Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stan Lee's First Gay Superhero

Stan Lee's First Gay Superhero
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 12:40 PM

From The Scottish Sun: SPIDER-MAN creator Stan Lee is to unveil the world’s first gay superhero.

High school basketball star Thom Creed hides his developing superpowers along with his sexuality.

Former Marvel Comics boss Stan, 86 — who also created the Hulk and the X-Men — will unleash the character in an hour-long TV drama being shot in the US.

TV execs hope it will rival the huge success of shows likes Heroes.

Lee developed the idea of a gay character from the award-winning novel Hero by Perry Moore.

A TV insider said: “It was only a matter of time before we had our first gay superhero. And if there is one man who can make him a success it is Stan Lee.

“There’s a real buzz among comic book fans.”
Are you tuning in? Do you really think it has the potential to perform as well as Heroes? Stan Lee is actually still alive? How is Thom Creed going to stand out when the entire superhero community is already garishly dressed?

What do you guys think of the possibilities of the project?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2009, 12:48 PM

Oh, he wasn't responsible for the Ambiguously Gay Duo?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
How is Thom Creed going to stand out when the entire superhero community is already garishly dressed?
Ha!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 12:50 PM

But what's his Superpower?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 12:51 PM

Wait. Liberace isn't a superhero?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:00 PM

Liberace > Elton John

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:00 PM

Also, could this be his uncle?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:01 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:02 PM

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:03 PM

I know, I know...I fixed it.

However, this thread is now filled with the most underrated character in The Office.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:04 PM

Seriously, I've seen < 5 episodes of the Office, but I know Creed is the ****ing ****.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:09 PM

How appropriate: Creed and the 60s.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:12 PM

Aren't there already gay superheroes?
Batwoman is lesbian.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 01:17 PM

See, this is what I don't get. Who cares what his sexuality is? I mean, for some characters it works (Superman), but for some it really doesn't matter.

And also, is this necessary?

People are treating homosexuality like it's a fad or something. It's very odd. The producers of the fan-made Star Trek series just added gay characters because they felt they had to make their presence known and show that they're real people, so they blew 6 minutes of footage on them to show they're just like any other couple in love. Not necessary in an old school Star Trek series, and DEFINITELY not the right amount of time to spend on minor characters.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
But what's his Superpower?
Turning you on.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Turning you on.
He's good, but he's no Creed.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Batwoman is lesbian.
That's what I wondered too. Maybe the first gay male superhero?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Batwoman is lesbian.
I thought they were all already gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:25 PM

Seriously, I've seen < 5 episodes of the Office, but I know Creed is the ****ing ****.
The Office is a great show. The more you watch it, the better you understand the characters, the more the jokes make sense.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
The Office is a great show. The more you watch it, the better you understand the characters, the more the jokes make sense.
So true. On the recent episode when Michael had to decide whether to use the budget surplus on new chairs or a new copier and lured the security guard up to get his opinion, just the look that Stanley gave to the camera had me laughing.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
See, this is what I don't get. Who cares what his sexuality is? I mean, for some characters it works (Superman), but for some it really doesn't matter.
Apparently, they think it’ll work for this character …

And also, is this necessary?
Of course not. Neither are any of the other superhero stories or characters.

People are treating homosexuality like it's a fad or something. It's very odd.
It is, in a way, a fad. It’s quite similar to back in the ’60s over here when nudity was made legal in regular films shown in the cinemas. For a while (by which I mean something like a decade), more or less every movie that was made just had to use that and see how far they could push the boundaries before the audience deemed it unacceptable.

Portraying gay lifestyles, love, sex, stories, etc. is still something that’s only relatively recently been de-stigmatised (and still isn’t completely so), so it’s only natural that new films and series are still ‘testing the waters’, so to speak.

The producers of the fan-made Star Trek series just added gay characters because they felt they had to make their presence known and show that they're real people, so they blew 6 minutes of footage on them to show they're just like any other couple in love. Not necessary in an old school Star Trek series, and DEFINITELY not the right amount of time to spend on minor characters.
I don’t watch Star Trek (especially not the fan-made stuff!), but isn’t six minutes rather a normal amount of time to spend on some minor character in some episode?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Nothing against the Office, I just don't watch Network TV.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:35 PM

I don't blame you, Network TV stinks for the most part. The Office, Family Guy, Seinfeld, mb South Park, and ELR are about the only things I watch on network TV.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:36 PM

A pity.

Just because 99% of it sucks, you won't watch one of the two or three good shows?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:40 PM

A pity.

Just because 99% of it sucks, you won't watch one of the two or three good shows?
It's not worth the hassle. I don't care for any show that airs before 10 PM, and since it has a story arc, I don't much care to tie myself down to more than a couple shows.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 01:49 PM

Hulu

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Hulu
I'm well aware, I don't much care for watching TV on a computer, either.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jan 14, 2009, 01:57 PM

Liberace > Elton John
You take that back!
are you lightfooted?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN

Oh, I know.

I'm hoping The Office won't go the way of Gilmore Girls, where they quit having plots about all the "smaller" characters and just focus on the main characters (in this case, Jim/Pam, Dwight, and Michael).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I don’t watch Star Trek (especially not the fan-made stuff!), but isn’t six minutes rather a normal amount of time to spend on some minor character in some episode?
Never. First off, Shatner and Nimoy would never, EVER allow six minutes to minor characters. You might get away with it with Next Gen, but definitely not with the original show.

I dunno, it seems to me that people are inserting gay characters because it's the cool, hip thing to do, NOT because it's essential to the story at all.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2009, 02:10 PM

Maybe they mean first gay live-action superhero? I think the first gay hero in Marvel was Northstar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar. At least he is the first one that comes to mind.

Edit: Wait, this is Stan lee's first gay superhero.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I dunno, it seems to me that people are inserting gay characters because it's the cool, hip thing to do, NOT because it's essential to the story at all.
Looking at it the other way around, why does it have to be essential to the story for a character to be gay?

Unless there’s some kind of romantic and/or sexual relationship involved, the sexuality of people we meet and who fleet through our real lives doesn’t really matter very much—it’s certainly not essential to our life story. So why should it have to be essential to the story of a movie/comic/series/whatever?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 03:14 PM

Looking at it the other way around, why does it have to be essential to the story for a character to be gay?

Unless there’s some kind of romantic and/or sexual relationship involved, the sexuality of people we meet and who fleet through our real lives doesn’t really matter very much—it’s certainly not essential to our life story. So why should it have to be essential to the story of a movie/comic/series/whatever?
Because there are particular advocacy groups for people from all walks of life who have demanded equal time. Consequently, movie producers/writers/etc. overcompensate in order to prove how open-minded they are. That's not a good answer from a storytelling point of view, but it's the truth.

Making sure that people know this Thom Creed guy is gay is another way for Stan Lee to pat himself on the back.

Also, I might be offending 50% of the forum with this one, but what's with Stan Lee and stupid character names? Pepper Potts, Rhodey Rhodes, Happy Hogan...and that's only in Iron Man.

DC > Marvel. At least they know how to name characters without sounding like a character from Blues Clues.
That said, I'm still enjoying the recent Marvel movies.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 03:16 PM

DC > Marvel. At least they know how to name characters without sounding like a character from Blues Clues.
I don't know what you're talking about - naming a character after his or her color is an incredible idea.
Magenta is totally a hottie.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 03:19 PM

I don't know what you're talking about - naming a character after his or her color is an incredible idea.
Magenta is totally a hottie.
In that case, I'd be called Wally B. White (B for "blindingly").
You definitely have a point about Magenta...

Cold Warrior
Jan 14, 2009, 03:28 PM

I think emphasizing any character's sexuality runs the risk of sidetracking the broader story. I stopped watching Bones because of the routine but crudely done sexual humor.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 03:38 PM

Because there are particular advocacy groups for people from all walks of life who have demanded equal time. Consequently, movie producers/writers/etc. overcompensate in order to prove how open-minded they are. That's not a good answer from a storytelling point of view, but it's the truth.
While I agree with this, it’s a different (though related) issue.

My ‘beef’ (if you can call it that) with what Starman said was the implication that making a (minor) character gay has to have some sort of impact or be essential (or at least relevant) to the story. I don’t think it does. If it’s a main character, it’s obviously bound to influence the story to some extent, but then again, most traits of main characters tend to be put there in order to be relevant or essential to the story. For minor characters, though, I don’t think movies should be any different from real life, in that random minor characters could well be gay, without it having any real relevance or impact on the story of the main character.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen it properly carried out. It always seems to have to be made into the main defining feature of those minor characters (which it rarely is in real life), or far too much time ends up being spent on a minor character because of his or her being gay (which also doesn’t happen in real life). If a friend of the main character happens to be on the college football team, it gets randomly mentioned in passing or is implied, and it just sort of ‘sits’ there as a little factoid to give the character a bit of life and depth. If he happens to be gay, though, it has to go and be blown all out of proportion and be his main defining feature, which is ridiculous.

Anyways, this is pretty much off-topic. I don’t watch or care a ha’p’orth about cartoons and superheroes in general (though I do like Heroes), so I’m mostly talking about regular movies and series here.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 03:39 PM

They are so far behind. Seems everyone forgot about Northstar.

Edit: Yeah, what Mallymal said.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 03:45 PM

It always seems to have to be made into the main defining feature of those minor characters (which it rarely is in real life), or far too much time ends up being spent on a minor character because of his or her being gay (which also doesn’t happen in real life). If a friend of the main character happens to be on the college football team, it gets randomly mentioned in passing or is implied, and it just sort of ‘sits’ there as a little factoid to give the character a bit of life and depth. If he happens to be gay, though, it has to go and be blown all out of proportion and be his main defining feature, which is ridiculous.
For proof of the contrary, see "Salty."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 04:02 PM

For proof of the contrary, see "Salty."
I believe that’s twice in two days you’ve now made me . Good work.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:13 PM

My ‘beef’ (if you can call it that) with what Starman said was the implication that making a (minor) character gay has to have some sort of impact or be essential (or at least relevant) to the story. I don’t think it does. If it’s a main character, it’s obviously bound to influence the story to some extent, but then again, most traits of main characters tend to be put there in order to be relevant or essential to the story. For minor characters, though, I don’t think movies should be any different from real life, in that random minor characters could well be gay, without it having any real relevance or impact on the story of the main character.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen it properly carried out. It always seems to have to be made into the main defining feature of those minor characters (which it rarely is in real life), or far too much time ends up being spent on a minor character because of his or her being gay (which also doesn’t happen in real life). If a friend of the main character happens to be on the college football team, it gets randomly mentioned in passing or is implied, and it just sort of ‘sits’ there as a little factoid to give the character a bit of life and depth. If he happens to be gay, though, it has to go and be blown all out of proportion and be his main defining feature, which is ridiculous.
That's the whole point. Their character can't just happen to be gay; they have to be repeatedly pointed out as "the gay character" so that those involved in the project can point to it and say, "SEE? GAY! We believe in diversity here at (fill in the name of a studio or network)!"

I think a good exception (perhaps) would be Oscar from The Office. They don't constantly point out that he's gay. He also doesn't fit many of the stereotypes. Even the characters in the story (except Michael, of course) almost never mention his sexuality unless the scene calls for it.

I swear, if they promo this superhero series with a commercial that basically focuses on saying, "He has superpowers...and he's GAY!" then the whole thing will likely flop.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:19 PM

I think a good exception (perhaps) would be Oscar from The Office. They don't constantly point out that he's gay. He also doesn't fit many of the stereotypes. Even the characters in the story (except Michael, of course) almost never mention his sexuality unless the scene calls for it.
But he's not dressed in women's clothing...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 04:20 PM

My turn to piss off half the forum, I think, but I can’t abide The Office, so I wouldn’t know about that one.

David in Six Feet Under is the best I can think of, and that’s not saying much.

I swear, if they promo this superhero series with a commercial that basically focuses on saying, "He has superpowers...and he's GAY!" then the whole thing will likely flop.
Yup. And they probably will.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:21 PM

But he's not dressed in women's clothing...
That got a real-life LOL, not just a smiley.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:22 PM

My turn to piss off half the forum, I think, but I can’t abide The Office, so I wouldn’t know about that one.

David in Six Feet Under is the best I can think of, and that’s not saying much.
I've never seen Six Feet Under. Wasn't he the same guy that plays Dexter, or am I mistaken on that one?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yup, that’s the one.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:32 PM

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:34 PM

A horrible, horrible question popped into my mind after seeing that last post...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 04:38 PM

Ok, here's another example:

BSG spoiler:

So again, here's a character made to be gay for what? Just so the producers can give themselves an "attaboy"?

B5 had a character that was gay and it worked because it didn't feel forced...like "HERE'S OUR GAY CHARACTER".

I don't care if people are gay or not, it's just not my thing. I also don't pick my nose, but some do, but that doesn't mean we need producers showing nose-picking people on TV just 'cuz. That's what bothers me about this "first gay superhero" thing. It doesn't seem to exist except to service Marvel and make themselves feel better about themselves.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 04:39 PM

Batman did. And he enjoyed it, by the look on his face.

Forum Links
Forum Rules