Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7-inch iPad Pro owners

Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7-inch iPad Pro owners
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 20, 2016, 01:20 PM

Following some user reports of "bricking" and an "Error 56" issue that made the device unable to be recovered, Apple has pulled the iOS 9.3.2 update for owners of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. Currently, Apple is replacing unit that have been "bricked" by the update with new ones, collecting the unusable units to help it determine the cause of the problem. Thus far, the problem with the iOS 9.3.2 update only affects the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, and not other models -- so the update will continue to be made available to iPhone and other iPad owners. Not all 9.7-inch iPad Pro owners have seen the issue, with some upgrading to iOS 9.3.2 successfully.

Apple had said on Wednesday that it was investigating reports from some owners of the latest iPad that the update generates a false "hardware error" code known as "Error 56" for what the company says is "a small number" of iPad customers. "Those unable to restore their device through iTunes should contact Apple support," said a spokesperson. The user issue was accompanied by reports yesterday that some developers were unable to register the 9.7-inch iPad Pro to their developer accounts for testing, along with some developers also seeing the "bricking" issue.

Image via Twitter
Image via Twitter

Apple has not said when a fix will be available, and in the meantime is removing the 9.3.2 update through Software Update in the Mac App Store for owners of the affected device. Owners who have already upgraded to 9.3.2 and have not seen the error do not need to downgrade, as the problem is seen immediately after the update for the percentage of users who experience the issue. MacNN will keep readers informed when a software or firmware fix for the problem becomes available.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 20, 2016 at 01:42 PM. )

dmwalsh568
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2016, 01:24 PM

I really have to wonder at Apple's thinking...if the 9.3.2 update might brick my iPad Pro 9.7", do they really think I'll apply it to my iPhone? You know, the cellphone that contains my life?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 20, 2016, 01:34 PM

The problem appears to be specific to that model, but as updates aren't mandatory, feel free to hold off until the fix for the iPad Pro is out. I can only say that my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 are running it without issue, same as with the rest of the staff here (we have at least one iPad Pro 9.7-inch owner on staff: they upgraded to 9.3.2 without issue as well).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

sunman42
May 20, 2016, 02:08 PM

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro has been fine since the 9.3.2 update. It would be really nice to know what the frequency of this problem is, and if it depends on specific hardware components. Probability of Apple ever telling us? Zero.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2016, 02:32 PM

iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini 3 - all working fine after the update

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 20, 2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by sunman42 View Post
My 9.7-inch iPad Pro has been fine since the 9.3.2 update. It would be really nice to know what the frequency of this problem is, and if it depends on specific hardware components. Probability of Apple ever telling us? Zero.
Five Apple stores in Northern Virginia have seen three bricked pros, in total.

NickChapin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2016, 09:29 PM

So...is this issue corrected? I seem to have an issue finding the answer to that question. To date my iPad Pro 9.7 has always shown an update is available.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 2, 2016, 07:15 AM

Not as far as we're aware of. I'll make some calls today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules