Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare for Powerbooks

AppleCare for Powerbooks
bhaggs
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 06:23 PM

My 1 year warranty ran out at the beginning of November 2002. Does anyone know if you can still purchase the protection plan or do you have to do that while you are on your 1 year warranty?

Thanks,
bhaggs
Keep it real, keep it happy, keep it hardcore!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 06:47 PM

I stillthink an insurance policy like "Safeware.com"is better !

Covers much morethanAppleCare!

Theft.cats.dogs,children,drunk friends, jealous PC users,lighting,fire, etc! formuch less. (even includes screen damage!)

Matsu
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 06:57 PM

Applecare is much too expensive on the PB's. For the price Apple charges they ought to include on-site service and next day turn around as well as 24-7 tech phone support for the entire three years. Forget it, there are much better third party options available. Don' just not buy it, send Apple a letter, tell them to get reasonable or get lost.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

yzeater
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 09:09 PM

I'd say get it. I've got it on my Ti500, and they've replaced the cases twice, dvd player twice, lcd screen, lcd bezel and some internal part that cost $300. WELL worth my money

bhaggs  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 09:58 PM

I would like to get it but my question is if I am still eligible since my current warranty has already run out.

bhaggs

iEvolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by bhaggs:
my question is if I am still eligible since my current warranty has already run out.

Don't think so.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2003, 11:15 PM

No, you can't get AppleCare after the original 1-year warranty has run out.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
No, you can't get AppleCare after the original 1-year warranty has run out.
Most Apple dealers will sellittoyoubutthey must perform an inspection certifing it is in goodshape..... for a FEE!

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
Applecare is much too expensive on the PB's.
Not based on their repair charges. I had to send in my 12" PB to have sleep problems fixed. The estimate for the repair if it wasn't under warranty was $310. If you look around, you can find AppleCare for Powerbooks for $300 (Small Dog is one such source).

bhaggs  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 12:02 AM

Ya basically I'm having issues with my powerbook right now and the Apple Store said they could fix it for $310 flat rate. Considering that my warranty just ran out a few months ago I wanted to see if it was possible to pay for the AppleCare (an extra 40 bucks to what it will cost me to fix it anyways) so that if anything does go wrong after this I'll be covered.

I suppose I should have learned after the logicboard got fried only 6 months ago!

I take great care of my Titanium but have come to the conclusion that Apple's hardware cannot withstand the usage which I put on it.

bhaggs

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Most Apple dealers will sellittoyoubutthey must perform an inspection certifing it is in goodshape..... for a FEE!
I don't think this is correct - you have to purchase AppleCare before the standard 1-year warranty expires. The day after it expires is too late. It's not up to the Apple dealers - no matter whom you buy it from, the warranty is through Apple itself.

iBorg

LtKernelPanic
Feb 16, 2003, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
I don't think this is correct - you have to purchase AppleCare before the standard 1-year warranty expires. The day after it expires is too late. It's not up to the Apple dealers - no matter whom you buy it from, the warranty is through Apple itself.

iBorg
Actually Apple used to do that. You took it to an authorized repair center and for like $40 they'd certify your machine as "Properly working" and then sell you Apple Care. I wish they still did it. My pismo's warranty ran out last july and in December my CPU fried. $336 to get fixed. *sigh*

Forum Links
Forum Rules