Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why does the US Defense department want interstellar travel?

Why does the US Defense department want interstellar travel?
design219
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 02:49 PM

Pentagon dreams of Star Trek interstellar travel - Boston.com

I don't know what to think of this. I'm all for promoting innovation and the sciences, but it seems like a rather odd thing for the defense department to spend money on, especially with our overstretched budget.

I hate to think we need star travel for defensive purposes. Maybe the government does know something we don't.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I hate to think we need star travel for defensive purposes. Maybe the government does know something we don't.
Of course there are ancillary technological applications to be expected. For a purely defensive reasoning, see: The Killing Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only half-joking.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 04:05 PM

Seems like that is a reason to avoid developing this technology

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 04:12 PM

Well it's obvious why they want to. Currently people use about 15-20 times as many resources as the planet can support. So to deal with the over population problem they're probably wanting another 15 planets or something. They're only putting in 1 mil dollars which will have little impact on their already overstretched budget.

The money would be better spent on quantum physics research grants/investment. We dont need more "imaginative ideas" and sci-fi thinkers but that seems to be the direction they're going here... which is about 20 years behind the times. If it was up to me I'd say anyone who goes to school for a quantum physics degree, your education is free... it's a tough field.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Seems like that is a reason to avoid developing this technology
Perhaps. But to a certain extent, only in hindsight can you tell how close you are to developing FTL or near-FTL capability sufficient to incur the wrath of a fearful neighbor. Perhaps it's a little like nuclear nonproliferation here, where everyone's panties get in a twist over the thought of a non-nuclear power having even the scientific and technical capability to build a bomb, even if the intent is dubious. Since we aren't about to revert to an agrarian society, perhaps the safest course of action may be to develop FTL quickly so we can get on with annihilating our neighbors ASAP.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 04:20 PM

The war on terror knows no bounds.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
So to deal with the over population problem they're probably wanting another 15 planets or something.
Yeah, that's the goal we need to reach, but I'm just surprised it's the defense department behind this. Just seems a little out of their scope.

I hope the first planets we reach have something that taste as good as cows do.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Thorzdad
Jun 17, 2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Yeah, that's the goal we need to reach, but I'm just surprised it's the defense department behind this. Just seems a little out of their scope.
Not really. The military has long been a driving force behind the space program. Many payloads carried on the shuttle were military, for instance. And, the USAF just happens to have this little branch.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 06:02 PM

So, FTL by 2030? 2040 latest? Cool. Can't wait. Thanks Unca Sam.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Not really. The military has long been a driving force behind the space program. Many payloads carried on the shuttle were military, for instance. And, the USAF just happens to have this little branch.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. But so far their focus has been on practical stuff... spy satellites, missile defense, orbiting weapons platforms (probably), etc. They are innovative and well involved (probably the only thing keeping NASA funded over the last few years), but why not moon or mars bases, something a little more doable, or at least feasible? This just seems a little... goofy.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2011, 07:29 PM

This is what DARPA is all about. You've got 4-6 years to shape the way war will look in 25 years. GPS, UAVs, etc were DARPA ideas, not in response to some commander's acquisition request.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 09:45 PM

They also invented the internet and the Grand Challenge for autonomous vehicles. I'm not entirely certain any vehicle has completed the Grand Challenge.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2011, 12:25 AM

We dont need more "imaginative ideas"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2011, 05:29 AM

Well it's obvious why they want to. Currently people use about 15-20 times as many resources as the planet can support. So to deal with the over population problem they're probably wanting another 15 planets or something.
Currently a minority of people (yes I`m one of them) use more resources than this planet can support.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2011, 05:40 AM

They want the Star Trek economy - sans money and sans debt.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
They also invented the internet and the Grand Challenge for autonomous vehicles. I'm not entirely certain any vehicle has completed the Grand Challenge.
Four vehicles completed the 2005 Grand Challenge within the time limit.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2011, 06:29 AM

The Appolo program was only partly about "national prestige" in beating the Soviets to the moon. It was also about developing technologies that nobody had imagined a year or two before. And it was extremely successful in that part of the venture-integrated circuits, for example, were developed from a concept to a mass-produced item (albeit still very low-density at the time) over the course of the development of the program.

DARPA is a research-driving engine. If we can solve even a few of the major challenges of sub-light speed interstellar travel, the payoff could include exceptionally efficient energy production and use, advanced recycling technologies, advances in applied physics in materials, fluid dynamics and much more, and of course, "who knows what else". DARPA was the driving force behind the development of the Internet, and it certainly didn't aim for an "advanced distribution system for pr0n"! The applications of what is built up in pursuit of "abstract" research projects are literally beyond current imagination. That's kind of the point.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules