Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone with this BTO setup - 1.67 15'/128 ATI

anyone with this BTO setup - 1.67 15'/128 ATI
yoshiTA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 08:13 PM

I'm currently using a last years 15' 1.33 PB. However, since speed is a neverending issue for me - mainly working with VFX content (Video & 3D) I'm just about to order a new PB.

I'm travellin alot so the 17' is a big no-no. The only things i'm concerned about are raw power and battery .

Has anyone here had any experience with the new (1.67) 15' machines running with a 128 ATI card? The reason I ask is because the other day a dealer told me that the 15's have major problems with the 128 ATI card. He told me about people whos machines just shut down because of overheating (this not happening with the 17' PBs due to larger case or whatever blabla). Maybe he was exaggerating. I'm just abit worried since a faster graphic card is one of the major reasons for me to get a new machine.

Any kinda input/facts/experience would be nice.

thx in advance

yoshiTA

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2005, 08:49 PM

Probably exaggerating, although I have no personal experience. It is true that the 17 inch pb's are a little cooler because of the larger case's better ability to dissipate heat. I have not heard of any problems with the 128 meg cards though.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 08:59 PM

Havn't had any problems with mine... i've had mine for 4 months now...
Never shut down on me suddenly..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

satcomtim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 10:44 PM

See Sig for my specs. No heating issue at all, had for over 4 months now. This thing runs "cold" compared to my last machine..... a PC Laptop (hadn't seen the light yet). It does get hot with the Processor set on Highest, but not really hot enought to take off my lap.
Mine:15" PB 1.67 SD, 128 VRAM, 1.5 GB Ram, 100 GB HD ~Tiger~
Wife: 12" PB 1.5 SD, 512 Ram, 80 GB ~Tiger~

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 02:20 AM

I have never had my machine shut down on me. ever. It gets hot when im running my audio recording apps, have my firebox plugged in, running a second 19" Samsung monitor, usb midi keyboard, usb qwerty keyboard and mouse but the machine runs just fine. I would love to hear from people who' s pbooks do shut down though since i have never heard of such things happening, good luck.
pandas.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

yoshiTA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 12:48 PM

okay, thanks alot for the quick replies! I was just worried. On a sidenote; comparing the latest gen.PBs with the previous gen's - what are the main gains? Do they produce less heat overall and/or has the batterylife gotten any better...are they noticeable faster? Also, am I right to estimate the current PB revision to be the last one before they get Intel'd?

again, thx for any replies

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 01:30 PM

No sudden shutdown issues here, either, but the PB does run hot, to the point that if you are running something that is CPU intensive (e.g. WOW), you can't use it on your lap w/o protection. This is my first PB, so I have no frame of reference for comparisons, but is a great laptop - runs fast, very nice screen, a little bit on the big side, but portable nevertheless.

KenDallas
Jul 6, 2005, 01:41 PM

Have had my PB for about 3 months now... no problem what so ever, but then again I dont use any graphics of video apps that would be CPU intensive. It has never shutdown unexpectedly, the temp seems to be under control (as compared to my previous Dell D600).

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by yoshiTA
okay, thanks alot for the quick replies! I was just worried. On a sidenote; comparing the latest gen.PBs with the previous gen's - what are the main gains? Do they produce less heat overall and/or has the batterylife gotten any better...are they noticeable faster? Also, am I right to estimate the current PB revision to be the last one before they get Intel'd?

They are likely having less battery life due to the faster processor. We might see a last PowerBook with the new Freescale PPC chip (MPC7448 which is pin-compatible with the currrent 7447) at Apple Expo in Paris at the end of september.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by yoshiTA

Are you the king lurker?

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 11:53 AM

i upgraded to a 1.67 w/ 128 video chip from a 1.25 superdrive model.

i would say the 1.25 would get hot, the 1.67 gets a bit hotter. haven't had any shutdown issues or anything like that. it's been working really well so far. i've only had it about a month though...

i'd say the battery on my 1.67 lasts significantly longer than the one in my 1.25 when it was new. my 1.25 would last about 2.5 hours tops, doing light stuff like word processing, surfing, etc. my 1.67 lasts more like 3+ hours doing the same. the keyboard illumination in the 1.67 is way, way brighter as well. it's definintely a faster machine, but it doesn't completely blow the doors off my old 1.25. it's nice having a 8X superdrive too.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

osxisfun
Jul 7, 2005, 12:40 PM

the fans in the newest models are super quiet. even at the rare times they go full blast its barely noticiable.

alianna_98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 04:07 PM

I have a 1.67 with 128 MHz video card that I've been using at least 10 hours a day for the last two weeks. I use it mostly for photo editing and some video editing. I have yet to hear the fan come on. If it does come on, then it must be super quiet since I can't hear anything. It does get very very hot, to the point that I can't really have it on my bare lap without a lap pad. Screen is lovely, though, and the backlit keyboard is fabulous. I'm also amazed that wifi receptivity is pretty good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules