Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gift for an 11 yr. old girl

Gift for an 11 yr. old girl
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2015, 01:59 PM

Daughter wants an iPod Touch. I personally think that its a waste since she'll be getting her mother's mobile phone in Sept (she'll be taking the bus on her own and coming home on her own next school year).

She asked for the iPod or a computer, so I'm tempted to get a tablet (8") with a bluetooth keyboard as well as a case. It'll cost a bit more than the iPod but (IMHO) will be more useful.

What say those in Da Lounge?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2015, 02:17 PM

Sounds like a plan. Are you going with an Android tablet and her getting mom's iPhone? If so, you can us find my iPhone instead of paying for whoever your carrier is child watch service.
45/47

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2015, 02:21 PM

Well, if you get a 8" tablet make sure you tweak the thing in every nook and cranny - Android is an abortion of an operating system and should be banned from the face of the earth for all eternity. Privacy nightmare, really.

But a cheap option - for less than 150 you can get what you need (case, RAM) - check around Amazon and newegg for deals, stick with brand names ASUS, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.. (most Chinese knock-offs come with spyware already built in, so avoid).

Then after your daughter gets her mother's mobile you can play with the tablet.
(If you meant to say iPad and not just a tablet, well, I can't justify the money imo }
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Feb 23, 2015, 02:41 PM

agree the ipod makes little since if she is getting a handmedown phone of some kind... even more so if it's an iphone.

The same argument *could* be made for a tablet... except I love my tablet more than my phone.

She will be thrilled.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2015, 04:16 AM

The phone that she'll be getting is a cheap Wiko with only calls and SMS service (and Wi-Fi). But she won't have that until September.

She still insists on the iPod Touch. Due to her recent behaviour, she might just get a lump of coal.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2015, 07:24 AM

You should press the coal into the shape of an iPod Touch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ham Sandwich
Feb 24, 2015, 03:30 PM

Well when I was that age, I didn't care about how "practical" something was, and why should I?

When I was about that age and wanted "an mp3 player," I looked around and saw that the first iPod came out. I wanted one, but it had a 5GB drive and it was $400 (yikes!). I didn't care that it wasn't all that practical. I didn't care that it would be outdated... I was just so glad to have a super sleek, polished white iPod, tons of storage for music, easy navigation, and file storage (as an external disk, well, it worked for a few hundred MB at a time). I liked using it and I enjoyed when people came over and asked about my toy. Looking back, I still have no regrets for wanting that iPod instead of something "more practical," just because I wouldn't have enjoyed using it as much as the iPod.

So, for you, I would go with the iPod Touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules