Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Web Development platform for Xserve?

Web Development platform for Xserve?
badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 08:56 PM

I'm having a major pickle ...........

I'm trying to implement a web development platform on our Xserve here at work that will somewhat mirror the same modules/versions (PHP, MySQL, Apache) as our webhost does for compatibility.

I'm not 100% sure where I should start in implementing this? Are there any good tutorials online in how to implement this? Or maybe get me headed in the right direction?

Eventually, we would like to add a versioning system to it also (subversion) .....

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by badtz View Post
I'm having a major pickle ...........

I'm trying to implement a web development platform on our Xserve here at work that will somewhat mirror the same modules/versions (PHP, MySQL, Apache) as our webhost does for compatibility.

I'm not 100% sure where I should start in implementing this? Are there any good tutorials online in how to implement this? Or maybe get me headed in the right direction?

Eventually, we would like to add a versioning system to it also (subversion) .....

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

I would use MacPorts or Fink (my vote would be MacPorts) and become comfortable with contributing to the project for when you need to write ports for versions not available - not too hard to do.

The problem with using SVN or CVS for this purpose is that when you check out a project, the permissions are set to be owned by you. Therefore, it's not really a deployment tool, mostly just an organization system for working on source code (not binaries).

It's unfortunate that MacPorts and Fink are not nearly as mature as package management on other Linux/Unix OSes. This is one of the reasons why I have a hard time recommending OS X as a production web server (I have several other reasons too).

Hope this helps.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 04:24 PM

Using MacPorts .... is it easy to separate out the various versions of PHP/MYSQL from the default OS X installations?

I'm trying to separate them to test with the versions we use on our live server, and keep testing separate from the versions OS X uses .....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

Using MacPorts .... is it easy to separate out the various versions of PHP/MYSQL from the default OS X installations?

I'm trying to separate them to test with the versions we use on our live server, and keep testing separate from the versions OS X uses .....

I think you've asked the right person that question, as I've actually spent a lot of time trying to do just that. I even wrote up a guide in my wiki, although it is a little outdated:

Build server with DarwinPorts - NetMusician Wiki

My findings is that it is very easy to replace Apple's installed parts with the MacPorts parts (i.e. stock copies of this infrastructure built from source directly from the maintainers), but a pain in the ass to have these work along-side of Apple's parts so that you can continue to use Apple's GUIs to configure things.

In OS X Client, this is virtually a non-issue, as doing a "sudo apachectl graceful" is just as easy as stopping and starting the web server in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. In OS X Server, you'd give up the Server Admin Apache config stuff. I'm actually okay with that too, since the Apache config is not so great, and missing many supported options. Since I know Apache's configuration file really well, I don't mind maintaining the httpd.conf config file myself in a text editor. It's good to learn.

The other downside in replacing Apple's installed components (other than the Server Admin stuff) is the loss of the HFS case insensitivity module, and the Bonjour modules. I don't really care about either, and I actually think that web developers should get into the habit of being conscious about case-sensitivity anyway, as any other Unix server would be case-sensitive. There might be an Apache module you can install that will restore that case insensitivity, I've never looked into this.

All MacPorts components get installed into /opt, all Fink installed software gets installed into /sw. You will have an entirely independent sandbox for testing stuff by having everything installed into /opt, which will in no way affect anything that Apple has installed.

I would suggest replacing all of Apple's installed parts with your own, and simply ignoring Apple's stuff. If you want to integrate Apple's stuff with MacPorts or Fink installs, it is possible, just tougher and involves more steps in symbolic link creation.

Does this help?

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 03:53 PM

that definitely helps!!!!!!! I will look into your Wiki

Thanks so far! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 03:57 PM

that definitely helps!!!!!!! I will look into your Wiki

Thanks so far! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

I'm not sure the instructions on my Wiki still work exactly is, but the basic strategy should still be sound with possibly a tweak or two. Perhaps we can work together to update the page?

Forum Links
Forum Rules