Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who grew up to be the dead battery?

Who grew up to be the dead battery?
stupidFish23
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 03:01 PM

So, here's my problem:

I have a brand new battery in my PB Titanium 667. When plugging in the charger, the light turns to green after 15 minutes, and only a few percentage of the battery gets charged. I can not get past this behaviour. I alreadz reset the PRAM, booted to open firmware, reset the Power Manager, to no avail, I can't get the battery to charge fully. At one time after a Power Manager reste, I got a warning that the battery will die in 10 minutes, but I managed to work off the battery for an hour and 40 minutes after the warning. I then reset everything again, tried to charge again, but after 15 minutes it decided it's done again, no more charging. I checked the battery, it has 3700 mAh charge, so it should work, but it doesn't. Sam thing with my old battery. I bet it's a Power Manager problem, but I can't get the system to work with the battery.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Thanks,
Ben

PS: yeah, the title is from a Pitchshifter song.
nothing is when everything is alright
[email protected] ICQ: 153647416

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 03:08 PM

First off, what do you mean by "brand new battery"? Apple doesn't sell brand new batteries for the Titaniums anymore, so I'm curious what you got and where you got it. If it's new and yet has been on a shelf for a long time, it can actually be dead before you've even opened it. If it's a third party battery, what's the manufacturer?

stupidFish23  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 03:19 PM

I got the Battery from Germany. The battery is fine, as I could once get it to work for about 2 hours, and using

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

revealed the 3700 value, which is just shy of the 4400 max capacity the grep showed.

Plus my old and new batteries take the same time to charge and discharge. On the minute. So I donĂ¡t think it's the battery.
nothing is when everything is alright
[email protected] ICQ: 153647416

Forum Links
Forum Rules