Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro - OSX Bug on MBP? Screen flickers on login, asks for password twice.

MacBook Pro - OSX Bug on MBP? Screen flickers on login, asks for password twice.
mike518
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 04:23 AM

*I didn't want to put this in the OS X Software discussion because it also used to happen with 10.4, and I also think it might be an issue limited to MBP's*

For some reason, not every time, but rather often, after typing in my password and clicking "OK" on the login screen (after opening the lid on my MBP to resume it from sleep), then screen will sort of "flicker", turn black, and then the login screen will reappear and I will have to type in my password again, click "OK", and then I will be logged in.

It doesn't always happen like that - sometimes the screen will flicker and then stay black after initially typing in my password. It won't respond to anything, and I'll have to close the lid, wait for the light to indicate it is sleeping, and then open the lid, type the password and then I'll be logged in fine.

I wouldn't say that this has been an issue since I first bought it (14 months ago), but I would say that it has been happening for so long now that I cannot remember when it first started. Perhaps, for 9 months now. Does anyone else have this issue or know what's causing it? Is it something I did, or is it something everyone experiences?

EDIT: Would it help if I took a video of it so you could see?

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 06:23 AM

You're not the only one, I've seen it too.

It's safe to say that in 10.4 and 10.5, any combination of power management changes, use of clamshell mode, use of external displays, questionable drivers, and changing work configurations in general are still buggy with MacBook Pros. Dig around the various mac forums and you should see similar issues.

I've personally seen this on iBook G4's, Santa Rosa and Penryn MacBook Pros.
F = ma

mike518  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks very much for your reply - it's comforting to know it's not only my computer lol. I tried searching google but didn't really come up with anything of relevance but I'll search the forums just out of curiosity.

SpencerLavery
Apr 15, 2008, 06:06 PM

I've experienced the same thing with my MacBook, which I regularly use with an external display. I think that must be the problem.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

shrugs*
Apr 16, 2008, 12:49 PM

I've experienced this maybe a dozen times since I purchased my Macbook in December. I'd say about 10 of the dozen were caused from a combination of switching between usb keyboard and unplugging an external monitor.

The reaction is similar to multiple erroneous password attempts... maybe they're related some how?
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Forum Links
Forum Rules