Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad for presentations.. VGA question

iPad for presentations.. VGA question
MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2010, 06:53 PM

Well, I see there's a VGA adapter for the iPad. I was wondering if there was something out there that can make this thing wireless. Like a wireless VGA adapter or something. It would be great to be able to walk around doing a presentation with the iPad+Keynote.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2010, 06:59 PM

I'm sure that there will be an adapter available at some point that will allow for that.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2010, 07:07 PM

I hope so. Currently, for some lectures, I use a lenovo tablet that is wirelessly connected to our epson projector. I have to hardwire connect my MBP for all the other lectures or keynote lectures I do. It would be great to have wireless VGA connect to the base of the iPad, and the other wireless end connect to the the VGA port that normally connects to my MBP. So I can just wander all over the place with the iPad and use the tablet specific functionality of keynote for the iPad. You know, without having to simply just stand only at the front podium (how boring!)
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2010, 07:07 PM

Wireless VGA? I don't see that happening. More than likely, you'll be using the ipad as a controller for a Mac running Keynote.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Wireless VGA? I don't see that happening.
It's certainly possible: Product Review-WMS 100 Image Wireless Projector Adaptor
Of course, that's USB; but is there some sort of technical challenge creating an adapter that would plug into the dock connector in lieu of USB?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 08:31 PM

I doubt we'll see a wireless VGA adapter.

I'd rather bet the iPad would (sometime) support WiFi projectors.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2010, 09:32 PM

Support for Intel's new WiDi standard would be convenient.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 10:03 PM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
It's certainly possible: Product Review-WMS 100 Image Wireless Projector Adaptor
Of course, that's USB; but is there some sort of technical challenge creating an adapter that would plug into the dock connector in lieu of USB?
"Broadcast screen-captured images from any Wi-Fi enabled PC or notebook to multiple SVGA/XVGA projectors incorporating hardware adapters "
WMS 100 Image Wireless Presenting - PLUS Vision Corp.

"Screen-captured images" = no animation or video = PowerPoint quality presentions, not Keynote or iPhoneOS quality.

I don't see the iPad getting wireless video broadcast any time in the next few years without some massive, in both size and power consumption, attachment.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2010, 11:47 PM

Asking for a wireless iPad to VGA wireless device is a little crazy (but mostly expensive).

The iPad isn't everything. Used with a Macbook and Apple Remote apps, you can control keynote wireless from the iPad, touch, or iPhone. You can even see the slides and your notes on it. I've used it for the iPhone. A new iPad version of the program will make it even better.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2010, 04:19 PM

Sigh... Here's to hoping that at least one day, Apple will optimize the remote app for the iPad so we can easily view items off of keynote and control/ use the laser pointer feature from the iPad.
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Forum Links
Forum Rules