Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Discovery: Deadliest Catch

Discovery: Deadliest Catch
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2008, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure why I enjoy this show, I've never watched it before. I don't even like fishing.

They are showing several episodes this weekend.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 05:22 PM

Yeah ive seen quite a few of them too... looks to me (a) hard work (b) way too cold!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 05:36 PM

I'm actually watching this right now, these guys take a big risk for a big reward, its some insane work for sure. and i must concur it looks like hard work and way too cold/wet

Railroader
Banned
Apr 13, 2008, 07:38 PM

It's very well filmed and captures some amazing footage. Mike Rowe is a great narrator.

The "making of" episodes were cool as well. I had no idea what went into making the show and they demonstrated that filming it is just about as dangerous as actually doing it.

On a related note (somewhat), Axmen on the history channel is lame though.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
It's very well filmed and captures some amazing footage. Mike Rowe is a great narrator.

The "making of" episodes were cool as well. I had no idea what went into making the show and they demonstrated that filming it is just about as dangerous as actually doing it.

On a related note (somewhat), Axmen on the history channel is lame though.
It only took 3 minutes of Axmen for me to realize I was NOT interested.

There's something about being out on the ocean that makes Deadliest Catch interesting.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 10:50 PM

I am drawn to this show as well, it's one of the few things I'll watch on TV. It helps that I love to fish though

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2008, 11:03 PM

Back in my mid 20's, I could have done it, with one exception. I don't think I'd last 20 minutes in those waves. Those boats are constantly moving up and down, not just a little bit but a bunch. I'm not sure, anyone got an idea how much.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 01:05 AM

"Crab Fishing . . . so easy even a cave man can do it"

hahahahaha

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 04:10 AM

I've been a big of this show since it came on. I'm looking forward to the next season which states up Tuesday

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 07:39 AM

Likewise.

I remember someone telling me about Alaskan crab fishing about 15 years ago, said he had done it for a few seasons.

Not something you see discussed on the show, but he mentioned how everyone was on crank.

Makes perfect sense now.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Back in my mid 20's, I could have done it, with one exception. I don't think I'd last 20 minutes in those waves. Those boats are constantly moving up and down, not just a little bit but a bunch. I'm not sure, anyone got an idea how much.
I have a feeling about how much. I've been on a surfaced submarine, in the Norwegian Sea, in March. Let me tell you, that's not fun the first time. I thought the boat was going to snap in half. I'm sure those crab boats like the Maverick do the same thing. Great show, btw.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I don't think I'd last 20 minutes in those waves.

I love when they have a shot of some random item, like a pot of water or a coat hanging on a hook, and how it will swing through almost 90º.

Did you see the second season?

Someone (not on one of the main boats) loses it, and starts to put on a safety suit and threaten to jump in the water. You hear about it over the radio. The captain grumpily takes him back to harbor and the production team puts a small crew on the boat to interview the captain as they head back out to sea.

They're interviewing him at the helm when a wave flips the boat over.

They get downstairs where everyone was sleeping, and are now standing on the walls. As the captain makes sure everyone is alright, another wave flips the boat back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 08:07 AM

Another brilliant touch is how they bleep out language with horns and engine noise. Half the time you don't even realize it.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 09:08 AM

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 09:38 AM

I've been watching the show off and on for a while now (probably a year if not more). It's a compelling show, both because of the danger, and from a "This is how its done" standpoint.

Personally, I find the entire affair ludicrous on a few levels. The fact that people like eating crab so much we get people to do this, the fact that people actually do this, and considering the ridiculous paydays the fact that people that have done it for decades keep doing it.

But seriously, I can't believe the lengths we have people go to for a freakin' crab.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 10:18 AM

You wouldn't believe the ridiculous lengths that people go through to get rid of crabs.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 10:19 AM

We don't need to hear your life story.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 10:21 AM

They weren't my crabs. I won't go near the things, Alaskan or microscopic.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 10:28 AM

"We are the crabs,
Your pubes we will grab,

We wait on bed sheets,
and toilet seats,
and pinch your nuts with our feet,

We are the crabs!"

mindwaves
Apr 14, 2008, 10:35 AM

Agreed. This show is actually pretty good IMO. Much better than Axe Men.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Agreed. This show is actually pretty good IMO. Much better than Axe Men.
Is that the show where they spray themselves with Axe body spray? Or you mean Ax Men?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Personally, I find the entire affair ludicrous on a few levels. The fact that people like eating crab so much we get people to do this, the fact that people actually do this, and considering the ridiculous paydays the fact that people that have done it for decades keep doing it.

But seriously, I can't believe the lengths we have people go to for a freakin' crab.
Alaska king crab is so damn good!! The wife and I always end up at the store getting ourselves a few legs after watching the series on tv. Watching the show makes it perfectly clear why we pay so much for the stuff.

It's interesting for me watching the show because we get to hear about anything "exciting" that happens as it happens in the news, so we sorta know what the season will bring to the table.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Apr 15, 2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Yeah ive seen quite a few of them too... looks to me (a) hard work (b) way too cold!!!!
I would definitely agree! I love the show and I enjoy watching it every time it is on. That and Dirty Jobs. I could never work that job. I could maybe keep up with half the work, but I'd be a complete bitch when it comes to the cold ass weather. I am a man who hates cold weather.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Alaska king crab is so damn good!!
There's a million other ridiculous things we also do on this earth, but for some reason this really sticks out as one of the most ludicrous.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
It's interesting for me watching the show because we get to hear about anything "exciting" that happens as it happens in the news, so we sorta know what the season will bring to the table.

This season is about nothing other than bringing CRAB to the table. [insert groan here]

Seriously though, that commercial ship that sunk made national news, we got a a slight bit of what you feel in terms of "pre-show" news.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 12:32 PM

There's a million other ridiculous things we also do on this earth, but for some reason this really sticks out as one of the most ludicrous.

I think it's just as ludicrous how much they seem to enjoy it.

It reminds me of a comic I read where some angels come down to rearrange hell, and declare to its inhabitants that their suffering and torment is over.

The last panel was some wolf/praying mantis abomination whispering under its breath "No, you don't understand, we like it this way".

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I think it's just as ludicrous how much they seem to enjoy it.
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. I think I saw an interview with Sig where he says he's still doing it because he just doesn't see what else he should be doing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. I think I saw an interview with Sig where he says he's still doing it because he just doesn't see what else he should be doing.

Well, he'd have to find something that he's just as good at, otherwise I don't think people would tolerate him.

He's such an asshole.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2008, 10:15 PM

Well, I spent the evening working
so I missed the show. At least with cable, it will be rerun a number of times but still I was looking forward to the show. Instead, at 6:00pm, I get an email and a phone call telling me I need to work tonight. I had to bang out a script for the servers to handle certain files by a timestamp. It was a fun project but not at 8:00 - 10:00pm

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 02:10 AM

I think Deadliest Catch was on again tonight. I had it on Tivo.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 01:37 PM

Hmmm, surprise, surprise.
NYTimes: 'Deadliest Catch' Caught In Fishy Editing

Mammoth waves smash an Alaskan crab fishing boat called the Wizard, sending large swells crashing over its deck. Inside, alarmed crew members discover that their stateroom is flooding with incoming seawater.

The sequence suggests that the fishermen are in danger of sinking as a violent tempest tosses huge waves against the boat.

But here's the not-so-deadliest catch:

The boat flooded in September.

The huge storm waves were from October.

And a producer may have filmed extra footage to help stitch the two events together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules