Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best way to "hack" ATV2?

Best way to "hack" ATV2?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 01:01 PM

As per my other thread on using the ATV2 as a primary audio/video source, I've been chafing at the limitations of the ATV2. (Specifically, it being tied only to Netflix or iTunes, both of which have serious limitations here in Canada. I'd love to be able to watch other streamed content and/or ripped DVDs and/or other forms of multimedia such as .avi as well - almost none of my existing library is tied to iTunes.) I've heard/seen names like Plex and XBMC thrown around, but whenever I've looked them up the installation looks to be what I would call "non-simple", involving a decent amount of command line work and seemingly a non-casual knowledge of jargon. And of course this all seems to be an ongoing process with updates on a regular basis, presumably to fix I-don't-know-what problems.

I've past the point in my life where I'm interested in technical details, know-how or explanations - it's just a waste of my brain power as I don't need to know it. I just want to be able to do these things, and that's it. So I can follow detailed instructions if need be, but don't want to have to do background research first at this point. Is that possible?

Does anyone here have experience with hacking or jailbreaking their ATV2? Advice/recommendations?
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; May 24, 2011 at 01:50 PM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 04:10 PM

I'm in the process of jailbraking my black ATV. (Still waiting on a micro USB cable from monoprice.com). I'm going to use Seas0npass since it looks pretty straight forward. The jailbraking part looks easy. The installing apps part (XBMC or PLEX) is the tough part. You have to install them through the terminal. Yuck.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah, that was my conclusion as well. Let me know what you think. XBMC looks great, at least on paper. I think (?) the BB has a micro usb cable so hopefully I don't need to pick one up for this - I effing hate cables.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 09:34 AM

Jailbreak using Seas0npass, then FTP to install nitoTV, one of the packages that comes with nitoTV is XBMC, so painless to install XBMC (just 1 click, no terminal).

The trick is while using Seas0npass only use the USB cable to to connect and power the ATV2, don't plug is the normal power supply plug - it is not needed until the jailbreaking is complete.

Have a look here for updated details.
( Last edited by Andy8; May 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: updated details)

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 10:04 AM

Another handy resource is the AwkwardTV wiki.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2011, 06:53 PM

Any update, Stogie?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 03:17 AM

Yeah, sorry for taking so long. It's been a busy week. I'm going to break this down into two parts.

I. Jailbreaking
II. App installation

Jailbreaking

I used Seas0nPass to jailbreak my AppleTV because the instructions looked pretty easy and straight forward. It was... until I ran into error messages. It took about 4 tries before I was successful. Before launching Seas0nPass, I suggest doing a little prep work. This will spare you some of the headaches during the jailbreak process.

1. Update the AppleTV to the most recent software (version 4.2.2). For some reason a "Error 1600" message kept popping up with the older version of the software.

2. Download TinyUmbrella to change the host file. If you don't, iTunes will display a verification error during the restore process.
a) Launch TinyUmbrella and select the Advance tab.
b) Uncheck the 'Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit' box and click the 'Apply Changes' button at the bottom.
c) Close both TinyUmbrella and iTunes

That's all for the prep work. Now launch Seas0nPass and follow the instructions on this page. Just follow the first 6 steps. (Ignore the tethered boot section near the bottom) It should take you no longer than 10 minutes to jailbreak.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jun 2, 2011 at 04:09 AM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 03:57 AM

App Installation.

There's two routes you can go with App installation on the AppleTV. The free way or the easy way.

The free way requires you to SSH into the AppleTV and enter some commands using Terminal.

Here's the instructions on how to install XBMC on ATV2. Along with video.

Here's another video that shows you how to install NitoTV.

I consider myself a Terminal weenie so I chose the easy route. FireCore, the same people that made Seas0nPass has another app called aTV Flash (black) for $20. The process is really simple.

1. Plug the AppleTV into your computer using a microUSB cable and run the aTV Flash installer. BAM! That's it.

Disconnect the AppleTV from the computer and hook it back up to your TV. There should now be a maintenance menu over on the far right of your screen. Select Manage Extras.

In this screen you can install a variety of extras and some 3rd party apps like XBMC, NitroTV and PLEX with just one click.

Installing XBMC was a breeze. Just one click. Configuring XBMC to see the files on your Mac... well that's another post. (Hint: It doesn't support AFP so you need to turn on Windows file sharing on your Mac.) Media player was a little easier to setup. Both played some low quality .avi files I had on my Mac just fine. I'm going to test out some more videos with a variety of quality and formats later this week.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jun 2, 2011 at 04:16 AM. )

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 01:33 PM

That's awesome stuff man.

Is it possible to push streaming video from a computer to the ATV, or is it "downloaded files" only? I automatically assume that the existence of MLB & NBA streaming apps means you can't with the non-hacked version, but I hadn't really thought about whether it was possible at all until a friend asked me last night.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2011, 06:31 PM

nitoTV comes with a variety of plug-ins you can install, one of which is an open source client for AFP.

( Last edited by Andy8; Jun 2, 2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added pic)

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 02:25 PM

Well I'm going to give this a shot - hopefully this weekend if possible.

How does this affect updating the ATV2? If Apple comes out with a new update, does that cause problems with a "jailbroken" ATV2 or any programs like NitoTV/XBMC/etc.?

greg

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 03:00 PM

I believe you need to re-jailbreak the ATV2 every time you update. So don't update unless you really need to. I'm not going to update until iOS 5 for AppleTV is released. (BTW, I read somewhere that iOS 5 has already been jailbroken.)

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2011, 12:09 PM

I'm installing using Firecore's aTV this weekend.

Any update? Did you have any problems with particular files? Any other problems at all?

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2011, 12:29 PM

Also, just discovered the aTV program is only yet in beta stage - have you run into any problems?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Well I'm going to give this a shot - hopefully this weekend if possible.

How does this affect updating the ATV2? If Apple comes out with a new update, does that cause problems with a "jailbroken" ATV2 or any programs like NitoTV/XBMC/etc.?

greg
I have not run any updates on my ATV2, since XBMC is working just fine, I can watch/play any media files I like, I don't see the need to update.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2011, 11:53 AM

So, I finally got around to jailbreaking the ATV2 (requires you to be plugged into a Mac now apparently), and then installing ATV Flash (black) as Stogieman suggested - a final 1.0 version just came out last week.

Wow. This is seriously freakin' amazing - in fact this is pretty much what I was hoping I could do with the thing in the first place. I'm sure I'll run into some glitches, but last night I was sitting on the couch surfing the internet (the browser is surprisingly useful to quickly check a page once you Bookmark some standard pages), then played a 720p movie I had downloaded onto the iMac. And plus, it looks like if we had an iPad we could control it directly from that - I wonder if it would be much easier than using the remote, at least to type?

Anyways, fantastic stuff. Really cool.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2011, 09:06 AM

Decided to get a present to me from me and ordered an Apple TV this morning, Seas0npass looks easy enough to do, I'm pondering whether the ATV Flash is worth $29, or whether it's possible (and fairly easy) to get the same things on it for free.

The main thing I want to get on is Plex, but the web browser and RSS in Flash looks handy.

Just found ATV Flash on MacUpdate for $22.46 for the next 6 days.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2011, 09:26 AM

Well the best part is it was $19 until version 1.0 was released a couple weeks ago...which incidentally was the same day I decided to go ahead an do this. So I got screwed.

I didn't want to mess around with the research and everything else that would seem to be required with the various other hacks. Watch their Youtube video on how to install SeasOnpass - it's the easiest explanation and you can literally follow along (I did).

This, really, is what I hoped the ATV2 would be when I first purchased it. (Still doesn't play hi-res audio files but oh well I guess.) It's now remarkably full-featured for the $100 I paid.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 AM

$22 is close enough to $19 I'll get stuff ready for when it comes, HDMI cable, download the stuff, and make sure I've got the right USB cable (is micro USB the same as a PS3 controller charge cable?) . When this thing comes, I don't think it will be lasting long as a standard box.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2011, 10:42 AM

I just used my Blackberry cable.

The internet browser isn't speedy, but it's great for loading simple web sites especially if you bookmark them after manually typing them in - I just have some news sites, sports sites etc. so I can visit them quickly. It's very readable and quite a nice little feature.

I haven't installed XBMC or Plex or anything like that as of yet - I've been playing with the Media Player which has worked fine for me so far, although I started getting a buffering problem with a 720p Bellflower movie last night so I'll have to check into that - it's worked fine with 720p Breaking Bad episodes thus far.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 07:11 PM

My Apple TV has arrived, and set up as standard. But the PS3 controller cable isn't Micro USB, it's a bit bigger, so I'll be off to get a cable for a phone to use tomorrow. It's nice enough as it is, with YouTube, radio and podcasts set up.

ibook_steve
Nov 30, 2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
My Apple TV has arrived, and set up as standard. But the PS3 controller cable isn't Micro USB, it's a bit bigger, so I'll be off to get a cable for a phone to use tomorrow. It's nice enough as it is, with YouTube, radio and podcasts set up.
PS3 is mini USB (looks like a wide top hat). The new cell phone standard in Europe is micro USB (thinner, angled corners). See Wikipedia:

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 03:54 PM

Yeah, the various forms of USB cables is just the epitome of stupid ideas.

I find the Youtube fairly annoying - it's slow to search for things. I also find the music player to be a little annoying, because I don't think (or I haven't been able to figure out) one can just scroll through the list of artists without starting at "A" and going down the list. It's actually pretty annoying - on iTunes I can just skip down to Radiohead and start poking around at artists near the end of my music list. I find on the ATV2, I actually play artists near the end of the alphabet much less frequently, as it's a pain to get to them.

Unless I'm missing something...?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 04:09 PM

Yeah, the various forms of USB cables is just the epitome of stupid ideas.
Ah, but it's "UNIVERSAL"!

It's a STANDARD.

YAY!

Just imagine what life would be like if these weren't enforced by a standards consortium—there would be maybe three or four connectors, and where would we be then? Simplicity is for ****ing third-world countries, aight? Fix it with a hammer and all that.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2011, 04:52 PM

I went to the mobile phone section of Tesco on the way home tonight and got a universal phone data cable that had a micro USB adapter in it. Connected and seasonpassed, then back to the tv to put the atv flash on. All done and installed and had a quick play . Good stuff so far.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2011, 10:53 AM

I've run into a few niggling issues - the latest version of ATV2 software must have a "tethered" (USB cable) boot to a computer if you completely remove power. So unplugging the cable or power bar means I have to bring my 27" iMac downstairs to hook up. Also, I've had the interface freeze for 30 seconds or so at a time - that's only happened twice - so when that happens it's best to just stop clicking and let it catch up. Also, I've discovered that the audio can easily go out of sync when playing ripped videos via the built-in Media Player and forwarding/rewinding - generally it's just better to exit and then Resume to get things back in sync.

I've also found that when playing music from the Library, you can introduce artifacts (quick scratching sound, stuttering, etc.) by browsing the internet for example. Not sure if that just maxes out the capability of the ATV2 or not, but I noticed that yesterday - had to play back a few tracks because I wondered where the brief scratching sounds were coming from, and I couldn't reproduce them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2012, 11:34 PM

AAAARRRRGGGGH

Trying to install SeasonPass, but WTF ?

Can't even get my ATV in DFU mode. Been trying for 1.5 hours now, using all kinds of different instruction from the web.
What the hell ?

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2012, 02:28 PM

What remote are you using?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2012, 03:39 PM

Silver aluminum that came with the ATV2.

I think the culprit must be my micro-USB cable. That's the only thing I can think of.

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2012, 03:50 PM

Yeah, try a different micro-USB cable and see if that works. I had problems jailbreaking my brother's ATV until I switched cables.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2012, 10:03 AM

I re did mine lastnight to get it up to OS 4.4 from 4.3 because Netflix (just introduced in the UK) didn't show up in the menu. All good again and I have a Netflix now (which looks good for £5.99 a month with a 30 day trial, compared to Lovefilm)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, try a different micro-USB cable and see if that works. I had problems jailbreaking my brother's ATV until I switched cables.
This is bullshit. I bought the exact cable (Belkin) that they recommend at Firecore.

Tried to get DFU mode with all kinds of ways. Still no luck. WTF ?

-t

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2012, 09:39 AM

I've had no problems except once when I did it wrong. I imagine you're also doing it wrong. You have it plugged into your Mac only, with no other cables attached?

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2012, 09:44 AM

There's a youtube channel that has step by step video instructions on what to do. I just followed that and it worked well. Otherwise they have a support forum which I imagine addresses problem issues like yours.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2012, 11:59 AM

I've had no problems except once when I did it wrong. I imagine you're also doing it wrong. You have it plugged into your Mac only, with no other cables attached?
You won't believe how many different things I tried.

1 iMac, 1 MBP, 2 different cables, always directly connected to the Macs, of course using the correct remote.

I tried all kinds of combinations, with power, without power, power first, USB second, vice versa, unplugging power between the steps etc. I followed dozens of different 100% SURE (LOL) ways that were discribed on the web, including Youtube videos.

I still think it must be the cable. What I don't understand is why the cable I have allows to restore the Apple w/o a problem, only the DFU doesn't work.

It's all still a big WTF.

-t

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2012, 06:46 PM

You don't need to use the power cable for the ATV2 while doing the JB over USB.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2012, 09:19 PM

Let me assure you: I have tried plenty without. I was getting desperate.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 15, 2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I still think it must be the cable. What I don't understand is why the cable I have allows to restore the Apple w/o a problem, only the DFU doesn't work.

It's all still a big WTF.

-t
Getting into DFU mode was always a crapshoot for me. I was running Plex for a while, but I eventually went back to an un-jailbroken configuration. If I want to watch Hulu or a ripped video, I use the Mini in the theater, the AppleTV is good enough to do Netflix and iTunes shows in the living room. Unfortunately it's giving me problems even with a clean restoration and no hacks at all - it won't let me watch Parks and Rec or Top Gear via Netflix, but any other Netflix show works without issue.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2012, 04:40 PM

Huh. Maybe it is the USB cord? I just use my Blackberry one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2012, 04:58 PM

Huh. Maybe it is the USB cord? I just use my Blackberry one.
That's my only guess. I have tried two, I guess I have to keep buying these stupid USB cables until I hit the jackpot. How the hell can a stupid USB cable be the source of issues like that ?

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 17, 2012, 12:41 AM

I just use my Blackberry one.
Me too. I also have the one that came with my other phone, some LG flip thing.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 11:31 AM

Latest Firecore update seems to add even more features. Now for example the browser keeps favourite sites at the top of the screen (like Netflix or music etc.) - makes it super-easy to access just a few sites now and again, which is probably what you're only going to be doing with this sort of thing anyway. Last night I watched a ripped 720p copy of The Ides of March straight from my computer and it looked pretty great.

Makes me feel positive about something like the Mini eventually becoming an entire home theatre system. If you can integrate the ATV2's layout and jailbroken capabilities with a more-powerful remote and/or features along with the hub being a decently powerful computer with built-in storage...and sell it for $500 instead of $119? You've got a shockingly amazing HT all-in-one HT solution right there - and those looking for physical media can add a $120 Blu-ray player to plug the BR/DVD hole.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2012, 10:05 PM

Ok, I tried another cable. The cheapest I could find. It worked. Woot!

Hulu on ATV is really great , it even skips the commercials.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules