Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB screen quality issue ?

12" PB screen quality issue ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 09:51 AM

Hi. While I am extremely satisfied of my PowerBook 12 1ghz - my best mac ever - I have a question about its screen.

The right and left bottom of the screen (the angles) are whitter than the rest of the screen. I don't dare to speak about white spots but it is just like if the screen had been compressed a little bit on the bottom angles.

It is not too much disturbing but I wonder if someone else has the same thing and should I do something about it ?

I saw this picture on theweb and my brother in law has the same kind of white spots at the bottom of his 15" PB.

Well, it maybe just normal after all. But I didn't see that on the Dell's we have at the office. So what do you think ?
S k y p a t

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 09:59 AM

I got a 12" 1GHz earlier this month, and the screen is perfect. No white spots, even color and light distribution, and no dead pixels. My wifes 12" iBook, purchased at the same time, had an equally good display.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 10:23 AM

What do I think?

I think that the screens on the 12" PB are somewhat lacking, and that you may have an in famous white spot.

I would also call Apple.

The dodgy screen quality since the Clamshell iBooks and Wallstreets is one thing that keeps me from Apple Laptops at the moment...

Kermy
Mar 26, 2004, 11:18 AM

I actually have those spots on the bottom too, but only viewable from certain angles and usually only when the screen is displaying a dark image. I've ignored it so far, but when I go home for summer to San Francisco I might take it into the Apple store and see what they say.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2004, 02:29 PM

People! Calm down. These are not the famous 15" PB white spots. The backlight, basically a flourescent bulb, in brand new LCD's tend to light up their local areas more. Wait a while (a few weeks or normal use perhaps) and your screen will evenutally be evenly illuminated. Repeat: these are not the white spots!

Steve

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 05:06 PM

Hopefully taking ibook_steve's advice to just let the spots go away after some frequent use will work. The spots definitely aren't normal - and don't exist on my 12" (which has a dark background running on it right now). If the spots remain, you should get the display fixed because it is certainly capable of not looking like that.

The only valid complaint that could be considered a con that I've heard with the 12" display is its level of luminescence. If you sit in front of a CRT monitor or even a different, brighter LCD and then come back to the 12" book, it looks a little bit dull. For me I've noticed this once and awhile (I even tried moving on the trackpad to wake the display up, thinking it had gone to sleep partially), but it's pretty minor.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 05:23 PM

Recently colored the apple icon on the back of my new al 12" pbook. (just slipped a green stage-light gel in it, no damage or modification at all!)

Upon opening the pbook, I found that the whole monitor (lcd) and cable and such off of it are Samsung.

Perhaps Samsung is responsible for certain laptops not having very good screens, not apple. Yes, apple should check them, but still.

I *very faintly* can sometimes greater light in the bottom corners as well. But most of the time it is caused by looking at it with a bad angle.

Probably a combination of apple and samsung trying to fit together parts that don't fit 100% perfectly.
yep.

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Fothb:
Hopefully taking ibook_steve's advice to just let the spots go away after some frequent use will work. The spots definitely aren't normal - and don't exist on my 12" (which has a dark background running on it right now). If the spots remain, you should get the display fixed because it is certainly capable of not looking like that.

The only valid complaint that could be considered a con that I've heard with the 12" display is its level of luminescence. If you sit in front of a CRT monitor or even a different, brighter LCD and then come back to the 12" book, it looks a little bit dull. For me I've noticed this once and awhile (I even tried moving on the trackpad to wake the display up, thinking it had gone to sleep partially), but it's pretty minor.

Powerbook displays are dimmer than desktop because of power requirements. The LCD and backlight are some of the biggest power hogs in the system next to the CPU and GPU. That's why dimming your backlight to one tick above off can give you a significant battery life increase. This is what I always do on the airplane or in a *really* long meeting. If desktop LCD's with their fantastic brightness were used on a Powerbook, your battery would be dead before you knew it.

Steve

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 07:21 PM

I know this is not the famous white spots problems we saw last year on the 15" PB. But did you have a look at the link I gave you ? Click on the PB picture and you will see that the bottom of the screen is not perfect.

I will travel to Sfrancisco soon, I'll show my PB to the genius in the Apple Store
S k y p a t

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Skypat:
I know this is not the famous white spots problems we saw last year on the 15" PB. But did you have a look at the link I gave you ? Click on the PB picture and you will see that the bottom of the screen is not perfect.

I will travel to Sfrancisco soon, I'll show my PB to the genius in the Apple Store
I was actually going to recommend that you visit an Apple store, but when I saw "Belgium" in your description I figured there weren't any close by! Let us know what the genius says...

Kermy
Mar 26, 2004, 08:42 PM

Keep us up to date on this. I think a lot of people have this problem but depending on the choice of backgrounds they usually don't notice it. When it's a solid light color I can easily tell, but I've since switched to another background that makes it not so obvious.

BUT I think Apple will say it's just how the backlight works and won't repair it.

Oh, if you check the Apple.com Support forums for the 15" Powerbook -> Displays section. There's a post called "Uneven illumination." Very interesting read.
( Last edited by Kermy; Mar 26, 2004 at 08:55 PM. )
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by Fothb:

i hate that! it happens when i plug in my external monitor and the colors on the LCD look very pink. i tried calibrating both displays, but i cant get it to work right.
the uneven illumination happens on some computers. I'm not sure what it is but I'm guessing that its from stress on the screen. my old ibook had that happen before i got my new powerbook. when i studied the ibook closely, i saw the frame was bent, making the backlight become slightly warped. have you maxxed out you screen to the point where it stopped by any chance? also, is the frame as close to the lcd at the bottom as it is at the top? if these have occurred, there is a chance that you have bent your frame and backlight.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Dr.Michael
Mar 27, 2004, 02:33 PM

Well, it maybe just normal after all. But I didn't see that on the Dell's we have at the office. So what do you think ?
Hi Skypat,

my Powerbook screen looks exactly like the one on the photo.
I don't think this is serious. Its an uneven illumination that I had in other notebooks before. It never went worse (or better) and it did not shorten the lifetime of the screen or backlight.

Its in my opinion due to the fact that the 12 inch powerbook has a screen with very low quality, too dim, bad viewing angle and thus old technology. I never saw this uneven illumination in high quality notbooks (like my thinkpad).

I would prefer to get higher quality from apple again. Their attempts to build cheaper notebooks results in poor design an low quality components. Elsewhere someone posted that a certified apple tech who is allowed to change the hd without voiding the warranty quoted 80$ for his work. This is ridiculous and definitely not the way to go.

Michael
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 27, 2004 at 02:43 PM. )

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 07:32 PM

Thanks Mike for your comment. I saw the same kind of screen on my brother in law's PB 15.

Aren't PowerBooks supposed to be high end notebooks ... even with a 12" screen ? I agree with you, the quality of the screen is not perfect (viewing angle is bad).
S k y p a t

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 01:21 AM

Thanks Mike for your comment. I saw the same kind of screen on my brother in law's PB 15.

Aren't PowerBooks supposed to be high end notebooks ... even with a 12" screen ? I agree with you, the quality of the screen is not perfect (viewing angle is bad).
i haven't had any trouble with my computer. i have the same model. did you get first gen or second?

btw never get first gen. NEVER!!!

Dr.Michael
Mar 28, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
i haven't had any trouble with my computer. i have the same model. did you get first gen or second?

btw never get first gen. NEVER!!!
I agree, first gen means trouble and more money to spend.

I have the 1GHz, 12 inch DVI.

But they all have the screen that is used since the first 12 inch iBooks came out (at least thats what you suppose if you look at replacement screens. Its the same part for the iBooks and the powerbook - any gen).

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2004, 08:23 AM

The cool thing about both 12" powerbooks AND ibooks is that you can get the same screen, which has gotten sooo cheap over the times, and barely costs $200 on ebay.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Dr.Michael
Mar 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
The cool thing about both 12" powerbooks AND ibooks is that you can get the same screen, which has gotten sooo cheap over the times, and barely costs $200 on ebay.

You are right. See the positive side of things.
Its doubtlessly a great thing. I sold my Pismo because the screen got too dim and replacement was 400$+.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 02:38 PM

yeah, i got apple to replace a broken screen in 2001, and it costed 700!

Forum Links
Forum Rules