Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Serious injury, got some time on my hands

Serious injury, got some time on my hands
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2016, 12:43 PM

I'm athletic, healthy, and young. I have broken my collarbone in a mountain biking accident, slightly fractured my wrist playing frisbee, and I had a pretty bad right ankle sprain 8 years ago in college. But overall I have been pretty bulletproof considering how often I play; basketball is my favorite sport to play, by far.

5 days ago I was playing some pickup basketball at the courts near my building when I went for a save out of bounds. Since the accident, I've been going over it in my head trying to figure out how I did this. The moment I left my feet, it felt like I didn't get enough lift; I think I ended up going further, not higher, reaching for the ball. At least one foot came down on the bottom of the fence and rolled. When I had that bad sprain in college, that was the worst ankle injury I'd had yet. I heard two loud pops and definitely thought it was broken.

This time, I heard just a low thud. I was still standing. I looked down and immediately knew it was bad. My foot was angled extremely outward. The picture is here, for those that want to take a peek.

They needed to set the foot back in place. To do this without going under, they gave me Ketamine. That was probably one of the perks of this accident. The trip was really awesome. Apparently they needed to give me an extra dose because I was commenting on the person turning and fixing my ankle back into place. After that it was "VROOOOOM check ya later!"

Then I needed to go into surgery as I broke both the tibia and fibula. Luckily, I did not break any bones in my foot/ankle which I am pretty happy about. I think I'd rather break two large bones then many small ones.

The surgery was a success and i was in the hospital for a few more days. My parents live in the same city, so I went home to their house and I've been here for about 3 days now. I'm getting a little stir crazy.

I've got coding lessons lined up, a friend stopped by and dropped off some books, I've been downloading some downtempo/instrumental/beats/jazz albums for chilling out and working. I've got my Plex server so I'm pretty good on media. If anyone has any recommendations on media to consume, shout it out! Podcasts are welcome too.

The worst part now is that I've never used painkillers in my life. They gave me a script of Oxycodone; it's going on day 4 and I'm pretty stopped up. Woke up this morning with a poo baby in my belly. I've been able to go a teensy bit, but I think I will shake things up and take some laxatives today.

Anyone been unfortunate enough to share an injury like this? I'm going to be bed ridden for at least two weeks. I should be walking in about 2 months and I should be able to play sports again in 6. They are confident I'll make a full recovery, so I am very happy about that.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 08:51 PM

Damn dude. You really screwed the pooch on that one! As for shows to check out I've been catching up on this sci-fi/thrillier series called Orphan Black. Clones. Corporate/military conspiracy. And a really hot lead actress. I've just binged the first two seasons and really enjoyed them. So if you are into that sort of thing you might want to give it a look see. Be careful with those pain meds and heal up soon.

OAW

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2016, 09:47 PM

That's probably a good show to check out. Scifi/thriller stuff is some good bed-ridden entertainment.

I am thinking about starting season 2 of Twelve Monkeys also, but I don't think I ever finished the last couple episodes of the first season. I remember it tailing off a bit.

You should check out Utopia if you haven't and like the scifi/thriller stuff. I only watched both seasons of that a few weeks ago, but that was a heck of a show.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 10:09 PM

I binged all of Season 1 of 12 Monkeys on Hulu. I liked it. Now I'm trying to decide whether to buy Season 2 on iTunes or wait till it hit Netflix or Hulu later this year. I recently became an official cord cutter so those are my two options.

OAW

mindwaves
Apr 26, 2016, 03:25 AM

This might be a blessing in disguise. Your new or improved coding and inspire you to code the next new app or be helpful in a job interview in the future!

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2016, 09:39 AM

That is what I keep telling myself. Plenty of time to learn a loot of stuff.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2016, 10:37 AM

jesus, that looked bad. glad you're recovering!

If you have netflix, daredevil, longmire, etc.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2016, 12:18 PM

I like Orphan Black too. Outlander is good, The Expanse was excellent. I'm quite enjoying Lucifer.

The 100
Walking Dead/Fear TWD
Brooklyn 99
Silicon Valley
Broad City
Elementary
House of Lies
Grimm
Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl
Gotham
Jack Irish
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
iZombie
Colony
Agent Carter

I watch way too much TV.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2016, 12:19 PM

Nina Forever was an odd film.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2016, 01:06 PM

Opioids are the worst, not only will they back you up something fierce I started building up a tolerance to them almost immediately. Once the pain gets down to more manageable levels I would ditch them in favor of THC, which works pretty damn well with pain and won't turn your colon into a 40 car pile-up.

I broke both my arms about 6 years ago, but seeing the folks in physical therapy with knee and leg problems made me feel pretty lucky.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2016, 01:50 PM

As a person who took Percocet for 5 months, after my ankle break/surgeries last year, only take them when you just can't stand the pain anymore, or to get some sleep. Getting off them after an extended period of frequent usage sucks; withdrawal, night sweats, depression. Better yet, don't even start in the first place, ask them to move you down to hydrocodone, much easier to kick later.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2016, 03:01 PM

After the first month I just couldn't take them anymore. I can't personally see abusing them because they left me with such a bland hollow feeling when I was on them. So much for pot being a gateway drug eh?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2016, 03:26 PM

They just left me feeling really chill and lethargic.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2016, 05:19 PM

I've continued to take 2 pills, but I've been putting more time in between as I think I am able to handle the pain for a bit.

I was taking 2 pills about 4 hours apart, but I'm getting up to 6 hours, still at 2 pills.

@sek929 I'm staying at my parents for a bit, but I hope to test out the pain-management of the green stuff when I get back to my place full time. Hopefully by that time I've weened myself down from the Oxycodone.

I tend to get really sleepy about an hour after I take them and it's somewhat getting in the way of the coding/reading/watching activities I'd like to do while laid up like this. Overall, I just don't see myself enjoying them too much, which I'm pretty sure is a good thing.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2016, 05:24 PM

While I was in the hospital for 3 days (wed-fri) I was basically on a staggered dose of IV dilaudid and 3 pills of oxycodone, getting a dose of either every 2 hours. I definitely think I needed it then as the pain was pretty great. After the setting and surgery, I think I can handle it better.

The dilaudid worked fast, but I felt it wore of quickly. Got very sleepy with that as well. One thing I felt as worked better for me was to take Tylenol in tandem with the oxycodone. Initially I was doing plain oxycodone, but since the addition of tylenol, I've noticed a better result.

Supposedly they can have a synergistic relationship. I'm definitely cautious around painkillers and would like to be confident in weening myself away from them.

I'll take some pictures of the sutures tonight. It's begun to bruise up pretty colorfully, but my girlfriend (who is a nurse) says the sutures and swelling both are looking really good, which eases my mind.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2016, 06:05 PM

What worked well for me was to take a Perc with 2 Aleve. Should be okay as long as you aren't taking any other NSAIDs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2016, 06:59 PM

Install steam, regret installing steam in 6 months.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2016, 09:10 PM

Here are pics from hanging the dressing tonight: https://imgur.com/a/VvixY

GF says the incisions are really, really good and there was only extremely slight leakage on the one side.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Install steam, regret installing steam in 6 months.
ooo, forgot about Steam. I have Bioshock 2 and Infinite, FEZ, and I never did finish Portal 2. Good reminder.

P
Apr 27, 2016, 09:17 AM

Look up some sales and bundles, you can usually pick up older games for cents on the dollar.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2016, 08:48 PM

Boy, oh boy, did you do a great job of goobering your ankle! Bravo! Did they call it a trimalleolar fracture?

The usual therapy advice on pain relief is "rate your pain - if it's at or above X, get meds." For an active young adult, X is usually 6 out of 10. As for "get meds," you want to take whatever gets you to no higher than a 4 out of 10.

The advice about taking Aleve with Percocet isn't bad, and taking it with straight oxycodone should help as well. (Percocet is oxycodone with acetaminaphen (i.e. Tylenol), which are synergistic with each other, and naproxen sodium (Aleve) should be at least somewhat synergistic as well.) Anything that helps you get by with less oxycodone will help in the poo department. You could probably help it along a little with some form of "softener;" ask you doc what he/she recommends for this - it's called "opioid-induced constipation, and it's no fun.

I don't have any time filling suggestions of my own. I don't have enough time for the stuff I have to do, let alone the stuff I want to do.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2016, 08:55 PM

Prune juice, lots of prune juice.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2016, 10:12 PM

I've never needed painkillers for more than occasional one-offs but habit is a way bigger component of addiction than most people realise so I would try to avoid taking them regularly to help you sleep or if you are in pain when you wake. If you take them at regular times or as a response to particular situation or stimulus, thats where you'll run into trouble.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Boy, oh boy, did you do a great job of goobering your ankle! Bravo! Did they call it a trimalleolar fracture?

The usual therapy advice on pain relief is "rate your pain - if it's at or above X, get meds." For an active young adult, X is usually 6 out of 10. As for "get meds," you want to take whatever gets you to no higher than a 4 out of 10.

The advice about taking Aleve with Percocet isn't bad, and taking it with straight oxycodone should help as well. (Percocet is oxycodone with acetaminaphen (i.e. Tylenol), which are synergistic with each other, and naproxen sodium (Aleve) should be at least somewhat synergistic as well.) Anything that helps you get by with less oxycodone will help in the poo department. You could probably help it along a little with some form of "softener;" ask you doc what he/she recommends for this - it's called "opioid-induced constipation, and it's no fun.

I don't have any time filling suggestions of my own. I don't have enough time for the stuff I have to do, let alone the stuff I want to do.
I certainly did do it dirty.

I've finished my initial prescription of 5mg oxycodone, which I have learned is percocet. I got a new prescription and they gave me 5mg hydrocodone+325 acetaminophen, which I guess is vicodin. I am taking stool softeners twice a day and it's doing a fairly good job. I've read vicodin is a bit worse in the poo department though.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2016, 10:24 AM

Depends on the individual, it was easier for me.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2016, 01:54 PM

Can a mod rename this "abbaZaba: the poo chronicles"?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I certainly did do it dirty.

I've finished my initial prescription of 5mg oxycodone, which I have learned is percocet. I got a new prescription and they gave me 5mg hydrocodone+325 acetaminophen, which I guess is vicodin. I am taking stool softeners twice a day and it's doing a fairly good job. I've read vicodin is a bit worse in the poo department though.
Hydrocodone is a bit more "robust" in the opiate effects than oxycodone, so yes, it does act worse in the poo department. Keep up with the softeners, and eat a nicely "bulky" diet (roughage is your friend), and get weaned off the Vicodin gradually. Stopping cold turkey will be amusing to observers, assuming they survive your trying to bite their heads off. It's not "withdrawal," it's "OMFG THIS HURTS SOOOOO MUCH."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2016, 11:32 PM

I know that 10mg of Vicodin barely registers with me (as far as "buzzing" in concerned) while 10mg of Percocet chills me right out, much like smoking opium itself... which I did several times in college. (Usually after finals, to help climb down from all the caffeine and truckstop speed I took while studying.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules