Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Switcher: Decision made + a review

Switcher: Decision made + a review
HunkFam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

Well, I made the Apple switch about 2 months ago and bought the 12" Powerbook. Which was NOT my original intention.

Let me explain. I had a bad bout with Microsoft in December and decided I couldn't trust their OS any longer so entered a long courtship with Apple, most of which was supported by THIS forum. A special thanks to Assassyn, whose advice was golden.

Ok, I flew back to the states and visited Tyson's corners in D.C. with the intention of buying the 17" powerbook, but I left with the 12" after considering my needs vs. the 2 products. It gave me some extra cash to buy some things I wanted (iPod, Virtual PC, Kensington wireless mouse, a good swichers book, Move2Mac).

The 12"er has been reviewed to death. I'd like to give some insight to that "switcher" who's out there trying to make a decision. By the way, I waited a couple of months to make sure I wasn't giving a glassy-eyed "first impression" report. Plus I'm lazy. Here is what I want to say:

Stability: The 12"er is more stable than a straight-jacketed Hermann Munster set in concrete. I've had it on since I bought it. Just close the lid when you're done, it goes into sleep 'til you open it again, at which time it starts right back up where you were. I had to reboot only once, when it wouldn't recognize a DVD I'd put in.

Heat issue: It gets very warm. Not egg-frying hot. But very warm. It's only something I've NOTICED...NOT something that has bothered me. You won't burn yourself. I've not noticed any "warping."

Speed: This computer is NOT super fast. I've made DVDs, used most of the MS products, played Medal of Honor, and done lots of Internet work. Of those, most give instantaneous feedback, including the games. Movie making and photo manipulation will have you waiting from time to time. Also, sometimes there is just an unexplainable "lag" while the computer thinks from time to time. Which is to be expected based on the computers smaller processor and weaker Cache systems. But for me, it's easily bearable and rears its head seldom for the work I do.

The Mac OS: This ties into stability, productivity, and speed, but i just wanted to highlight here that it is true what they say about the OS being intuitive. And all the programs I use regularly--Explorer, Entourage (like Outlook), iLife, DVD player, MS Word/Excel--seem to seamlessly fit into the OS. I've had no problems.

Productivity: The Apple's #1 benefit, IMHO. It is touted and hyped, of course, but it is true. The best way to explain it is this: You FINALLY get to spend time getting frustrated learning the intricacies of whatever software you choose to use. NOT getting frustrated becaused the OS is so intrusive by either causing your program to crash OR making you reboot all the time.

Aesthetics: This is an all-encompassing section. Quite simply, it is FUN and ENJOYABLE to use this computer. I look forward to it. The computer looks great, is intuitive to use, and is trustworthy. Every extra thing I've bought (iPod, memory reader, wireless mouse) has truly been plug and play. No drivers, no hassle. Plug it in and use it. Pretty much sums up the Mac.

Screen size/portability: Ok, it's not as big as my PC and certainly not as big as that 17"er. But I finally decided I'd sacrifice a few inches of screen for the ultra portability of the computer. It really is about the size of a high school textbook and is therefore VERY mobile. I like that. That said, I sometimes suffer from screen clutter. This is due to 3 things. 1st, the screen is smaller (duh). 2nd, The Mac OS lets me have a sick amount of programs open simultaneously, which makes me quite lazy in closing/minimizing them. 3rd, I haven't found the magical Mac command that "minimizes" all open apps and gives me just the desktop (like that small icon in windows that gives you the desktop).

Compatibility: This will take some time for you to get sorted out. MS Word/Excel are all easily transferable but other things are not. I bought Move2Mac and I would NOT recommend it. I could have burned my documents to a CD on my PC and brought them over to the Mac myself. The only thing I cared about was my Outlook e-mail and contacts, which Move2Mac does NOT do for you. Buy the $10 shareware Outlook2Mac. Works like a champ. Anyway, this WILL require patience on your part.

Disappointments: So far, I haven't been impressed with my Airport Extreme. It drops off line often and requires me to "reboot" the router from the Apple Airport software. This is NOT user-friendly for my wife, who only wants her e-mail "to work" on the PC. I'd probably buy another wireless router--it'd be cheaper, too--because wireless ROCKS, when it works. .MAC has also been disappointing. I forgot my original password, submitted for a new one which was sent to me, but DOES NOT work. Therefore, it's $69 down the tubes because I can not access the service and there is NO number or e-mail for customer support.

Ok, in short, I really love this computer. It works great and after a few months I'm very used to the small differences associated with a Mac. I listen to music while I work, I watch movies, I make home movies, I do stuff for work, I surf the Internet. Yes, you can do ALL of that on a PC--but not nearly as painlessly as with the Mac. Trust me. I have found that this Mac is really what I had always HOPED home computing would be--fun, enjoyable, and productive. I literally found myself avoiding my PC in the end because it just gave me too many problems.

One last plug: I've used the book "Switching to the Mac" by David Pogue a lot. It has been very helpful in MANY ways.

I hope this helps someone,

later,
Thad

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 04:02 PM

3rd, I haven't found the magical Mac command that "minimizes" all open apps and gives me just the desktop (like that small icon in windows that gives you the desktop).

In the application menu (i.e. in Safari the menu called 'Safari') select 'Hide Safari' or 'Hide others' to get rid of open apps. This works in every application.

Glad to hear that you're liking your 12".

sportymonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 04:29 PM

Hey HunkFam, Glad to hear to good (and honest) report. Am waiting to buy my 15" AlBook (hopefully Monday 6/23). Bought my son an IMac two months ago and he (and I when I can get in there) loves it.

By the way Mastrap Where is that icon on Windows. I have Winblows Me (splatooie, excuse me while I clean the bad taste out of my mouth.) and I have never seen such an icon. Then again, so little is documented.

Good luck. Hope to be meeting you all soon on my Powerbook.

HunkFam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 05:53 PM

I wrote:

3rd, I haven't found the magical Mac command that "minimizes" all open apps and gives me just the desktop (like that small icon in windows that gives you the desktop).

Mastrap wrote:
In the application menu (i.e. in Safari the menu called 'Safari') select 'Hide Safari' or 'Hide others' to get rid of open apps. This works in every application.

Me again:

What I meant was a way to immediately, with one keystroke, minimize ALL applications that have windows open. My problem is that I often have 5 or 6 windows open and I want them ALL simultaneously hidden.

thanks for the tip though--I'll use that hide others command,

Thad

ebisix
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by sportymonk:
By the way Mastrap Where is that icon on Windows.
The icon is usually present in the Quick Launch bar. I'm not sure how to get it back if you've deleted it.

However, holding down the Windows key and pressing D should perform the same action.

sportymonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 07:10 PM

Thanks, hope I won't need it ever again after Monday.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 07:36 PM

hold command and option and click on the desktop, it won't minimize all but it *will* hide all

you can do the same with any other app too (click on an app window and everything else will be hidden)

More fun, in most document windows the icon, well, you can click, hold a second on it, and drag it, for example onto the desktop or into the dock.

you can also command click or right click any titlebar name in the finder (mac hd in a finder window for example) and you'll get a dropdown of the files before it.

Hope you enjoy those
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 10:37 AM

I haven't found the magical Mac command that "minimizes" all open apps and gives me just the desktop (like that small icon in windows that gives you the desktop).
Look for a l'il program called Show Desktop on Version Tracker. It's just like that Windows item. One click and your Desktop is clean. Small download, too!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 22, 2003, 12:53 PM

As for Airport problems... did you install the Airport 3.1 software that just came out? I've been hearing that it helps a lot.

tooki

HunkFam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2003, 03:18 PM

This is why I LOVE MacNN and the Mac. DigitalEl, I just spent a whopping 90 seconds to download, install, and run Show Desktop. Works like a champ. I love this machine.

Tooki, I haven't been back near my Airport Ex in a few weeks, but yes, I did install the software...hopefully it will help.

As a side note to any potential Switcher--I installed the new Airport software because:

1. The Mac OS told me to
2. I trusted it (in contrast to the "critical update" with Windows--which is what drove me to Mac in the first place)
3. It worked. Quickly. Transparently. Flawlessly.

thanks again, everyone,

Thad

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 04:04 PM

HunkFam:

Regarding that amount of lag you see, how much memory do you have in the PowerBook? If you have 256 or 384 MB, try going to 640 MB (with a 512 MB stick, of course) and seeing if that helps. I know that apps tend to load faster and respond more quickly as you cram more memory into the system, so it's worth a shot.

Some people actually say that it's criminal that Apple ships any systems with 128 MB of RAM these days - the OS runs, but multitasking just isn't what it should be. I'd argue that everything should have at least 256, and anything with "Power" at the front should have 512 standard.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

HunkFam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 12:52 AM

Oh dear, I should have mentioned my configuration:

12" PB
640 RAM
Airport Card installed

Accessories:
iPod
Kensington Pocketmouse pro wireless (very nice)

Those are the basics--but,yes, I do wish I could put MORE RAM in there,

thanks,

Thad

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 11:34 AM

thanks for clear tale of your experience. mine is roughly the same and i now just forwarded the URL of this to some friends who are in desparate need of switching
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Un-Inferior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

Glad to hear that you're liking your 12".
in windows, you hit the 'windows key' + 'm' and it minimizes all windows. there is no mac equivalent that i know of.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Un-Inferior:
in windows, you hit the 'windows key' + 'm' and it minimizes all windows. there is no mac equivalent that i know of.
winkey+d will minimise all applications to 'show desktop'

selecting Finder then cmd+option+h gives the same sort of action

cmd+h to hide an application is possably my most used key combo.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 10:02 AM

Without installing anything extra you could Command+Option+click on the desktop and then Command+H any open Finder windows. Not the fastest way to do it, p'raps, but until Expos� I'm happy with that.

Originally posted by ngrundy:
winkey+d will minimise all applications to 'show desktop'

selecting Finder then cmd+option+h gives the same sort of action

cmd+h to hide an application is possably my most used key combo.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 11:04 AM

I use the shareware Key Maestro to "Hide all applications". I trigger this with the hotkey command-F11, although you can use something else.

I think, but am not sure, that you can use the software for free without time limits. Only some features are limited.

Anyway, might be worth a try. I was looking for the exact same feature as well.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Some people actually say that it's criminal that Apple ships any systems with 128 MB of RAM these days - the OS runs, but multitasking just isn't what it should be. I'd argue that everything should have at least 256, and anything with "Power" at the front should have 512 standard.
It IS criminal. It's incredibly misleading to sell a machine to run OSX that has 128Mb... it is completely, utterly, and totally insufficient. 256Mb isn't even really enough...

That being said, it's not just Apple. All the major PC manufacturers sell their base machines w/ 128Mb for XP. Have you ever tried to run XP on a 128Mb machine? It's worse than OSX... I promise. We have a few machines here at the office that run XP and haven't yet had a nice RAM upgrade... it's really quite sad to see how long it takes people to get things done, just because they're waiting so long on everything.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

kiskynet
Jun 26, 2003, 04:11 PM

and another... hold down option when you click a minimise button.. all windows belonging to the same app will minimise at the same time (looks good with the shift key slowmo trick too when youve got a load of windows open, hard to resist if theres a pc user watching)

zzzap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 06:49 PM

Also, you should check out LaunchBar. It gives you instant access to all your apps, Internet favorites and documents with a couple of keystrokes. It is especially useful on the PB 12" since it has such a small screen. It almost makes the Dock almost supefluous because it's so effective when you want to start an application or choose an already active app.
My 2 cents.

-zzzap

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 03:24 PM

2 things:
-I too am going to send this thread to a friend or 3 who would be better off on OS X. It's time they heard the reasoning why to switch from someone other than me.
-Another BIG thumbs up for LaunchBar. It's become one of those things I just can't be without.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2003, 04:39 PM

I agree about launchbar I have been using it for some time and it is very good. I use not just for launching apps but also finding and opening my files as well as for my safari bookmarks. In work where we have only pcs I miss it terribly.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

HunkFam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 03:57 PM

Thanks Everyone! And I finally got .MAC to work. Not any thanks to any service--I just kept trying passwords until I got one that worked

Thad

Forum Links
Forum Rules