Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New iMac 1ghz - should I go with 10.2.4??

New iMac 1ghz - should I go with 10.2.4??
HeyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 04:47 PM

I've had the iMac 1ghz for about 3 weeks now and I love it! Every day I find something new that amazes me.

I'm currently using 10.2.3 and judging from reactions on this site and elsewhere, upgrading to 10.2.4 has been troublesome. Do the benefits outweigh the bugs?

Also, a question regarding the cursor: Often, when I should be getting the arrow, I get a text bar. It works OK, but it seems odd. Anybody else have this problem?

Many thanks!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 05:16 PM

not that Im some definative source on the subject, but I saw no need to upgrade to 10.2.4 from 10.2.3, I'm happy and stable where I am now. If you look over the changes in 10.2.4 and dont see something you really need, and are happy with .3, why change? I've read of too many complications to bother upgrading.

msykes
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 12:45 PM

Yeah, that's a tough question to answer. Personally with my laptop I always upgrade to the new systems whenever they are releases. So far so good (knock on wood!). However, you can certainly make a case for the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it approach."

This is the 10.2.4 page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=70167

My main concern is that there was a Security Update released after 10.2.4 was released. It seems to address an issue with Sendmail (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120195) which might not be relevant to you, but I'm not sure you can apply this patch to 10.2.3 (or is the problem not there in 10.2.3?)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the only thing I would be careful about with not upgrading is that you can leave yourself vulnerable to security risks. Just keep abreast of the latest updates, and what they all mean so that you can best make that decision.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 06:28 PM

Also remember that the problems that you see reported here (in general) are isolated. That's what the forums are for - to get help with problems. I generally don't come on the forum and post a topic that my upgrade to 10.2.4 went great (it did). I am running 10.2.4 on a Pismo Powerbook and a 17" 800 MHz iMac with no problems. Your mileage my vary...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 06:48 PM

I've been using 10.2.4 since it was released, and it has been flawless.

HeyMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 01:48 PM

Many thanks for the input! It's nice to see that the upgrade works out for some (or most).

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 09:32 PM

I've upgraded to 10.2.4 on three computers - a G4 Sawtooth, a Quicksilver, and an iBook 800. No problems, except:
At first, the iBook had a wierd behaviour - the system clock was resetting itself to 1970. Reinstalling the combo update fixed this.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Forum Links
Forum Rules