Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more. (Page 2)
Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 5, 2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I'm in a similar situation. Except since I owned one of the original iPhones I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. It is a no brainer to switch to AT&T Next to take advantage of the cheaper rates and no down payment. But in order to do that I have to give up my unlimited data plan and live with the specter of overage charges. Still deciding ....

OAW
I'm grandfathered too. There is NO WAY that Next makes any sense to us. Yeah, we don't get a new phone every year, but every two has worked out just fine for us.

The convenience of cheap unlimited data far, far outweighs a new phone every year.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 04:13 PM

AT&T Next actually makes more sense if you don't use it to upgrade to a new phone every year. It's great for people on a three year cycle and roughly a wash for people on a 2 year cycle.

I just like it because you're actually paying for what you have, rather than just paying too much on the assumption you're upgrading.

That said, if I remember right, people on a mobile share plan of 10GB or more get a $25 monthly discount on each line and people on smaller data plans only get a $15 dollar discount. So it starts to make less sense.

This stuff is all way more confusing than it should be.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The thing I do most with a smartphone is carry it in my pocket. It spends much more time there than in my hand. That's why small is important to me. While I certainly appreciate the screen real estate of my S5, I prefer to leave it at home and carry my iPhone 5 when I go places.
This! I would only be interested in a larger screen IF AND ONLY IF it can easily slide in and out of the front pocket of my jeans or the inside pocket of a blazer. If it can't do that .... no thanks.

OAW

PS: After testing this with a friend's Samsung this probably won't be an issue with the 4.7" model. The jury is still out on the 5.5".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2014, 06:05 PM

One innovation I'd like to see (but I'm certain we won't) is for iPhones to have that awesome internal waterproofing that was doing the rounds on Mac sites a while back. You could send your phone in to have it coated but IMO Apple should just buy that company and make it standard to set themselves apart a bit more in terms of quality.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
One innovation I'd like to see (but I'm certain we won't) is for iPhones to have that awesome internal waterproofing that was doing the rounds on Mac sites a while back. You could send your phone in to have it coated but IMO Apple should just buy that company and make it standard to set themselves apart a bit more in terms of quality.
I am unsure why this idea has not been adopted more fully. A completely waterproof device would put you very far ahead your competition.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 06:59 PM

The thing I do most with a smartphone is carry it in my pocket. It spends much more time there than in my hand. That's why small is important to me. While I certainly appreciate the screen real estate of my S5, I prefer to leave it at home and carry my iPhone 5 when I go places.
I'm with you; the 5" phones are too big for me, too. Really wanted to like the HTC One M8 but it was just too big....actually it doesn't even fit in the cell phone pocket on my Camelbak and no way I was buying a new $100 pack for biking.

The old HTC One, now, was a 4.7" screen and although the bezels were huge by Apple standards it's still manageable, especially compared to the recent models. I'm hoping the rumours are right and Apple is going to use that size and make it significantly smaller than the latest flagships.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I am unsure why this idea has not been adopted more fully. A completely waterproof device would put you very far ahead your competition.
Not really....several Android models already have it. It's not perfect but eliminates the ol dropping-it-in-sink/toilet/pool problem...great comfort feature.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2014, 06:03 AM

Yep, you can safely send and receive calls in 1m of water on Sony handsets, done it myself (purposely dropped it into a full rain barrel), though reception is pretty crappy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2014, 08:00 AM

A cynical side of me says apple hasn't implemented waterproofing because they get lots of replacement business when people do drop it in the water, etc.

I'd feel a lot more confident/less anxious about ruinging my iphone (and not carry my waterproof camera around) if it were waterproof too.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2014, 08:30 AM

Yes, the repair issue is the only reason Apple wouldn't have done it.

The problem with this is that it directly contradicts Apple's (supposed) philosophy of building the best possible product they can. In the past during sales I have referred to build quality and luxury, and while its easy to explain away the reason your iPhone 5S doesn't have a TV tuner like whatever POS Android phone does, lack of waterproofing is not so easy to justify, especially now other handsets have it.
Of course, people don't spend a fraction as much repairing damaged or faulty Samsungs or HTCs because they are cheaper to replace, don't hold their value and parts are harder to get because there is a different model out every 15 minutes or so.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2014, 02:49 PM

Look what The Verge dragged in...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2014, 02:52 PM

That seems like a useable size.

My phone is my main axe, by an order of magnitude, so my MO since the iPhone 4 has been just get the new model, sight unseen.

I'm slightly miffed I now have to make a decision, and thus wait.

I know. FWP.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2014, 07:52 PM

The only saving grace is the rumor of one-hand operation in iOS 8.

I rely hope this feature works a advertised.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2014, 08:20 PM

Well, seems a lot smaller than the HTC One anyway, that's a start....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2014, 08:47 PM

I don't see how the iPhone 6 is a *lot* smaller than the HTC One.

But thickness might make a perceived difference. We'll have to wait until we can hold it to know for sure.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2014, 06:56 AM

Of course the perspective is different.....but the HTC looks far larger than the iP6 in comparing those side-by-side shots, no? Much narrower and maybe with a full bezel chopped off.

If the One had been that much smaller, I would've bought one when it came out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
A cynical side of me says apple hasn't implemented waterproofing because they get lots of replacement business when people do drop it in the water, etc.

I'd feel a lot more confident/less anxious about ruinging my iphone (and not carry my waterproof camera around) if it were waterproof too.
My S5 has a plug that goes in the usb port to ensure it's waterproof. That makes plugging it in more of a chore. If Apple can do a watertight Lightning port without the plug I'd be onboard.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2014, 10:26 AM

Apple will not go the waterproof route if it involves fiddly, crappy flaps and plugs and wobbly bits that come loose and are Generally Annoying.

There are third-party cases for that.

I would love for them to go with the kind of waterproof coating that has been demonstrated at trade shows a number of times, but there must be something keeping them from doing that.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2014, 10:30 AM

Been seeing some of the leaks on MacRumors, and i can't help but feel bored and uninterested in iOS. The 'face lift' (caked on makeup), last year was akin to a new 'theme' for essentially the same UI.

While i liked, enjoyed and understood the reasons for such a simple UI in the early days (simplicity, battery life, etc), i really think its time for the mobile os UI evolve to take advantage of the better batteries, displays and processors. And to make better use of the screen real estate. (Maybe this is an issue for a different thread?). And no, i do not want an 'anything goes' approach like Android, nor do i want 'widgets'. I want a new paradigm for the overall UI.

I also think my lack of excitement for this upcoming keynote is the fact that we know pretty much everything about the upcoming iPhone. Almost every detail has been leaked. Boy how times have changed since Steve passed (regarding leaks).

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 7, 2014, 10:34 AM

Its got less to do with Steve and more to do with manufacturing volume. There are something like 10x more iPad Airs in the wild then there were ever original iPads manufactured. Same with the iPhone 5s versus the original iPhone, and neither of those releases were big secrets.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2014, 03:09 PM

Icons and home buttons are just there until the voice interfaces get better surely?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2014, 05:14 PM

I have no interest in using apps on my wrist when my phone is in my pocket.

I don't need a "smart watch." I need a watch that makes my phone smarter.

If some of the rumours about an Apple watch loaded with biometric sensors are correct, then perhaps an iWatch will be something I want.

But if I'm just getting yet another method to check notifications, check the weather, and check Twitter, then I simply don't care.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2014, 07:16 PM

Getting to that top left corner is going to be close to the limits of my thumb. I already need to do a slight alteration of my grip to get there now.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Getting to that top left corner is going to be close to the limits of my thumb. I already need to do a slight alteration of my grip to get there now.
No offense to subego or anyone else who feels that a small phone is better, but can you all see that there are some people who want a larger iPhone?

I don't want a one-handed phone. I don't want a 4" (actually, I'm on an iP4 so it's 3.5") screen to view websites, YT, and Calendar on. I want a larger screen. My cargo shorts have large enough pockets to support a larger phone. I want a better camera, something that's fairly close to my P&S so I don't have to carry 2 devices.

Again, no offense to anyone, but I think there's a market for a larger iPhone. I've been researching phones for months now and the sweet spot for phones seems to be 5-5.5 inches.

Samsung S5? First thing I'd do (and my buddy did) is rip off that closure panel for the USB port. I don't want or need a waterproof/resistant phone, especially one that has ports covered.

IMHO, of course.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Sep 8, 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added Calendar.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
My cargo shorts
Ooo...you haven't heard?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 05:58 AM

But...what else would he wear to go with his sandals and tennis socks?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2014, 07:25 AM

Hahahaha

"my cargo shorts have enough space" is definitely a mandatory first entry on a list for, well, anything really

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 08:11 AM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
No offense to subego or anyone else who feels that a small phone is better, but can you all see that there are some people who want a larger iPhone?
Absolutely.

This is a problem in these types of threads. It's happened multiple times in the Android thread.

What I'm trying to say: this sucks for me.

What it comes off as: anyone who does not like it my way is a ****tard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2014, 10:31 AM

Isn't this discussion the exact reason Apple is rumored have two different sizes?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 10:50 AM

There's question of whether the 5/5s size will be retained with full features, or will it be a gimped 5c type thing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2014, 11:29 AM

Now that we've seen what is supposedly pretty final leaks of the design... can I just say... uh, yeah... this thing looks pretty bad. Those weird off color antenna lines and the protruding camera? I've heard so many snarky comments about protruding camera bumps from the apple bloggeratti through the years, it's going to be interesting to see how they react if this really is the design.

I don't really care, because mine goes in a case, but I still think this looks like a big step backwards, style-wise.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 11:35 AM

The only reason they would let the camera protrude is to make the camera better.

I'm willing to make tiny sacrifices for a better camera. My phone goes naked, too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2014, 11:37 AM

Yeah, can't say I'm in love with the weird aluminum look. Looks cheap.

andi*pandi
Sep 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

any links to the latest?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The only reason they would let the camera protrude is to make the camera better.

I'm willing to make tiny sacrifices for a better camera. My phone goes naked, too.
I'm fine with it as well. Thinness is nice and all, but in the real world there are more important concerns. I would rather have a 2mm thicker iPhone with 20% better battery life and a slightly better camera... and I bet 99% of the population would agree with me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 12:28 PM

Ooo...you haven't heard?
I just bought 10 new pairs...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2014, 12:30 PM

Well what are we wearing then? Because I'm not going back to jean shorts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2014, 01:04 PM

Pop Quiz: Where can you buy cargo shorts?

J Crew

Wal-Mart

Banana Republic

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Now that we've seen what is supposedly pretty final leaks of the design... can I just say... uh, yeah... this thing looks pretty bad. Those weird off color antenna lines and the protruding camera? I've heard so many snarky comments about protruding camera bumps from the apple bloggeratti through the years, it's going to be interesting to see how they react if this really is the design.

I don't really care, because mine goes in a case, but I still think this looks like a big step backwards, style-wise.
You said it. The iPhohne 4/s had the best overall design, then the 5/S had the crappy 2-tone back, and now these weird lines (worse than the 2-tone), protruding camera... and im not liking the curvyness over the sharp edges either. Very sloppy.

I have to say that the back has to be a single material/color (3GS, 4/S).

If the leaks are true.... as far as size and design i do not like what i have seen, which makes the 'weight' of the device inconsequential (to me).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
If the leaks are true.... as far as size and design i do not like what i have seen, which makes the 'weight' of the device inconsequential (to me).
But you can add a case, and still come in at a similar weight as before.

-t

davecom
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
You said it. The iPhohne 4/s had the best overall design, then the 5/S had the crappy 2-tone back, and now these weird lines (worse than the 2-tone), protruding camera... and im not liking the curvyness over the sharp edges either. Very sloppy.

I have to say that the back has to be a single material/color (3GS, 4/S).

I'm still using a 4 (excited about pre-ordering my upgrade today) and you can't honestly say the 4 was a good design given antenna-gate... Unless we're talking pure aesthetics in which case I actually quite liked my 3G.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by davecom View Post
I'm still using a 4 (excited about pre-ordering my upgrade today) and you can't honestly say the 4 was a good design given antenna-gate... Unless we're talking pure aesthetics in which case I actually quite liked my 3G.
I was speaking aesthetically. But from my experience (the many people who i know use a 4/S) antennagate was way out of proportion. It seemed to be more of an issue with those folks who never intended to buy an Apple product anyway.

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2014, 10:31 AM

I never noticed the antenna "issue" but I have noticed that the spouse's android gets better overall reception than my 4S. Same provider. Same spot. He'll have reception and I won't.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 10:56 AM

Is anyone expecting a 6C? Haven't heard any rumours...

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 01:06 PM

The Internet may be killing the feed. I've got it on Apple tv and there was half an intro video and now there's a test card with a time schedule on it.

Edit. And we're back in the room

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 01:10 PM

Same here. Now there's some Chinese lady that won't shut up in the background.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 01:14 PM

Live stream is a complete fail!!! Why does Apple always struggle with this stuff?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 9, 2014, 01:14 PM

Anyone else getting a Chinese translation while watching the event?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 01:18 PM

The 6+ is HUGE

I realize it's probably not compared to android device, but just comparing the reg 6 to the 5 the increase s pretty big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules