Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > how many are waiting to purchase the next revision?

how many are waiting to purchase the next revision?
videian28
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 09:29 AM

I am in the process of trying to offload my dual 1.42 for a new generation, debating getting a refurb dual 1.8 to replace it, but very undecided about waiting for the next revision...when is the next big show in June?

Sealobo
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 09:55 AM

WWDC on the 28th of June.

meawaits.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 10:13 AM

1 month...hmmm..then you figure 1 1/2 months after that to get it...hmmm

tough call

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 10:25 AM

A post like this has been made here a million times.

"I have X, I want Y, but Y++ could come out any day. Should I buy or wait?"

The answers are always:

1) Get Y if you need Y. If not, wait.
2) Wait for Y++ because I'm sure it will have feature Z

You can do whatever you want. But there's no answer to your question. If you can wait, you should. If you cannot wait, then get a new machine now. I'm sure both will be fine choices.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 11:12 AM

I'm waiting. Mostly because i've just clear off the credit cards and the longer it takes for the next revision to come out, the more i'll have saved toward it. I'll be upgrading from a Blue and White G3 350 rev. A. So its been 5 years since I've got a new desktop. I cant wait to play some warcraft 3 on it and burn some stuff to DVD.
daveninja.com

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
1 month...hmmm..then you figure 1 1/2 months after that to get it...hmmm

tough call
Not necessarily,
sometimes the machines were available immediately after the announcement. Usually when there's a major revision is a waiting period.

Mike

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

My guess is that the low- and mid-level models will be available immediately, with the promised 3GHz top-level model sometime by "end of summer". Either that, or they'll all be ready to ship. It's been too long since an update of any sort and they're clearing out G5 inventory. Something new will have to be available at WWDC.

I'm going to buy one - either a reduced-price current model or one of the new ones. I'm really hoping to get into a dual CPU model for under $2k somehow. If the new models have an open second optical bay, I'll go for one of those; if not, I'll get a discounted current model.

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 01:07 PM

Here's a question. Why isn't the dual CPU a BTO option? The motherboard is obviously built for it. (The mobo is the same, right?) Why not let people decide?

Here's the current line up:

LOW: single 1.6GHz, $1800
MID: dual 1.8GHz, $2500
HIGH: dual 2.0GHz, $3000

First of all, I think the entry level model is too pricey. It should be more like $1500. I'm talking marketing here - price points. If they can't make money on the current config, then change the config so you can. I'm just saying the entry level price point should be lower.

How about this as a pricing model for the next release...

LOW: single 2.0GHz, $1500 - add a CPU for $200
MID: single 2.4GHz, $2000 - add a CPU for $300
HIGH: single 3.0GHz, $2500 - add a CPU for $500

Keep the same basic low/mid/high configurations for video card, frontside bus, RAM, and hard drive size (ie, the get better/bigger as you go up the ladder).

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 02:33 PM

I don't think they will every have the option of adding a second cpu...they would rather people purchase a complete new system to get that benefit..

would be nice indeed tho, spend a little now, and upgrade it later

edit: the motherboard is not the same, when the single 1.8 came out, I called and asked that specefic question, that is why I now own a dual 1.42..had the 1.8 been upgradeable to dual, I would have gone that route in a heartbeat

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:31 PM

So, actually, I was saying that you only order it that way from Apple (single or dual). So, from the Apple store, it's a BTO option - NOT an option for a future upgrade.

However, that would certainly be ideal. I would love the option of adding a second CPU at some later point in time. But you're right, Apple wants you to buy an entirely new system... which pisses me off. PCs have been upgradeable for so long now. How can Apple come close to that value proposition if the only upgrade path is an entirely new system?

Let's assume that a good portion of these pro systems are actually used by professionals, ones that work for a company, and it's the company who is in charge of purchasing hardware. How could you justify this to your IT dept (or your manager or whoever)? You can't add a second internal optical drive, you have less space for additional hard drives, fewer expansion slots than most regular-size PC towers, fewer USB ports, no place to put any sort of optical bay face plate thing (extra ports, Zip drive, card reader), and then you tell them that to upgrade the CPU you have to replace the whole system. Oh, wait, and it costs more, too. (I realize there are some after-market CPU upgrades, but not for a second CPU. Plus, Apple seems hostile towards these companies, and I wouldn't count on this always being an option.)

Yes, Macs are better, more stable, easier to use, yadda, yadda, yadda. Those are all way too intangible for the people who normally hold the purse strings. They're extremely important to consider, but impossible to argue for in the presence of a non-technical person (at least in my experience).

Or look at the school system environment. They can purchase $500 Dell systems and upgrade them incrementally for years, put them everywhere. What's the Apple alternative? eMacs and iMacs that are much more expensive, cannot be expanded, and cannot be upgraded (other than RAM and HD).

I buy Macs because I know what all the intangibles are worth and I just like Macs. But how on Earth does Apple expect to convince the non-technical, non-Mac masses? And frankly, if I were on a really tight budget, I would have to consider a PC.

Personally, I think Apple should be giving away iBooks and eMacs to schools at cost - then make some money on services and software. Either that, or they need a dumb-terminal client/server setup that would make the overall cost of 1000 units cheaper than 1000 Dells. Of course, if they did that and were successful, Dell would just come along and copy it for half the cost.

I think you need to follow the model where you get kids hooked on your stuff at an early age, then reap the benefits from a large, loyal consumer base once they grow up and spend their own money.

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:35 PM

[sorry - duplicate post. Replied instead of edited.]

soul searching
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:53 PM

I'm waiting for a 3.0Ghz (or higher) machine, thus not necessarily for the next revision. I am, however, hoping that the next revision brings such a machine.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 04:22 PM

Zoom, the thing is, the resale price of a Mac is fairly good, so upgrading the CPU in a machine is about the same cost as buying a new machine and selling the old. I think that would easily convince the IT dept about buying a new machine. As for the $500 computer, I don't really believe it, after all you get what you pay for. I read an article by a journalist where he went to a couple of websites by Dell and Gateway where they advertise this $500 computer and either the computer didn't exist or it required upgrades that added another couple hundred to the cost of the computer. I wish I'd bookmarked the site.

And... on topic... I too am waiting for the new revision of the PowerMac G5, to buy.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Zoom, the thing is, the resale price of a Mac is fairly good, so upgrading the CPU in a machine is about the same cost as buying a new machine and selling the old. I think that would easily convince the IT dept about buying a new machine.
That's an argument for the average consumer or maybe SOHO user, but not a big company. Big companies don't want the hassle of eBaying old computers, nor do school systems. You're right, though - I plan to sell my G4 and it does have some value, way more than a used PC.

As for the $500 computer, I don't really believe it, after all you get what you pay for. I read an article by a journalist where he went to a couple of websites by Dell and Gateway where they advertise this $500 computer and either the computer didn't exist or it required upgrades that added another couple hundred to the cost of the computer. I wish I'd bookmarked the site.
Actually, I was referring to PC kits. It's easy to piece together a custom Wintel box, a good one, for $500. Places like TigerDirect and others are made for doing this. However, it's not a totally fair comparison because, again, big companies and school systems don't tend to buy PC kits. So let's say $1000 for a Dell system with a service contract. That's still way cheaper than a G5 PM.

Sorry to get so far off topic.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 10:22 PM

I'm definitely waiting. I hope they release 'em before WWDC (yeah, right).

Sealobo
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:18 AM

unless you don't have a computer. you can always wait for the next revision. by the time when you get a newly released computer, it starts getting obsoleted in a geometric fashion. so what does it mean? you should always wait with your old broken computer while it remains functional, since it wouldn't hurt, and the money gets to stay in your pocket.

cwest91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 11:33 AM

I am waiting for the new G5's for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I find the low end G5 is severely crippled in terms of the inability to expand the memory past 4 gigabytes as well as the fact that it is single processor. I am waiting for the upgrades to see what the new bottom line is. If they offer a dual processor G5 expandable to 8GB of memory at around the same price as the current lower end, I'll probably buy. If I don't like the lower end model, I will consider buying a used dual 1.8 or 2.0 that will have dropped in price.

That's just my take....
Chad #91

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 11:51 AM

My Quicksilver DP 1.0 GHz is still fine for me and I don't need a new computer, but I really want one. I'm probably going to give my son the Quicksilver and get a new G5 for myself. He's into gaming and the Quicksilver has performed flawlessly for me, plus he's been in awe of my old machine for a while now. I'm waiting for WWDC to see if the PowerMacs get a speed bump or other upgrade before making a purchase. But it's coming, oh yeah!

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 01:29 PM

I'm probably going to buy the middle or top-end G5 that gets announced at WWDC. I really, really hope that the high end is 3 GHz, even if it doesn't ship for a month or two. I want to have a system which clearly pulls ahead of what AMD and Intel are offering in the majority of benchmarks.

One thing's for sure: whichever system I buy, I'm upgrading the video card to the top-end model. I want something that can blast through 3D apps (mainly games ) without so much as blinking.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 01:52 PM

“Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death._ Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more._ It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 02:22 PM

The fact that Apple hasn't updated the G5s since their release (Aside from Dual 1.8s) is absolutely, entirely, and undoubtably pathetic. This is the technological world, attempting to go nearly a YEAR without updating their flagship desktop is ridiculous. Personally, I got sick of waiting in Jan. and purchased a gaming PC instead and couldn't be happier...I may eye the G5 PowerBooks sometime, but Apple's G5 updates are horribly overdue.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 02:52 PM

I am in the process of trying to offload my dual 1.42 for a new generation, debating getting a refurb dual 1.8 to replace it, but very undecided about waiting for the next revision...when is the next big show in June?
Just wait. 2 x 1.42 G4 is plentyfast (tm) ... wait!

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
The fact that Apple hasn't updated the G5s since their release (Aside from Dual 1.8s) is absolutely, entirely, and undoubtably pathetic. This is the technological world, attempting to go nearly a YEAR without updating their flagship desktop is ridiculous. Personally, I got sick of waiting in Jan. and purchased a gaming PC instead and couldn't be happier...I may eye the G5 PowerBooks sometime, but Apple's G5 updates are horribly overdue.
I personally couldn't agree more, though I will still faithfully wait. I had a little rant on this secrecy topic is a similar thread. It drives me nuts that Jobs is so hung up on these big announcements and refuses to keep his fans informed. Why not give us a general 12-month roadmap (with caveats on hardware availability and such) and let us make informed decisions?

To go this long without an update is pretty lame, but because of their whole secrecy MO, they can't even tell us why there's been no update, which is very lame.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
To go this long without an update is pretty lame, but because of their whole secrecy MO, they can't even tell us why there's been no update, which is very lame.
We know why there's been no update... IBM had trouble with chip manufacture.

Squozen
May 31, 2004, 07:14 PM

I'll be buying one at the end of the year. If it's a dual 3Ghz, great, otherwise I'll be getting whatever's the fastest model when I have the money available.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2004, 09:16 PM

I am waiting for the new G5's for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I find the low end G5 is severely crippled in terms of the inability to expand the memory past 4 gigabytes as well as the fact that it is single processor.
Yes the 1.6 is crippled, but just a nitpick: ALL G5s can handle 8 GB. The duals (with 8 memory slots) can actually handle 16 GB.

Anyways, it'd be strange to buy a 1.6 to run 8 GB. If you needed 8 GB now, obviously you'd be able to afford a dual. If you wanted to run 8 GB in the future, the 1.6 may just be too slow.

Sealobo
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 04:56 AM

hey guys... dual 1.8G is 3.6G... am i right?

Let teh waiting game continues~!

TiDual
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 07:08 AM

With such a decent machine, definitely wait. As the G5s are already out, your machine has already taken the biggest hit depreciation-wise (i.e. it won't lose value once the new G5s appear). You will kick yourself if you compromise now.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:30 AM

well my 1.42 has gotten it's first bid at $1600.. so thinking I will probably get the dual 1.8 and upgrade the video card...but not till after WWDC...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 04:53 PM

After WWDC we will order the midrange machine.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:31 PM

I'm waiting to buy two machines for my office, but it has less to do with speed than price. The 2GHz machines are probably perfectly adequate for our uses for the next few years, but I can't bring myself to spend $3,000 each on computers that might be less than $2,000 within weeks - if not replaced by something even FASTER for less than $2,000.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
hey guys... dual 1.8G is 3.6G... am i right?

Let teh waiting game continues~!
Dual processors does not necessarily double the processing speed. The OS and the programs you are working with must be optimized to even take advantage of the second processor.

In most cases a dual processor system compared with a single processor system of the same speed will be faster and even compared to higher clocked processors, but nowhere near double, just take a look at some of these benchmarks:

http://www.barefeats.com/fcp4.html

http://www.macreviewzone.com/html/re...5-g5-1.6.shtml
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules