Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 6)
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 01:57 PM

I await the fatty impressions

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 01:58 PM

"Not enough food."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 02:44 PM

Before I head into another work meeting I wanted to post some thoughts I had on Reach.

- Love the layout of the multiplayer screen. All your friends are listed on the right side. With just a quick glance you can see what game type they're playing (slayer, firefight, campaign, etc.). Selecting their name gives you more details like how much time is left in the match, the current score, etc. This information refreshes automatically every 20 secs. Pressing the X button will put you in a matchmaking queue. You are automatically placed in their lobby when a spot opens up. This is pretty cool. Wish MW2 had this feature.

- The jumping has been toned down quite a bit. You can't jump as high or get as much hang time like in Halo 3.

- Assassinations take way too long. I miss the instant death punch from behind.

- The spawning system still sucks!!! This isn't limited to just multiplayer. It sucks in campaign as well. I can't tell you how many times I instantly died because the system re-spawned me next to an Elite (on Legendary).

- It feels like they toned down the damage of the BR rifle.

- I don't like how the new warthog handles in this game. It feels too light. The damn thing slides and drifts everywhere and it takes off on the smallest jumps. (Dukes of Hazard style.)

- As my brother mentioned earlier, the Elites are no joke in this game. I know we were playing on Legendary difficulty but holy s#!t they're tough.

- The space battles are awesome. If you loved Star Wars Rouge Squadron, you will love this level.

- I'm enjoying the campaign much more than the previous Halo games. There are no stupid Cortana interruptions or excessive backtracking. The pace of the story is near perfect.

Quote of the night:
"We're getting our asses handed to us," was the first thing I heard as I entered the multiplayer lobby with Euthyphro & Subie.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2010, 02:46 PM

Hur hur...

Hopped directly into Team Slayer and played two matches. One loss, one win and a k/d of 8/8 and 9/9 respectively. Initial thoughts are as follows.

- Gravity/Jumping has been retooled entirely. You no longer feel like you are floating, or that the Spartan springs off the ground effortlessly and lands as light as a feather. You feel the effort of jumping and landing through subtle head bob and rumble. Not sure if the 'hang-time' is the same, but with the added tweaks to take-off and landing it certainly feels heavier, that is, the Spartan actual feels to be fighting gravity to jump as high as he can.

- The BR has been nerfed, but remains a potent tool for medium-long range, no longer it is suitable for closer encounters. It is now a single shot gun with a rate of fire similar to that of the pistol. My first kill in Reach was with the new BR, second was with the sniper.

- Jetpack has more 'lag' than expected. If you are falling it will take a second of boost until you start gaining altitude.

- Sprint is my loadout until I am convinced otherwise. Finally I can snipe somebody and make a hasty retreat.

- The HUD icon for special ability recharge is nice and prominent but not in the way. Never was I confused about how much special ability I was using or had left.

- Available control schemes leave something to be desired. Closest to what I want is default so I had better get used to RB as melee. How damn hard is it to let me customize all controls to my liking? Orange Box did it across 5 games.

- Armor customization menu hurts my brain, I can't see it being as integral part of the overall package like the unlockables in MW2. I guess I'll need to spend those points somewhere though.

- I keep getting tricked by the hologram spartan loadout, I'll have to try it. Only ones I've toyed with are the first two I mentioned.

...and finally, i haz Recon (and so does anyone else who pre-ordered)

In a nutshell. Easy to pick up for somebody who is well versed in the Halo world with enough tweaks that it doesn't immediately resemble H3.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 02:55 PM

That hologram ability drives me crazy, I chased multiple enemies with the sword only to find out it was a hologram and then it's "owner" killed me from behind. F***ers

Im with fatty, I'm all about the sprint ability but I'm going to give each a chance

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 02:59 PM

I got fooled by a guy pretending to be a hologram. He would have killed me if my teammate hadn't intervened.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2010, 03:04 PM

Ha! That's a good idea.

BTW, second game was snipers and I managed to get 5 headshots. The sniper is largely unchanged since H2, with the only new difference being the aiming reticule grows after a shot and calms back down. Making for slightly more time you have to take in between shots.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 03:09 PM

I think the armor abilities are a good addition, once some of the novelty wears off they will find there place and IMO are much better than bubble shields and energy drains

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2010, 03:14 PM

I loved Bubble Shields...

<sniff>

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 03:23 PM

Hay Fatty, we should play a game of SWAT tonight to if they fixed the Elite glitch that plagued Halo 3.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

<sniff>
Floating bubble shield via man cannon is one of the funniest things I've seen in Halo 3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
B- I don't like how the new warthog handles in this game. It feels too light. The damn thing slides and drifts everywhere and it takes off on the smallest jumps. (Dukes of Hazard style.)
Again, that's worrisome. One of the annoying things I noticed when playing with Fatty Monday was the stupid thing would slide out from under you if someone was shooting it with a BR. Unacceptable. Problem is, fragile as they were they still could dominate, and this might be an attempt at more balancing.

- The BR has been nerfed, but remains a potent tool for medium-long range, no longer it is suitable for closer encounters. It is now a single shot gun with a rate of fire similar to that of the pistol..
The videos reminded me of a FAL with a limited fire rate.

<sniff>
I swear I noticed a radar jammer in use in a video I watched, which was surprising since they patched that out of 3 within a few months of launch.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 03:30 PM

Actually the radar jammer happens when you use the active camo armor ability , basically the downside to camo is your scrambling your radar and any suspecting enemies know your around

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 03:33 PM

Good trade-off.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2010, 04:39 PM

Must..resist...oh, bought. Won't be playing till my couch arrives, mostly because I can't stand sitting on the floor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 04:41 PM

Let their voices be unheard: Halo: Reach has an auto-mute feature | Joystiq
Bungie's Tyson Green (using the pseudonym "Ferrex") recently informed Ars Technica that Reach has a rather democratic auto-mute feature, which "notices, warns, and eventually defaults players to being muted when they enter games, if they are muted by enough people over a period of time."
Oh gawd yes

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 04:45 PM

Thank you bungie

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 04:51 PM

Oh hell yes!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2010, 04:52 PM

Freakin' awesome.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Freakin' awesome.
C-c-c-ombo breaker

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Install the game, kiddos:

Halo: Reach load comparison, Installed vs Not installed - National video game | Examiner.com
Installed: Initial Load Screen to the appearance of Microsoft Game Studios Logo: 10.3 seconds.
Not Installed: Initial Load Screen to the appearance of Microsoft Game Studios Logo: 12.0 seconds.

Installed: Opening Mission: 8.1 seconds.
Not Installed: Opening Mission: 21.4 seconds.

Installed: Firefight: 21.6 seconds.
Not Installed: Firefight: 45.1 seconds.

Installed: Custom Game Load: 9.7 seconds.
Not Installed: Custom Game Load: 28.7 seconds.
Wow, that's a huge difference. This will be the first thing I do when I get home.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 05:21 PM

Again, that's worrisome. One of the annoying things I noticed when playing with Fatty Monday was the stupid thing would slide out from under you if someone was shooting it with a BR. Unacceptable. Problem is, fragile as they were they still could dominate, and this might be an attempt at more balancing.
Oh did I mention that the Warthog turret can now overheat (Gears of War 2 style).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 05:36 PM

Oh you bastard.

That leaves me wondering, with the entire bungie team officially working on their Activision project, is Reach going to receive Modern Warfare-like levels of attention to post-launch balancing? Sounds like they went over-board on the warthogs.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 05:47 PM

I read somewhere that they will doing full support for reach post release, including map packs, so I'm hoping that means they are committed to all aspects of updating

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2010, 05:48 PM

Wow, penny arcade nails it again:

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 06:06 PM

Hahaha... my brother should get a kick out that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2010, 06:50 PM

Hahah, that's rich.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2010, 09:38 PM

I love it... they must be reading the posts in the Halo threads here...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2010, 09:41 PM

Oh did I mention that the Warthog turret can now overheat (Gears of War 2 style).
Oh come on, that's stupid... you have natural air conditioning for that thing!
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:25 PM

Wow, penny arcade nails it again:
Awesomeness Dakar, awesomeness!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
That hologram ability drives me crazy, I chased multiple enemies with the sword only to find out it was a hologram and then it's "owner" killed me from behind. F***ers
Wouldn't you be able to tell the difference between a hologram and real player when shooting them? Wouldn't the real player's shields light up since he's taking damage and since you're shooting at a hologram, nothing should happen right?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:35 PM

- Love the layout of the multiplayer screen. All your friends are listed on the right side. With just a quick glance you can see what game type they're playing (slayer, firefight, campaign, etc.). Selecting their name gives you more details like how much time is left in the match, the current score, etc. This information refreshes automatically every 20 secs. Pressing the X button will put you in a matchmaking queue. You are automatically placed in their lobby when a spot opens up. This is pretty cool. Wish MW2 had this feature.
This is by far one of the best additions in Reach! I can't praise Bungie enough for implementing this awesome feature! Very easy and convenient to use. Especially since you really don't have to use the X-box button to bring up the laggy menu.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:39 PM

Speaking of controls, I switched my melée back to B and moved reload to the RB, I could not stand the RB melée and utilizing X for grenade switch Is much more convient (need those stickies)

- Available control schemes leave something to be desired. Closest to what I want is default so I had better get used to RB as melee. How damn hard is it to let me customize all controls to my liking? Orange Box did it across 5 games.
Huh? I'm confused. Can you or can't you customize your controls?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:41 PM

I started my campaign on heroic, I think my legendary playthrough is a long way off
You going solo at it?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 PM

Quintuple post FTW!!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 12:58 AM

Just stopping in before I go to bed to comment on the win-loss thing. It's really bizarre. When I went into BTB tonight I had 8 wins. When I was done I still had 8 wins, but I'm almost positive my rank went up (I was earning xp). Oddly, kavvika joined us, but he never earned any xp (his rank never went up from 0). So confused

Edit: I found the win/loss! will post pix tomorrow
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 16, 2010 at 01:08 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 01:53 AM

Few screen shots to get us started.

Stogie on turret, Fatty riding shotgun, and Dakar popping the wheelie.

Yours truly looking good with the jetpack.

Fun night.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2010, 04:06 AM

ignore.
( Last edited by mattyb; Sep 16, 2010 at 07:39 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2010, 07:27 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 09:17 AM

I declare a ban on photos where we are Elites against our will.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 16, 2010, 09:47 AM

Got disconnected and decided to call it a night, but good times anyway. It was great to have a full team (even though they split us up for some stupid a** reason).

Although we are all VERY rusty, the games fell right where i expected, fatty and ap at the top and dakar and I next up neck and neck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 09:50 AM

Aside from an abortion of a game of SWAT I was crazy good last night compared to Monday. I suppose that implies a CODification the Halo.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2010, 10:08 AM

I only got a few games in last evening. Not enough to really "kick the tires" on Halo:Reach. Some annoyances to me:

- give me a claymore, someone's always sneaking around behind me...
- maybe I'm gettin' old, but I'd like more than 5 sec to pick my loadout, when I don't know what the loadouts are in advance (in MW2 you knew the loadouts in advance).
- why did matchmaking have to put me in a sniper game for the first MP game? I suck with the sniper. (Gonna have to work on it)

I see what someone was saying about the AI. Those gold elites are smart. Luckily the hunters are still big and slow.
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 10:09 AM

I had to work crazy late last night, but I'll be on all night tonight and Saturday evening. Really feeling like running with you guys. I haven't played with anyone on my friends list yet.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Good god, I thought the same thing every time I found a good sniping position. It drove me crazy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 AM

I agree with the loadout menu, I should also be able to pick a new loadout at any time and switch once I die, besides having to wait to die to switch.

My favorite game of the night

Spawned, hopped in the Hornet with Bogues' buddy Mignanelli, and spent the whole match there. Mig went 30-0 and I got 26 wheelmen awards. Score was a MW2-esque 75-19, ouch. I can only imagine the pwnage if I had two gunners instead of one.

Edit, BTW screenshots are going to be annoying as you can only have 6 at a time before having to purge fileshare. That means one to two Fatty-o-Ramas at a time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I had to work crazy late last night, but I'll be on all night tonight and Saturday evening. Really feeling like running with you guys. I haven't played with anyone on my friends list yet.
I'll be on all day/night. Look for the Fatty.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2010, 10:31 AM

Warning, triple-post incoming!

Time to start bragging. After the first night of competition.

1.36K/D
189 Medals
72 headshots

Top 2 best weapons are obvious
DMR - 50%
Sniper - 38%

Brag for our team in general, out of 13 games we already have 2 Steaktaculars.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Given their expansive maps and jumping ability, claymore would be useless.

I agree with the loadout menu, I should also be able to pick a new loadout at any time and switch once I die, besides having to wait to die to switch.
Yes, mostly because there's no killcam to change during, and when I die I'm usually too busy cursing my brains out.

Spawned, hopped in the Hornet with Bogues' buddy Mignanelli, and spent the whole match there. Mig went 30-0 and I got 26 wheelmen awards. Score was a MW2-esque 75-19, ouch. I can only imagine the pwnage if I had two gunners instead of one.
It would have been me, except for some reason the ****ers on spire locked on to me solely for the second game in a row. If you've shot form up there, you now that's a dreadfully hard shot, but the ****ers did it alright.

Edit, BTW screenshots are going to be annoying as you can only have 6 at a time before having to purge fileshare. That means one to two Fatty-o-Ramas at a time.
Weird, didn't 3 allow for 40? Must be them trying to ease the strain on the servers in the launch month.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 10:37 AM

DMR - 50%
The DMR is no worse than the BR. If anything, it's more consistent because the three-burst of the BR meant a shot you fired could partially miss.

---

So what's up with the ranking system? It's based on CR? That is really weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules