Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Biggest Hard Drive A G4 933 Will Support

Biggest Hard Drive A G4 933 Will Support
scrod008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 11:24 AM

I have a question for all of you, I need to add a second hard drive to my G4 933 Quicksliver and I would like to know how big of a hard drive my machine will support without adding a new card, and without any performance issues. Also what would be the best drive to buy, I am looking at a Special Edition Western Digital 120 G with the 8 mb of cache. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 12:30 PM

Go with Western Digital, I have never had problems with them. I am pretty sure that the drive you stated will work with no problems. When I upgraded my beige G3 to a 40GB drive, it took it and ran. No special cards or anything! Get the biggest drive you can, you will enjoy it!

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 01:00 PM

The WD 120GB drive will work beautifully because it still fits under the 137GB limit that many macs possess.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2004, 02:18 PM

The QuickSilver 2002 (800, 933, DP 1GHz) series has a 48bit IDE controller. So regardless of the fact that the ATA is spec'd as ATA/66, your machine can handle drives up into the 250GB range, unlike the first QuickSilver line.

Schwing.

-----

I would also avoid Western Digital. Their SE drives are overrated, especially since every other manufacturer has introduced 8MB cache drives. I personally dislike Western Digital because they make the loudest hard drivs on the planet, IDE or SCSI. I'd recommend a nice 8MB Seagate. The Barracudas are whisper quiet, just as fast as the Western Digital SEs, and Seagate has a far better reputation for quality manufacturing than Western Digital.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
The QuickSilver 2002 (800, 933, DP 1GHz) series has a 48bit IDE controller. So regardless of the fact that the ATA is spec'd as ATA/66, your machine can handle drives up into the 250GB range, unlike the first QuickSilver line.
Wow, thanks for the info. While it doesn't do my DP800 any good, I now know my father can install a larger drive in his 933 w/o a PCI adapter.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2004, 02:48 PM

No problemo. Wasn't something I found out until after I bought my current 933 a month or so ago. It was certainly an added surprise.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:

Schwing.

-----

I would also avoid Western Digital. Their SE drives are overrated, especially since every other manufacturer has introduced 8MB cache drives. I personally dislike Western Digital because they make the loudest hard drivs on the planet, IDE or SCSI. I'd recommend a nice 8MB Seagate. The Barracudas are whisper quiet, just as fast as the Western Digital SEs, and Seagate has a far better reputation for quality manufacturing than Western Digital.
Whoops! My mistake on the drive limit with the Quicksilver. I apologize.

(picking a hard drive is a crapshoot, if there ever was one. In my experience, I've used close to a dozen WD drives through heavy use, all without failure. The noise they generate is negligible.)

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

scrod008  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 05:15 PM

Hey, thanks for all the information everybody, I greatly appreciate it!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules