Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson 1670 and Panther

Epson 1670 and Panther
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 08:59 AM

I want to buy a new scanner, as the CanoScan N650U I currently have is an LCD device and I want one with a big shiny light in it.

I would also like for it to work in Mac OS X 10.3.2+, preferably using its own software, rather than a Photoshop plugin.

Does the Epson 1670 meet these requirements? From this thread there seem to have been some driver issues. Does anyone know if they are fixed yet? The driver offered for download on Epson's website is version 1.2s, if that means anything to anyone.

Will this scanner work with 10.3? Or is there another scanner that would be better suited for my needs?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

toans
Jan 12, 2004, 12:52 AM

Just bought one today...hooked up to the family PC, but give me a day or two and I'll go test it on my mac (With Panther of course) and let you know the outcome

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 12:57 AM

You want a Good printer? Get a canon.

You want to waste tons of ink and money, get an Epson.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:

You want to waste tons of ink and money, get an Epson.
I realize that you despise Epson printers, but the Epson 1670 is a scanner.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
But don't they use lots of heavy balls? Wouldn't that just make huge holes in the paper, rather than a nice, crisp image?

Anyway, as someone already pointed out, I'm after a scanner, not a printer, and when it comes to those I am far from impressed with Canon. Their support of the N650U has been abismal, and to get it working in Panther I had to chase down the driver off of their Asian site, as the American/International one uses a dodgy installer (all it does is dump the actual installler files on your desktop) that won't open in Panther, though seemed to do fine under 10.2.

Um... So the Epson scanner that I mentioned above seems to be a good'un. But I was hoping for some feedback from people who have actually used one with 10.3. Toans, please do let me know how it works out on your Mac.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules