choices.

"I can't believe you're going to drink that chicken broth... that's drinking a witch's cauldron of murder."

"Just a warning, don't use my frying pan to cook meat, because you wouldn't want me using your toothbrush to clean my ass."

"No, I don't eat fish or dairy products. It's natural. You know those cheese doodles you're eating? Imagine explaining the process of how that got into your mouth to your ancient ancestors. They'd vomit..."

Me: "Vomit what? Their processed soy turkey loaf fried in peanut oil all over their hemp weave nehru jackets?"
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
However... every vegan I have ever known personally has been an impolite zealot about their food choices.
this doesnt make every vegan an impolite zealot...

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
this doesnt make every vegan an impolite zealot...
Oh, absolutely - of course they're not all bad! They can't all be bad. Is Steve an impolite zealot? No. err... Still, they can't all be bad.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
"Just a warning, don't use my frying pan to cook meat, because you wouldn't want me using your toothbrush to clean my ass."
Hmmm.. It's oft overlooked by meat eaters that veggies and vegans don't want to use cooking implements which have had meat near them.
Speaking from the other side of the fence, it does get kind of annoying when meat folks don't get it and use the "meat free" implements because they're convenient (i.e. meat implements need washing or something). I've lost track of the amount of times I've had to mention this to pizza places (who offer a veggie option but then cut the pizza with something which has just been cutting a "meat feast").

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 02:05 PM

why the heck do vegans eat meat flavored stuff when they hate to eat meat so much?

misc  (op)
Aug 10, 2003, 02:07 PM

Ok, here's my question:

Will I still be considered a Vegan if I don't eat meat and don't wear any leather, but still eat milk, honey, etc.?

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

misc  (op)
Aug 10, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
why the heck do vegans eat meat flavored stuff when they hate to eat meat so much?
There are varying reasons people choose to be Vegan.

For most it's not what it tastes like, it's that they don't want to eat any animal product, and give money to a company that abuses the animals.

Fireside, do you want to wear any clothing made in a sweatshop?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 02:24 PM

Ok, here's my question:

Will I still be considered a Vegan if I don't eat meat and don't wear any leather, but still eat milk, honey, etc.?
No. Veggie yes, but to be vegan you have to give up dairy and honey.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 02:38 PM

Wernt vegatables once living things too? I don't see their argument really. Killing a plant is practically the same thing as killing an animal, to me anyways. It's called the circle of life, things must die to help other things live.

Chris

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No. Veggie yes, but to be vegan you have to give up dairy and honey.
So why do they have a problem with honey exactly?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Cause it's slave labour Those poor bee's work their asses off for nothing!

Chris

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 02:45 PM

i've never been 100% sure of that one, either

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Cause it's slave labour Those poor bee's work their asses off for nothing!

Chris
I think it is because it is bee spit. They really don't want anything that came off an animal do they?

Well if it wasn't for bee's they wouldn't have those plants they like to eat so much.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 03:15 PM

No idea, as I'm veggie not vegan. I think it may be something to do with keeping bees in unnatural conditions or something.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Not terribly no, but the thought of a yeast infection when I am eating cheesecake doesn't help matters.

Are you saying you would be turned on by it?
To me nothing can take away the joy of cheese cake.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:32 PM

Wernt vegatables once living things too? I don't see their argument really. Killing a plant is practically the same thing as killing an animal, to me anyways. It's called the circle of life, things must die to help other things live.

Chris
ya. obviously its the same. slicing a cows throat and plucking a pepper off a plant.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No idea, as I'm veggie not vegan. I think it may be something to do with keeping bees in unnatural conditions or something.
but, bees make honey in the wild, surely? same as cows make milk? and chickens lay eggs?

okay, i can see how things are changed now, with cows being pumped full of chemicals, and sometimes kept in non-too-funky conditions. and, free-range eggs are the ones the hens decide not to lay, right? so, they'd never be chickens anyway?

i'm waiting to be corrected on both points, should i be wrong about this. i'm still not seeing the honey thing, though. some vegans must want to tell me, surely?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
ya. obviously its the same. slicing a cows throat and plucking a pepper off a plant.
A plant is a living thing. Sure animals can express pain and suffering (which makes it grusome), but that doesnt mean a plant doesnt 'feel' anything in some way when it's killed.

I eat meat and vegetables, so it's not like I care all that much anyways I have to survive somehow, if it's at the expense of another living creature... well... that's life.

Chris

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 03:41 PM

but, bees make honey in the wild, surely? same as cows make milk? and chickens lay eggs?

okay, i can see how things are changed now, with cows being pumped full of chemicals, and sometimes kept in non-too-funky conditions. and, free-range eggs are the ones the hens decide not to lay, right? so, they'd never be chickens anyway?

i'm waiting to be corrected on both points, should i be wrong about this. i'm still not seeing the honey thing, though. some vegans must want to tell me, surely?
a definition of veganism from this page which should explain the belief. im not particularly endorsing this, just supplying it for interest sake. the quote is basically all you need.

Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 03:46 PM

A quick summary of the difference from the skanky ho website:

"vegetarian: if an animal must be killed (gelitan, meat, etc)
vegan: if an animal is used at all (milk, eggs, etc)"

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 03:51 PM

A plant is a living thing. Sure animals can express pain and suffering (which makes it grusome), but that doesnt mean a plant doesnt 'feel' anything in some way when it's killed.

I eat meat and vegetables, so it's not like I care all that much anyways I have to survive somehow, if it's at the expense of another living creature... well... that's life.

Chris
yeah, we've never heard that stuff before. you should be on stage.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 03:55 PM

And what, exactly is the difference between sliting a cows throat to kill it for food
(typical cows/pigs ive seen die in under 1 minute with this procedure), or a lion eating a LIVING Zebra while it is basically eaten to death?

If we weren't meant to eat meat we wouldn't be able to... I do agree MOST of the way these animals are treated is horrible, but its the choice we have made for convience I guess.

Perhaps anyone interested should check out http://goveg.com/

The "Meet your Meat" is a decent video, shows a lot of extreme cases, but I wouldn't expect anything less from such an extremist organazation.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by bleuvixen:
And what, exactly is the difference between sliting a cows throat to kill it for food
(typical cows/pigs ive seen die in under 1 minute with this procedure), or a lion eating a LIVING Zebra while it is basically eaten to death?

If we weren't meant to eat meat we wouldn't be able to... I do agree MOST of the way these animals are treated is horrible, but its the choice we have made for convience I guess.

Perhaps anyone interested should check out http://goveg.com/

The "Meet your Meat" is a decent video, shows a lot of extreme cases, but I wouldn't expect anything less from such an extremist organazation.
can you eat a living zebra while it is eaten to death?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by bleuvixen:
you're basically as stupid as the dimwit who said something about killing vegetables.

I WANT SOME MILK.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 04:11 PM

you're basically as stupid as the dimwit who said something about killing vegetables.

I WANT SOME MILK.
One glance at your sig is really telling as to who the dimwit here is

I was simply making a point that whether it's a vegetable or an animal, it's still ending life.

Chris

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 04:13 PM

I really don't think bees give a ****.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2003, 04:22 PM

I suppose there are some very vocal vegetarians/vegans, but none of the vegetarians I know would attack others for eating meat, or act holier-than-thou towards them. If anything, they just want to be left along -- treated normaly and not subjected to ignorant questions about or challenges to their beliefs.

If you want my opinion, it's the people who seem to have to argue with vegetarians about what they believe who are far more annoying.

If I am invited to someone's house for dinner, of course I always make it a point to tell them I am a vegetarian. That is simple courtesy. In most cases, I would be perfectly happy just eating a side-dish or something. They don't have to make something especially for me.

As for Steve Jobs eating sushi, we don't know what kind of sushi he has. There are several kinds of vegan sushi, so it's entirely possible that he doesn't eat fish.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2003, 04:25 PM

One glance at your sig is really telling as to who the dimwit here is

I was simply making a point that whether it's a vegetable or an animal, it's still ending life.
once again, the brain power of the canadians* astounds the entire world...

*apart from one. and you know i always hate saying that. jeez, i'll be agreeing with zim soon. is hell freezing over?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2003, 04:27 PM

You think vegetarians don't realize this? One of my main points in the previous thread on vegetariansm (which was locked) was that those who choose vegetarianism for moral reasons rather than health reasons realize that eating vegetables results in their death, but we are choosing the lesser of two evils. Humans can survive wonderfully without meat, but cannot survive without meat AND vegetables. In addition, it seems fairly clear that vegetables do not have the nervous system that animals do, and so probably can't be said to feel pain or emotions in the way that animals do. Thus, if I have the choice between cutting down a stalk of corn or butchering a pig, the former seems to be the more humane decision.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
You think vegetarians don't realize this? One of my main points in the previous thread on vegetariansm (which was locked) was that those who choose vegetarianism for moral reasons rather than health reasons realize that eating vegetables results in their death, but we are choosing the lesser of two evils. Humans can survive wonderfully without meat, but cannot survive without meat AND vegetables. In addition, it seems fairly clear that vegetables do not have the nervous system that animals do, and so probably can't be said to feel pain or emotions in the way that animals do. Thus, if I have the choice between cutting down a stalk of corn or butchering a pig, the former seems to be the more humane decision.
I agree that it's more humane to 'kill' a plant than to kill an animal. I just don't think vegetarians have any room to talk when they are bashing meat eaters. Which alot like to do.

I didnt see the other thread, but your point is valid.

Chris

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 04:44 PM

once again, the brain power of the canadians* astounds the entire world...

*apart from one. and you know i always hate saying that. jeez, i'll be agreeing with zim soon. is hell freezing over?
Ya like you said, I am the one exception

Forum Links
Forum Rules